Sign in to follow this  
MaxHeadroom

Another new member

Hi all, Just to say I've recently bought a late 2003 E66, and consequently browsed the forums and tested the warranty.

It's the 3rd BMW I've bought, 1st was an E30 for the then girlfriend. It was heavy to drive, and swore I'd never own another BMW. Some years & cars later, had to eat humble pie with a friend and got her an E39 M spec. Best car I've ever "owned", and still got it. Drives great. E66 was a spur of the moment buy (yep, the're cheap now) to tow a race car. Must say it's really comfy when there is a long drive towing, and it tows great. Problems only appeared between testing it and the dealer getting the towbar fitted. Park Sensor issues and assorted error codes. Hmmm. I'll be getting an OBDII cable & software and having a play soon. (Then likely another car with a towbar to take it to the dealers when it won't start anymore after my fiddling).

Hi all, Just to say I've recently bought a late 2003 E66, and consequently browsed the forums and tested the warranty.

It's the 3rd BMW I've bought, 1st was an E30 for the then girlfriend. It was heavy to drive, and swore I'd never own another BMW. Some years & cars later, had to eat humble pie with a friend and got her an E39 M spec. Best car I've ever "owned", and still got it. Drives great. E66 was a spur of the moment buy (yep, the're cheap now) to tow a race car. Must say it's really comfy when there is a long drive towing, and it tows great. Problems only appeared between testing it and the dealer getting the towbar fitted. Park Sensor issues and assorted error codes. Hmmm. I'll be getting an OBDII cable & software and having a play soon. (Then likely another car with a towbar to take it to the dealers when it won't start anymore after my fiddling).

(rear)pdc needs to be disabled when you plug in teh trailer plug,error codes can be triggered by faulty lights on the trailer or maybe by led lights on the trailer.Either way if a BMW dealer installed it it should be made right

welcome!

would be interested in seeing some pics! import or nz new?

welcome!

would be interested in seeing some pics! import or nz new?

Both imports, I'll have to make the effort and get some better pictures.

post-16328-1328687018.jpeg

post-16328-1328687035.jpeg

post-16328-1328687053.jpeg

Edited by MaxHeadroom

check out this thread about attaching pics ... their are picture size limitations in place.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=34872

Around the OBDII stuff. BMW only allows emmisions based codes through OBDII protocol unfortunately and are a bit useless.

You need BMW specific software such as ISIS or GT1 or aftermarket BMW specific such as Autoenginuity etc

he said between the test drive and the dealer fitting towbar, Maybe he never got it home? May be the towbar setting it off? the actual tow bar protruding from the bumper - like you say though disable pdc

Nices cars too! Porsche!

he said between the test drive and the dealer fitting towbar, Maybe he never got it home? May be the towbar setting it off? the actual tow bar protruding from the bumper - like you say though disable pdc

Nices cars too! Porsche!

Yes, lots to play with on these cars.

I sorted the Park sensors, seemed to be picking up the tow ball when the sun hit it. Just tweaked the innermost sensors positions slightly and its OK now. However, they don't disable when the trailer is connected. It's LED trailer lights, and they don't flash so at least thats good, unlike a lot I've heard about, even with dealer tow bars fitted!

I love the Porsches (911's) & love to hate the BMW's but have to admit they drive the best for any car in their class & age, like compared to S500 Merc's to the E66 or say Jag, Audi, etc to the E39.

Nothing can beat the feeling of an older 911 when it's driven in anger. Not "nice" but certaining the most exciting car you'll drive of that era.

When I got the E66, bar was fitted later than was arranged, so just hitched up the trailer & off to Taupo. It went really well but the alternator died. Got that sorted (under warranty) down there & it drove home fine, then to Hawkes Bay & back, no problems. Feels like something is just not quite right in the electrics / computer department but can't put my finger on it. Different things all the time but nothing really important. Dealer & Indy both said battery was a bit old and needed replacing. I am hoping thats it and will put in a AGM (?) next week. (& get it registered)