Sign in to follow this  
JYN

2001 E46 M3 Imola Red / Imola Red

Hi all,

This is my very first post on this forum. I thought I'd introduce myself to the local BMW community.

Nostalgia:

My previous ride was a 1998 Nissan S14 Silvia with an SR20DET tuned to 272kW at the wheels. I spent eight years slowly transforming the car from bog standard to a very tidy and quick street machine which I tracked occasionally. It was a blast to drive. But it got stolen from my home in July 2009 on a weekday afternoon when my wife and I were at work. I still miss that car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, the insurance paid out, although I only got a small fraction of what I had spent on it. My wife decided the payout should go towards the mortgage - she's the boss <_<

So I spent the next year and a half saving up hard and found my new pride and joy - a 2001 E46 M3 in IR/IR and 6-speed. I picked it up from Masterton and had a smile on my face driving it back to Auckland. It's my first non-Japanese car. The performance, refinement and comfort all in one package astounded me. For once I didn't hear any rattles or creaks from a car... let alone a 10 year old car!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I promised my wife that I wouldn't modify this car - she's the boss <_<

We'll see...

Anyway, thanks for viewing!

Hey man! I think I remember your S14 from Silvia forum, I could be mistaken though. Both cars look incredible!!! Welcome to BMW family!!! I myself had S15 Spec R before I got my E36 M3. Very different car but I enjoy it a lot.

I used to have an 03 M3 in the same colour. Brilliant car!! I love your wheel selection too, nice choice! Welcome!

Very nice!

And welcome

Thank you!

I used to have an 03 M3 in the same colour. Brilliant car!! I love your wheel selection too, nice choice! Welcome!

My favourite is Alpine White. But the Imola Red is gorgeous, especially with the pimp Imola Red interior as well. Unfortunately I had to part with the CSL wheels. Finances got a bit tight with a newborn and single income, so something had to give. Hopefully I'll be rocking another set soon.

Hey man! I think I remember your S14 from Silvia forum, I could be mistaken though. Both cars look incredible!!! Welcome to BMW family!!! I myself had S15 Spec R before I got my E36 M3. Very different car but I enjoy it a lot.

I was quite active in the NZ Silvia forum back in the days! It's now full of kids... actually the age group of that forum hasn't changed... I've just gotten old! How do you like the E36 M3 compared to the S15? I love everything about the M3 except the notchy shifter - especially when cold and piddling around town - it's smooth as silk above 6000rpm though. And I miss boost.

Yeah S15 was a crazy car, very fast and lost of boost (had a few modifications on it). Very nice around town not so good on the open road. M3 is other way around town is okish, but highway, hills and track is perfect!!! I LOVE the smoothness of the engine too and the sound. I guess the class of these two cars is different. I love the interior of BMWs, even though my car is 6 years older than my ex-silvia it is still way more comfortable and eye pleasing. The only thing I had to get used to was leather noises from the panels and indicator switch, which now seems more natural than ever lol

One more question. What do you use to clean your cars? They look awesome!!!

Yeah S15 was a crazy car, very fast and lost of boost (had a few modifications on it). Very nice around town not so good on the open road. M3 is other way around town is okish, but highway, hills and track is perfect!!! I LOVE the smoothness of the engine too and the sound. I guess the class of these two cars is different. I love the interior of BMWs, even though my car is 6 years older than my ex-silvia it is still way more comfortable and eye pleasing. The only thing I had to get used to was leather noises from the panels and indicator switch, which now seems more natural than ever lol

I share exactly the same sentiments. The M engine and chassis is quite something. I was mildly surprised to have kept up with an Evo X at Hampton Downs. My driving skills isn't exactly superior.

One more question. What do you use to clean your cars? They look awesome!!!

LOL. I have a mild case of OCD and keeping my toys clean is something I can get obsessive about. I have a few hundred dollars of Meguiars products in my garage. One time last year, I actually spent 18 hours over four weekends detailing the M3. It was so sparkling I didn't want to drive it for the next couple of weekends. Kinda defeated the purpose.

lovely car and colour !

i will own one when i can afford one :)

Thanks!

I have a mild case of OCD and keeping my toys clean is something I can get obsessive about. I have a few hundred dollars of Meguiars products in my garage. One time last year, I actually spent 18 hours over four weekends detailing the M3. It was so sparkling I didn't want to drive it for the next couple of weekends.

what?.... that's not normal?

Welcome.

I share exactly the same sentiments. The M engine and chassis is quite something. I was mildly surprised to have kept up with an Evo X at Hampton Downs. My driving skills isn't exactly superior.

Have had a similar experience in my stock standard hatchback, the EVO-X looks to be quite a soft POS in reality. There is something quite satisfying about schooling someone in a new EVO on the track in a car that they would not expect to be fast at all, even up the straights the EVO was lagging.

yes welcome.

As a Nissan owner with 18" Ray's Gram light's & a M car in the other side of the garage let me say you have fine taste in automobiles.

Looks brilliant in red. Simple. Nice ride mate & welcome.