Sign in to follow this  
savvi

looking at buying this 96 323 auto

Hi, everyone, im looking at buying this car and would like to no any bad points or things to check, is auto in this car reliable should gearbox oil be replaced its done 143,000ks, as ive heard of autos in e36s can be problamatic

cheers shane

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=451194236

when you test drive it you'll know straight away whether the gearbox has issues

it will jerk between 1st and 2nd (and if it's real bad then 2nd to 3rd as well)

it might also flair the revs between 1st and 2nd - almost as if it goes to neutral between changes and hangs there for a couple seconds

I've heard some people recommend every 25,000kms for those Jatco boxes and I would agree with that, they need all the help they can get to live longer

check under the engine for any oil leaks

check in the engine bay for any signs of coolant leakage / spray - cooling system is another fail point

just something to keep in mind, I had my auto box fixed under warranty and it cost the insurer a bit over $3000

it then started failing again less than a year later, so I did what I should've done in the first place and got a manual put in, for far less than it would've cost to get the auto repaired again (it was outside warranty by this stage)

just picked up a 96 328ia for my brother the other day

done 157k cloth 4 door , drives ok , buy now of $2500

also a mate of mine just got a 96 nz new one with the much better ZF gearbox and taller diff ratio

he likes it.

maybe look at a 328i not much different in price .

try get a manual or nz new or singapore import as they have the zf auto box.

when you test drive it you'll know straight away whether the gearbox has issues

it will jerk between 1st and 2nd (and if it's real bad then 2nd to 3rd as well)

it might also flair the revs between 1st and 2nd - almost as if it goes to neutral between changes and hangs there for a couple seconds

I've heard some people recommend every 25,000kms for those Jatco boxes and I would agree with that, they need all the help they can get to live longer

check under the engine for any oil leaks

check in the engine bay for any signs of coolant leakage / spray - cooling system is another fail point

just something to keep in mind, I had my auto box fixed under warranty and it cost the insurer a bit over $3000

it then started failing again less than a year later, so I did what I should've done in the first place and got a manual put in, for far less than it would've cost to get the auto repaired again (it was outside warranty by this stage)

at closer inspection it was imported from japan so more than likely have the inferior jatco box,

My compact came from japan and it had ZF box.

Check with the chassis number/build sheet what box it has

I think it was only the 6 cylinder Jap one's that had the Jatco box

either way, manual is way better in these cars

My NZ New E34 has a Jatco Box........ :(

na !!!! how did you come to that conclusion???

unless someone retro fitted it when they could'nt find a ZF if it crapped out etc.

but would require a bit of wiring etc to do

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i