Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Hybrid: Dynavin D99 Android e39 with DVB-T

Well I shelled out the $$$ for a new D99 / E39 Android computer. I also purchased the DVB-T box.

Its going to take me a few hours ill try document the install a long the way :) including a half way decent video at the end, Im sick of looking at phone cam or low resolution / out of focus shakey noob cam video on youtube!

compulsery carpet shot

Posted Image

Hi, have you installed the tuner yet? I've installed mine and have it running but I can't seem to tune it. Aerials are installed on the windscreen and I live in Palmy Nth which has good UHF freeview but scanning finds nothing. What country did you choose in the setup menu?

Hi, have you installed the tuner yet? I've installed mine and have it running but I can't seem to tune it. Aerials are installed on the windscreen and I live in Palmy Nth which has good UHF freeview but scanning finds nothing. What country did you choose in the setup menu?

Hey,

I left mine default.

It tuned up ok with the aerials supplied but I will say out of everything the DVB-T was a bit of a waste of money. I don't think its actually anything to do with the dynavin DVB-T tuner or dynavin unit but with the nature of terrestrial digital TV.

In Auckland it really needs line of sight to the sky tower to work properly. I’ve tried tuning it off different transmitters as well with less luck. It might work well in Asian countries where they have a lot more gain or are closer to the transmission antenna.

I thought I would have issues in the Auckland CBD however it turns out it works better as its closer to the tower.

It's not like it doesn’t work, but you cant just drive and expect to have picture seamless, not like the old analogue system.

To tune it what I did was drive up a hill with a great un-interrupted view of the city and it picked up all channels.

I've actually been looking around for a discreet better quality antennas but haven't had much luck in that department.

The old analogue TV works a lot better because at traversing hills / buildings etc

It tuned up ok with the aerials supplied but I will say out of everything the DVB-T was a bit of a waste of money. I don't think its actually anything to do with the dynavin DVB-T tuner or dynavin unit but with the nature of terrestrial digital TV.

In Auckland it really needs line of sight to the sky tower to work properly. I’ve tried tuning it off different transmitters as well with less luck. It might work well in Asian countries where they have a lot more gain or are closer to the transmission antenna.

I thought I would have issues in the Auckland CBD however it turns out it works better as its closer to the tower.

It's not like it doesn’t work, but you cant just drive and expect to have picture seamless, not like the old analogue system.

In Auckland, the main DVB-T transmitter is still Waiatarua (up above Henderson)

Sky Tower and some other sub.sites are effectively low-power repeaters

But yes, you'll find that any DVB-T mobile reception craps out at about 30 kmph

Unless you have a diversity tuner, in which case DVB-T goes to about 300 kmph

In Auckland, the main DVB-T transmitter is still Waiatarua (up above Henderson)

Sky Tower and some other sub.sites are effectively low-power repeaters

But yes, you'll find that any DVB-T mobile reception craps out at about 30 kmph

Unless you have a diversity tuner, in which case DVB-T goes to about 300 kmph

That fits my findings perfectly

Yes the DVB-T tuners are a diversity tuner. The aerials are only smaller old 'cell' like anntenna. Im considering making my own. However Im not sure how I can improve on the omni-directional aerial. Turning it into a wave guide / direction aerial will be pretty useless in a car.

I installed this Dynavin knock off (bought new from eBay for around NZ$600 inc shipping):

Posted Image

Really simple to install in my 1996 E39 - Just plug and play (apparently requires additional wiring in newer models with DSP) and it fitted like a glove with no modifications; just had to remove the MID, cassette deck and wood trim cover.

Only problem occurs when I put the headlights on (both running lights and main beam). The LED backlight comes on on the unit but keeps flicking on and off. I can only assume this is to do with the LED bulbs in my angel eyes or the HID kit for my xenon headlights. Haven't tried using the original bulbs to check but wondered if any of you clever electronically-minded chaps might know.

If it is is the LED/HID what can I do to solve it (other than use halogen bulbs)?

Incidentally, the unit seems great so far: GPS works well - I installed the GPS antenna (which was included) on the metal bar under the dash behind the unit (you can see it in Josh's pics above); DVD player, iPod, bluetooth, radio all a-okay. Haven't installed TV antennae yet (recommendations for those welcome).

Edited by jeffbebe

I've found another box while ripping everything apart that I think I can get rid of... "3 Media Group" or 65908385447 but I've stuck this into realoem and it didn't find anything.

Traffic info receiver for Japan. Allows reception of other data as well.

Waste of space anywhere else in the world. Discard.

Can anybody confirm that a little box which has a tiny coax cable plugged into it, and then another line out the other side which goes into the window trim... is a FM aerial?

The box is the antenna amplifier, and it connects to the on-glass-antenna

Depending on what window in the vehicle you are talking about, the on-glass-antenna will be TV-only, or FM radio & TV, or FM, AM, and TV.

I'd pick you're looking at the TV-only antenna. There are 2x TV antennas with an amplifier each, and a coax cable each, running back to the TV tuner.

If you want to utilise the on-glass antenna with a new radio setup, keep the amplifier and coax cable, you'll need it.

Only problem occurs when I put the headlights on (both running lights and main beam). The LED backlight comes on on the unit but keeps flicking on and off. I can only assume this is to do with the LED bulbs in my angel eyes or the HID kit for my xenon headlights. Haven't tried using the original bulbs to check but wondered if any of you clever electronically-minded chaps might know.

If it is is the LED/HID what can I do to solve it (other than use halogen bulbs)?

Okay, so I'm a dumbass. Reverted to original halogen bulbs - no change. Start tearing my hair out thinking the unit's f****d... Then notice the little instrument lighting dial next to the headlights switch. Never used it before - wasn't entirely sure what it did. Turned it up and hey presto. No more intermittent LED on the new head unit. Guess it doesn't like low intensity lighting!

So everything's sorted now. Haven't installed iPod cable yet as haven't decided whether to do the easy job (into the glovebox) or run it under the centre console into the arm rest storage.

PS Sorry to hijack your thread Josh but very similar installs I think.

I installed this Dynavin knock off (bought new from eBay for around NZ$600 inc shipping):

Posted Image

Sorry to Hijack but were did you get the cupholders from?

Hi guys any idea on who could do a top quality install of this unit in wellington?

• Like 1