Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

BMW E36 318is

So looking at another bmw this time im going to buy a semi decent one and will spend around $5000. Looking for a e36 318is coupe prefered in manual but auto is fine. I would like to know if these cars are good runners, any common issues? what to look out for on them? What about performance ive heard the 1.9l twin cam engine is a good runner and will put an 328i e36 to shame on the 0-100?

You should be able to pick one up for a max of 4000 in manual. The thermostat & plastic water fittings are usually the things to go first. I'd replace thermo if there's no evidence of being done.

I'm not sure about putting the 328 to shame, maybe in fuel consumption? Definitely not 0-100.

There is a 318is down here in qtown.

Not listed anywhere but i think it was around $5000, boston green and has some nice wheels.

Mightve been leather too? looks really tidy anyway.

Can get the number and photos if you or anyone is interested

318is is an awesome daily driver. especially around stop and go stoplight areas. shouldn't have sold mine.

What body?sedan/saloon How long?4433 mm How heavy?1395 kg What size engine?2.8 litre2793 cm³ How many cylinders?6, Inline How much power? 192.6 PS / 190 bhp / 141.7 kW @ 5300 rpm How much torque? 280 Nm / 207 ft.lb / 28.6 kgm @ 3950 rpm How quick?0-60 mph: 6.40 s How quick?0-100 km/h: 6.90 s How fast?236 km/h147 mph How economical?13.5/6.7/9.2 l/100km urban/extra-urban/combined

What body?fixed-head coupé How long?4432 mm How heavy?1350 kg What size engine?1.9 litre1895 cm³ How many cylinders?4, Inline How much power? 139.9 PS / 138 bhp / 102.9 kW @ 6000 rpm How much torque? 180 Nm / 133 ft.lb / 18.4 kgm @ 4300 rpm How quick?0-60 mph: 9.90 sHow fast?187 km/h116 mph How economical?23/31 US MPG EPA city/highway

I'm not sure which of the above figures put a 328i to shame? I think the 318is is a touch quicker than above, but sincerely doubt it would go beyond high 8s to 100km/h. Autocar UK tested a 328i coupe, at 6.4 and 149mph. As has been stated here before, the torque of a 328i makes it very driveable.

I drove a 'Motorsport' 318i and it felt slower than my e30 318i.

If pace is a concern, don't get one.

yes 318is is a good little runnabout

no it wont bet a 328i or a 325i etc .

try go for a 318is with 5spd manual as the 4 speed auto's are a bit sluggish and long winding up between gears etc

(see top gear christmas special 2010 going into jerusalem with the z3 which uses the same engine and gearbox set up)

they are a GM brand gearbox bit like a holden HQ trimatic uses but with a 4th gear overdrive.

the 1.9L m44 are better than the m42 1.8L more usable toque and betterair flow meter system .

the 318is usally have sport seats , body kits , better 16" alloys etc etc .

also consider a 318ti in motorsport spec same engine etc but about 100kg lighter so a bit quicker and use less fuel.

same back seat space as a coupe or sedan.

my mate will have one for sale very soon 96 with 160-170k red with 5spd ,16" etc probably around $4k etc

whatever happened to BMWs are sh*t and your new laurel/cef/barge/whatever it is you brought is awesome?

just got my daughter a 96 coupe for $500 with no compression 8 bent intake valves easy fix a few hours work runs great drives great only had 120k on the clock has the m42 twin cam same motor putting into my sedan just has a turbo hanging off the side.

just got my daughter a 96 coupe for $500 with no compression 8 bent intake valves easy fix a few hours work runs great drives great only had 120k on the clock has the m42 twin cam same motor putting into my sedan just has a turbo hanging off the side.

Bastard!

Bastard!

i can make it worse......its the second ive got at that price :wub:

Sold the wife's mint 318is coupe a couple of years ago. It had done 170k and gave us zero problems. Very uninspiring performance but comfortable to run around it. Got around $4k from memory

check out the times for last year wallacville hillclimb. There was a tidy 318is coupe competing which shows performance and pace has a lot to do with a drivers ability. 0-100 km is nothing if you can't make it around the next corner. 318is performance is fine.

http://triumph.net.nz/PDFs/Wallaceville%20...limb%202011.pdf

btw , check out a collegues mini 1275 time. 110 hp max.

check out the times for last year wallacville hillclimb. There was a tidy 318is coupe competing which shows performance and pace has a lot to do with a drivers ability. 0-100 km is nothing if you can't make it around the next corner. 318is performance is fine.

http://triumph.net.nz/PDFs/Wallaceville%20...limb%202011.pdf

btw , check out a collegues mini 1275 time. 110 hp max.

You have a point in racing terms Neal, but an E30 325 is not a 328 and and a 318is will be slower for everyday driving. Horses for courses though, I'm sure they'd be fine as an everyday car, just don't take on any 1.8 Corollas.....

i can make it worse......its the second ive got at that price :wub:

Ha! A simple shout my way would be much appreciated next time ;)

Ha! A simple shout my way would be much appreciated next time ;)

not a prob ill send you an email they come up now and then cant guaranty what they maybe like, got my e34 for 1k

Ha know worries, the more broken the cheaper they are.

I have an NZ new 1997 318iS 1.9 manual coupe with standard msport susp etc. Exhaust is full schnitzer, headers and all.

It sure as sh*t aint quick in a straight line, and without looking in the manual where it is stated, im pretty sure 0-100 for manual os something like 10 or more seconds.

It has a reasonably heavy clutch and a short shifter. Genuine forged 3l m3 wheels with pirelli something tyres.

What it does do however is handle better than any car I have owned (has well serviced/ replaced susp components) and is genuinely fun in corners.

Runs on the smell of an oily rag as well.

After replacing perished rubber window trim and replacing the headliner I am reasonably happy with the car, however uninspiring it is in some respects.

I really wanted a 4 door 318iS ltd.

I have an NZ new 1997 318iS 1.9 manual coupe with standard msport susp etc. Exhaust is full schnitzer, headers and all.

ACS Headers for a 318is? Never heard of them before.

Do you have any info or a link about them? Can only find 6cyl stuff..

ACS Headers for a 318is? Never heard of them before.

Do you have any info or a link about them? Can only find 6cyl stuff..

No info, I will admit to minimum interest really. I'll admit to not having seen the AC stamp on the actual headers, but then its very hard to see in there. I can see AC on the exhaust and cat etc... and then i see factory looking headers. Buy my car if you want them?

Buy my car if you want them?

Haha no ta, i already have an IS and enough parts to keep me entertained for a while. RHD aftermarket headers seem to be rarer than hens teeth hence why im building my own, just wondered if there was somthing I missed.

As for the cars themselfs ive found them a nicly balenced car with great handeling. Im hoping for a bit more power with my mods but it will never be a rocket ship. Definatly an enjoyable car to own if break neck acceleration isnt the top of your list.