Sign in to follow this  
khello

help finding a 550i motorsport

hi guys,

im in the market for a e60 550i motorsport 05-07. hopefully in white or black.

ive been scouring the internet looking for all the info i can on it ( hard to find nz/jap spec as most of the reviews are for the US models) is there a difference between them?

Also i want to find out how much i should be looking at paying for one of these?

what year is a good year to get ie lci etc etc?

any help or advise will be very much appreciated.

thanks

Seems quite a lot for a import no? I'm sure I've seen similar mileaged all the toys M sport NZ New versions for the same 50-60k price mark. Because the 550i isn't as popular as say a 525i or 530i you might have to sit and wait a few months, add 550i as a watch list and have trademe email you daily on every new 550i that comes on to the market. That would be the way I'd attack it!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Word of advice, speaking from experience, avoid imports, stick with NZ new, Esp with the newer cars, the extreme weather has severe impacts on aging of the car.

Word of advice, speaking from experience, avoid imports, stick with NZ new, Esp with the newer cars, the extreme weather has severe impacts on aging of the car.

The NZ UV levels ruin exposed rubbers way faster, but I've seen Jap imports with really hard rubber components hidden under the dash etc (was swapping parts between two cars, one Jap, one NZ new). It's like the environment in Japan sucks all the moisture out of the rubber.

Our Singapore 525i has rubbers in very good condition though, everywhere. I guess there is less pollution or something, to harden the rubber, cause the sun certainly doesn't seem to do it over there. I know it's very humid there, but maybe the temps are lower??? even the window rubbers only have minor perishing on the corners, where my mates NZ 540i has completely disintegrated rubbers with splits all over the place.

I think the biggest advantage of the NZ new cars, is that the history is FAR easier to verify as correct.

The NZ UV levels ruin exposed rubbers way faster, but I've seen Jap imports with really hard rubber components hidden under the dash etc (was swapping parts between two cars, one Jap, one NZ new). It's like the environment in Japan sucks all the moisture out of the rubber.

Our Singapore 525i has rubbers in very good condition though, everywhere. I guess there is less pollution or something, to harden the rubber, cause the sun certainly doesn't seem to do it over there. I know it's very humid there, but maybe the temps are lower??? even the window rubbers only have minor perishing on the corners, where my mates NZ 540i has completely disintegrated rubbers with splits all over the place.

I think the biggest advantage of the NZ new cars, is that the history is FAR easier to verify as correct.

and the cars are more likely to have had decent running,not just stop go traffic

And resale value, no issues with radio or NAV, easier to sell e.t.c...

I was mainly refering to electrical components. The sun is about the harshest element a car faces in NZ, bar the lower south which get a bit of snow.

The problem in japan is the snow, because of harsh winters and the salts used to salt the road, these cause alot of problems and in general much faster aging of components. Extreme weather is no good.

As for singaporean imports, your pretty lucky then, IMO they are the absolute worst, the humidity is hell on the wiring harness and the metals in the car. long term its just really bad. Ive seen cases for 3 year old cars in SG will end up looking as if it were 10 years old NZ new.

Edited by Escay

the humidity is hell on the wiring harness and the metals in the car. long term its just really bad.

Really? So here in Whangarei, where the average annual humidity is about the same as Singapore, I'll have the same problems? Singapore 84.2, %, Whangarei 82%. Singapore is warmer than Whangarei, so the moisture is less likely to condense on the metal surfaces. I'm not sure how they can be the worst - at this point, they're the same, but with less UV damage.

The wiring problems I have heard of ( not experienced) are usually in particular Mercedes models, which were prone to the insulation breakdown regardless of the climate - the recycled plastics used in the insulation went brittle over time. Even NZ new cars were affected. I've not heard of any harness problems on a BMW (or any other make) limited ONLY to Singapore imports.

I hear lots of people bagging Singapore cars, but very few actually have any first hand experience with issues. It's usually regurgitated from someone trying to sell something which didn't come from Singapore.

The wiring problems I have heard of (not experienced) are usually particular Mercedes models, which were prone to the insulation breakdown regardless of the climate - the recycled plastics used in the insulation went brittle over time. Even NZ new cars were affected. LOTS of these cars were imported from Singapore, and mis-informed people blame it on the climate, when it was actually a production fault with the wiring. It wasn't limited to specific markets.

There have been some very rusty/rust-prone cars imported from Japan. They do salt their roads, as you say, and can actually be worse than UK cars. Fortunetly most importers avoid the worst affected areas/cars and bring in better quality than they used to. Remeber the crap-boxes they brought in really early on? You could watch them disapear - plus loads of them came over as deck cargo!

I would always pick a NZ new car first, but manual E39's don't come along too often. The autos just aren't the same. The advantage of a Singapore car, is they are European spec, unlike the Japanese versions which are built for that market. My radio etc works in NZ without mods.

We have an LCI (I think), dark blue, Motorsport of course, 19" Motorsport alloys, imaculate condition, can get a finished price...

We have an LCI (I think), dark blue, Motorsport of course, 19" Motorsport alloys, imaculate condition, can get a finished price...

I saw that car in the weekend. It looks good and I understand the old owner traded up to a nice M5!!

I saw that car in the weekend. It looks good and I understand the old owner traded up to a nice M5!!

Haha, yes it is a nice M5, one careful owner and all that. ;)