Sign in to follow this  
Damo

BMW 2002 take 2

Hi All - long time no post after the sale of the E30 beastie!

Finally got around to doing some work on the 2002 shell I have had taking up space for ages.

Basically its going to be a full repair and repaint on the shell, renew as many suspension parts as possible and get it moving with the help of an e30 M10 motor and the standard 4 speed.

It is mostly stripped and I have chopped out the rust, welded up, filled and flared where necessary the front guards and bonnet. The doors were half missing and have now got new panels welded in but a bit of shaping left to go.

Popped the front nose off, half of it was made of riveted panels and bog - luckily I have the front spoiler off my first 2002 so this whole area gets the chop!

Some pics to start:

Also I should mention i saved this from a front yard out Whangaparoa way, it is rusty as hell but I've seen worse!

post-168-1328571790.jpg

post-168-1328571835.jpg

What Simon said! I have just pulled a 5 spd M10 gearbox out of my car, let me know if you want. It shifted good.

Edit: Also, to what use is your old E30 being put these days?

Edited by tastic

What Simon said! I have just pulled a 5 spd M10 gearbox out of my car, let me know if you want. It shifted good.

Edit: Also, to what use is your old E30 being put these days?

Cheers for the offer - I have the 5 speed that came with the motor just not modifying more than I have to, there is mountains of work just to get this bodywork respectable :)

The E30 lived in Chch for a while, the guy apparently had to sell due to quake damage on his work gear. The new owner emailed me a while back and I replied, never heard of it since then!

I have a (blasphemy) widebodied RX7 for a track car these days.

Would loooove to turbo this 2002 one day!

Got sick of looking at a rusted heap and decided to finish off the panels I had spent 30+ hours cutting, welding, grinding and sanding:

post-168-1328742780.jpg

post-168-1328742796.jpg

post-168-1328742810.jpg

post-168-1328742829.jpg

Also see the gaping chasm where the front nose used to be!

post-168-1328742837.jpg

Some parts back from the powdercoaters:

post-168-1336437310.jpg

post-168-1336437319.jpg

So thats all of the suspension and subframe parts (that aren't being replaced with new)

Time to get back to some body work!

Puzzle Time!

post-168-1338504184.jpg

Are those green brake lines! :D

Sure are - I am still waiting to collect the green driveshaft halves, fuel tank and other various small items :)

Got sick and tired of working on dirty cars so decided even the underneath of this one is going to be clean enough to eat off (for the first week or so anyway...)

Nais, I like.

Some brake booster and line assembly:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome!! Are the green bits there to remind you how much work you've done once it's complete? :lol:

Likey likey!

Awesome!! Are the green bits there to remind you how much work you've done once it's complete? :lol:

Likey likey!

Haha! So true. I sometimes wonder why so much effort and expense has been consumed on parts that almost nobody will see again, unless they are a WOF inspector, or the car is on its roof (like the last one) :blink:

This is so sweet, what exactly happened to your last one?

Got a motor, front subframe and front suspension in the hole, complete with camber plates, urethane bushings, braided brake lines and shortened bilstein inserts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got the rear subframe, suspension and driveshaft in.

Yay for adjustable rear camber, though even more flaring is going to be needed once the ride height gets finalised...

Posted Image

Posted Image

what did they charge to powder coat your wheels?