Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Hydraulic Handbrake

I'm installing a hydraulic handbrake into my e30, am wondering which way would be the most durable/effective. It will be in the same place/configuration as original handbrake lever.

Either the "in-line' way which intercepts the line from brake MC, tapping it through the handbrake and back to the rear brakes.

Or, using a handbrake MC with its own reservoir, connected to the rear lines through a T fitting before the branch to separate rear brakes.

It won't be cert or WOF legal. Handbrakes must be mechanical & not rely on hydraulics which can leak pressure

It won't be cert or WOF legal. Handbrakes must be mechanical & not rely on hydraulics which can leak pressure

What if i get a clubsport licence & logbook? Then apply for authority card/lvv cert?

What if i get a clubsport licence & logbook? Then apply for authority card/lvv cert?

That may be different... I'm not sure on that. I just know its not legal for a normal road vehicle because its prone to fail with pressure loss over a long or short period of time. Delivery vans used to have them years ago and many failed causing serious damage.

Edited by *Glenn*

I run an in-line hydraulic handbrake in the 205.

The best way is to run it in-line. It's probably cheaper in the long run also.

Getting the master size right is critical otherwise you won't have enough pressure to lock the rears. Brett at Burton Automotive helped a lot with mine and i can't recommend him enough.

Tons of information on-line about them and you can buy fully kits with locks from most rally shops.

Mines covered under the motorsport authority card.

My master has a bled tap on it also, so should there be an airlock in the master for some strange reason we can bleed it.

Edited by DRTDVL

You would also be using your mechanical handbrake as well though wouldn,t you Heath ?? As I understand it you can have hydraulic for sports use but the vehicle must also retain the mechanical handbrake.

Edited by *Glenn*

Running an extra new pair of calipers is the best because if you run the handbrake inline, you aren't able to use your normal brakes/front brakes when you pull your hydraulic handbrake.

Running an extra new pair of calipers is the best because if you run the handbrake inline, you aren't able to use your normal brakes/front brakes when you pull your hydraulic handbrake.

Where the hell do you fit these extra callipers ???? enlighten us all with a link

That's not quite right. The brakes as a whole are still fully functional..

You do however feel the hand brake application back through the pedal.

The negative of this is it can upset your brake application, although its a bit of a moot point as you're not likely to be threshold braking if you're about to yoink on the handbrake are you!!!!

*GLENN *

MASSIVE in Canada do extra caliper mounts for E30 & 36 for the drift guyss.

Edited by E30-323ti

Ok maybe its you cant use the hydraulic handbrake when you use the brakes...does that sound right??

Is there no way of mounting a second set of calipers in an e30?

I just see another pair of calipers the ultimate way of doing it but the cost wouldnt really be worth it over just running it inline.

Edited by slideways

You learn something everyday... I've never followed the drift scene

What motor sports are you going to get involved with Andrew ??

I run an in-line hydraulic handbrake in the 205.

The best way is to run it in-line. It's probably cheaper in the long run also.

Getting the master size right is critical otherwise you won't have enough pressure to lock the rears. Brett at Burton Automotive helped a lot with mine and i can't recommend him enough.

Tons of information on-line about them and you can buy fully kits with locks from most rally shops.

Mines covered under the motorsport authority card.

My master has a bled tap on it also, so should there be an airlock in the master for some strange reason we can bleed it.

Thanks for that, Can I apply for an authority card before getting the lvv cert?

What motor sports are you going to get involved with Andrew ??

Not sure as yet, keen to get into some track days/drift days, learn a bit more about vehicle setup and take it from there. Hoping the Open class will change its regulations for non oem turbos.

I guess you can as they're sort of separate (you don't always need a cert when you might need an authority card, and the cert can't cover the handbrake (I don't think)).

Yeah, I did with my race car.

Common sense says yes it would be a WOF issue. It disables the intended functionality of the handbrake system which comes under modification of one of the cars braking systems.

cheers for that.

You would also be using your mechanical handbrake as well though wouldn,t you Heath ?? As I understand it you can have hydraulic for sports use but the vehicle must also retain the mechanical handbrake.

Nope i'm actually running front brakes on the rear of the car so they have no cables what so ever. Never had an issue with WOF's for the handbrake (lots for other things tho - generally Racecars and WOF people are like oil and water).

A lot of the new hydraulic handbrake mounting kits have locks built into them:

Posted Image

You can see the toothed slide and the locking bar that allows the handbrake to be applied for a period of time. It's not recommended for long periods of use as they can loose pressure over time, (i.e. holding a car on a hill) but does "lock on".

That's not quite right. The brakes as a whole are still fully functional..

You do however feel the hand brake application back through the pedal.

The negative of this is it can upset your brake application, although its a bit of a moot point as you're not likely to be threshold braking if you're about to yoink on the handbrake are you!!!!

*GLENN *

Yup as it's in-line (well my setup) the foot brake acts through the master for the handbrake allowing for normal pedal braking. The master will always be full of fluid so if your on the brakes and then use the handbrake you will still move the fluid in the handbrake master and apply much higher pressure to the rear calipers than the fronts allowing the rears to lock while still on the brakes for the front. I.e. coming into a hairpin - trail braking to the apex, and using the handbrake to help the back end around.

Nice little video explaining what i tried in the hairpin example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQTML5cIfkk

Ok maybe its you cant use the hydraulic handbrake when you use the brakes...does that sound right??

Is there no way of mounting a second set of calipers in an e30?

I just see another pair of calipers the ultimate way of doing it but the cost wouldnt really be worth it over just running it inline.

You typically need to fabricate new mounts / modify the hubs to mount the extra caliper. A lot of guys use these when they don't have the right master/caliper piston setup to get enough pressure at the caliper to lock the wheel on the factory setup easily.

The Authority card is an LVV cert it states it on the top of my Authority Card (Again WOF people get baffled by this)

Edited by DRTDVL

The Authority card is an LVV cert it states it on the top of my Authority Card (Again WOF people get baffled by this)

What am I looking at in terms of pricing for an authority card? And also do I have to join BMWCCNZ to get access to a scrutineer?

Thanks for your tonne of info, it helps to wade through all the misguided jibberjabber on the net these days.

Also would there be any reason why rigid tubing wouldn't be allowed? I want to avoid braided to keep the cost down.

i wouldn't screw around with brake lines...

I've got steel lines to the handbrake master from the pedal master. Factory setup is steel lines. I know some people are using copper lines now also.

I would highly HIGHLY recommend not skimping on brake stuff... it's what stops you! You will need flexy lines in some places and again would highly recommend not skimping and doing it properly. say it costs you a grand for all your brake stuff... how much would it cost you if you had a brake failure and crashed... do it once do it properly or you will spend much much more fixing it later once you realize this.

What size pistons do you have in the rear of your car? You need to take this into consideration when selecting the master for your handbrake... have a read about master cylinder sizing - the same applies to your handbrake master as it does to your foot pedal master. If your making new lines to your handbrake you might also want to look at removing the factory bias valve and fitting a adjustable bias valve while your at it.

You need to have a clubsport lic ($60 per year) and be a member of a MSNZ affiliated club (Auckland Uni is the cheapest at $10 per year) before you can apply for a authority card. The Auth card is a yearly cost - you need to also compete in 2 MSNZ events per year for it to be valid and accepted for the following year. It expires on the same day as your clubsport lic.

Edited by DRTDVL