Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Bloody locals killed the Ohakune 1000

Ohakune Giant 1000 Cancelled

It is with great regret that the Ohakune Giant 1000 Committee has decided to cancel this year’s Ohakune Giant 1000 hill climb. The decision is based upon safety issues that may arise from the close proximity of the Ngati-rangi iwi picnic group to the competition circuit and the safety to picnic group, spectators and competitors.

The committee understood, based on earlier meetings that it had met all criteria and concerns raised by Ngati Rangi, local iwi and Kaitiaki of Ruapehu maunga and non-iwi agencies and were looking forward to an exciting event with great potential for enhancement for the whole community.

End of Media Release

Sounds like the local Iwi wanted more money than the committee was willing to pay. Sick of this Maori bullshit.

Sounds like the local Iwi wanted more money than the committee was willing to pay. Sick of this Maori bullshit.

this in a nutshell. Its such bullshit and this country is too soft to do sweet F all about it

Just take the land off them and host the race anyway.

Lol.

They're only one pressure group of hundreds who've decided to ruin the fun of the rest of us.

This sounds like a joke.... a picnic?

There are 100 other places they could hold the damn thing.

How absurd.

I just heard of this...sounded epic. I would have loved to have a crack.

another great event ruined.

It is sad. because of the events timing in proximity to Targa Bambina I missed it, but had planed on doing it one-day. I'm a bit sad I didn't make the trip down to do it last year now as it looks like a great event.

I remember last Targa Bambina a stage was closed because some Maori's wanted to go fishing. What was funny is that when we toured though we didn't see any fishermen. I know it had bugger all to do with fishing and more to do with them flexing their muscles.

read page 4 - http://www.ohakune.info/bulletins/ruapehubulletin.pdf

I wonder how long before they attack the 4wd tracks (http://www.visitruapehu.co.nz/new-zealand/4WD/), the quad bike adventure tours (http://www.tongariroquads.com/), maybe Desert Storm (http://www.epicevents.co.nz/page/9-motorbi...ts+desert-storm) for going through unpaved area's of the national park...

Edited by DRTDVL

Makes you wonder on the lost trade for the township of Ohakune in the ski off season.

I take it the picnickers aren’t involved or don’t care about many of the Town’s business reliance of the visitor trade.

Compare this to the Wiararapa which has no motorsport facilities yet has a very active motorsport Calendar. The Councils and Mayor’s are very support of any event that brings visitors & $$$ into the region and don’t mind roads to be closed to do so.

Just another reason not to visit Ohakune. The've cancelled 10% of the years event calendar in one swoop.

http://www.ohakune.info/whyohakune/events-news.php

Edited by Neal

The Councils and Mayor’s are very support of any event that brings visitors & $$$ into the region and don’t mind roads to be closed to do so.

Of course they don't "mind" motorsport road closures, have you ever been involved in a 'road closure' for an event?

When i was in the HB car club i was on the committee that did closures for gravel sprints, hill climbs and the Central Region Rally Series and saw what the cost for closure was.

Bearing in mind this was 10 years ago, but the CRRS (Central Region Rally Series) road closure cost was between 25,000 - 30,000 for the 3 days.

So as for shutting down the Ohakune 1000, it's not only the businesses losing out but the wider community as well. Council gets less $ then the community gets less services.

Thank christ we have people like Rod Millen who ARE willing to go the extra mile with alternatives.

Yep. Apparently even a small rally like this brings a lot of money into the community in the time its there, I know with Targa a lot of small towns really embrace the idea of us coming into their town, the local Schools all come out to see the cars and we all donate money to the Schools directly.

How would the Iwi like to explain to other residents that it was them that cost the community say $35,000.

I say take out an ad in the local rag as the hori’s did to organize the protest and give a breakdown of how much not having the rally cost the community.

How would the Iwi like to explain to other residents that it was them that cost the community say $35,000.

I say take out an ad in the local rag as the hori’s did to organize the protest and give a breakdown of how much not having the rally cost the community.

Thats an excellent idea!

that man is awesome!! a well educated man it also seems.

Of course they don't "mind" motorsport road closures, have you ever been involved in a 'road closure' for an event?

When i was in the HB car club i was on the committee that did closures for gravel sprints, hill climbs and the Central Region Rally Series and saw what the cost for closure was.

Bearing in mind this was 10 years ago, but the CRRS (Central Region Rally Series) road closure cost was between 25,000 - 30,000 for the 3 days.

So as for shutting down the Ohakune 1000, it's not only the businesses losing out but the wider community as well. Council gets less $ then the community gets less services.

Thank christ we have people like Rod Millen who ARE willing to go the extra mile with alternatives.

The cliffhanger motorcycle hillclimb has a road closed for a couple of days a year (as does a cycling event). The Carterton Mayor supported the event with minimal charges and even goes to the extent of providing a large gen set for the pit area for free. He even went to the point of leading the sighting run on a couple of ocasions and would also turn up for the fundrasing 1/4 and flying 1/4 Sprints. Nothing anywhere near $30k for the closures. There is a car hillclimb that is also run on a near by road. Similar deal for the car event which I'm hoping to compete in next year.

Ohakune Giant 1000 - Okay so the pinic went ahead they intvited every one to attend this pinic so why did the iwe who orgizinse the " Celebration "act the way they did racers took there took their own road cars up the mountain for a drive when they confornted by some of the iwe holding spares and sticks this result in the iwe damaging cars by hitting vechiles with their sticks etc denting doors and ocbsense jestures when people try to leave, What does this action mean to you guys doesnt sound like grown people to me and i have to amitee that alot of this iwe were out of towns your throughts please

------------------------

Nathan Saunders - Little do they know that we have the hole thing on camera, one guy was filming start to finish

about an hour And majority of them were locals, they live around here and i went to school with some of them.

Ohakune Giant 1000 - Okay so the pinic went ahead they intvited every one to attend this pinic so why did the iwe who orgizinse the " Celebration "act the way they did racers took there took their own road cars up the mountain for a drive when they confornted by some of the iwe holding spares and sticks this result in the iwe damaging cars by hitting vechiles with their sticks etc denting doors and ocbsense jestures when people try to leave, What does this action mean to you guys doesnt sound like grown people to me and i have to amitee that alot of this iwe were out of towns your throughts please

------------------------

Nathan Saunders - Little do they know that we have the hole thing on camera, one guy was filming start to finish

about an hour And majority of them were locals, they live around here and i went to school with some of them.

not surprised. i hope someone called the police.

I think what is making this worse for me is that I was really looking forward to doing the event next year. And after all the sh*t that has gone down with the f**kwit Iwi aka Ngati-rangi I doubt the event will ever be held again unless a large sum of money goes to the greedy assholes.

I bet the person who dropped off the very fitting present to the Iwi is no doubt a local and has lost out on much needed and expected income. Ohakune is dead this time of year.

I'd hate to think of all the bars and places the ordered extra supplies for the weekend.