Sign in to follow this  
timetodrive

Windscreen Replacement

Hi Guys,

I have had a stone cause a crack in my windscreen. I have insurance so that is no concern.

The car in question is a 1997 e38 735iL. Can I request that it is replaced with an Oem screen rather than an aftermarket? or do you just get what you get?

Cheers

Josh

I think you should be able to. I had a screen replaced through smith+smith. First replacement was a Chinese make which had a manufacturing fault in the rain sensor area. They then swapped the glass with an Oem and everything was fine. The first screen was only used as no other screen was available at the time. So, maybe they can order in if not in stock and you can wait.

You can, but you need to ask your insurer. You can also have it installed by non-muppets. I wouldn't recommend using Smith & Smith to anyone after seeing their work and dealing with them.

Recently had the same problem with my E39. Initially AMI was talking "after market" but I hung out for original and got it. Checked the replacement for the BMW logo and correct part No before it went near the car

You can, but you need to ask your insurer. You can also have it installed by non-muppets. I wouldn't recommend using Smith & Smith to anyone after seeing their work and dealing with them.

That probably depends on which branch you're at.

The guys in Whangarei here have been great - I helped fit my VW one, and they guy was VERY particular (More than I was!).

I'm insured with AMI too. There weren't any aftermarket in stock anyway, but they fitted and OEM VW one (the repair bill was about $3500!).

Try it. Genuine screens probably aren't all thay expensive - BMW body parts are often cheap.

have a good used one if needed.

e38 ones arn't cheap some have heater wires down the bottom to heat the wiper blades etc

etc etc

I had a crack on my e46 from a truck and requested an oem screen, They were more than happy I just had to wait for some reason as they could not source one here in nz. This was with state and smith & smith done it.

When the screen turned up I dropped the car in and they took the old one out only to realize that there was no outer stripping for it, they went out of their way to bring me some taxi vouchers to use while they waited over night for the part to turn up.

Recently had the same problem with my E39. Initially AMI was talking "after market" but I hung out for original and got it. Checked the replacement for the BMW logo and correct part No before it went near the car

I had exactly the same recently with AMI. I refused to let them put an aftermarket one in but did allow them to use Novus as they choked at the Team McMillan quote....

have a good used one if needed.

e38 ones arn't cheap some have heater wires down the bottom to heat the wiper blades etc

etc etc

In this case, I think they won't have too many options except an OEM replacement. Just get quotes from multiple sources and specify that they use an OEM windscreen due to the reasons Brent has outlined above.

Cool, thanks for the response guys, Have arranged to have an OEM screen fitted.

Had to be approved by the insurance company because of the price difference, but they said no problems.

Have used Smith and Smith here (Dunedin) in the past and they were ok. Going to try Novus as I have heard good things about them here.

Will let you know the result...

Had a stone chip today on my E39, very close to the A-pillar which had turned into a 30cm crack after being parked for an hour. Rang my insurer tonight (AA), they have arranged for Novus to contact me tomorrow. I queried them about whether I would get an OEM screen should it require replacement. They told me that the policy specifically mentioned the use of aftermarket parts but couldn't find that in the wording specifically. After a conversation with a supervisor they quoted a $1200 price difference between OEM and aftermarket. They reckon that any problems with rain sensing etc would be down to incorrect installation rather than the screen itself.

I'll have to see what Novus have to say tomorrow and have a proper look through my policy wording.

They reckon that any problems with rain sensing etc would be down to incorrect installation rather than the screen itself.

I'll have to see what Novus have to say tomorrow and have a proper look through my policy wording.

If you have any issues with the new one, complain like hell! It should work at least as well as your old one, before the "loss"

If you had an accident which damages a tyre (or 4), would they replace them with linglongs? I mean, they do the same job. Maybe any issues with THEM are down to installation too??? :lol:

BTW:

You got a heavy foot???

http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/115568.png

^_^

Only one fill up, all round town stop/start driving pretty bad I know, should improve slightly next fill as there has been slightly more country driving this time. Probably need to do the VANOS seals too!

Checked my policy wording online this morning;

"Repair or replacement of parts

We will decide whether damaged parts on your vehicle are

repaired or replaced.

Windscreens and window glass will normally be replaced with

new parts. If we choose to replace any other part, we will use

original manufacturer branded parts. These may be new,

recycled or reconditioned."

I reckon that says OEM replacement to me.

I'm with State and they let me order an OEM screen, polarized with new rain and light sensors, cost them a fortune! Love you State!!

you can always bring up the safety issue with non oem.

I use Vero and they relaced with OEM my argument was it what was in there in the first place. It cost heaps, then I cancelled the policy and put the car in storage, not intentionally the windscreen was shagged.

I use Vero and they relaced with OEM my argument was it what was in there in the first place.

good to know, I'm with Vero

I'm having my windscreen replaced on Friday by Smith & Smith through AA insurance. I requested OEM but AA said I would need to pay the difference between the aftermarket screen and OEM (which I can't afford to do).

AA also said that the aftermarket screens are made in the same factory as the OEM ones, but they just don't get the BMW 'stamp' put on them. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I'm booked in for an aftermarket replacement now but wondering what people think?

Did a little research and apparently it is fairly common that they will supply a Pilkington windscreen. Same brand and same thing as the original BMW one, only it doesn't have a BMW logo on it.

I'll be happy if it is this, but if not I'll be talking to AA about their lies.

Depends on the company doing the work... Smith & Smith use a lot of XYG which I believe is a Chinese manufactured part. Yes Pilkington are an OEM supplier, so in that respect they may be made in the same factory, have the same production process/equipment and similar levels of qualification & specification. I have no problem with products from acknowledged OEM suppliers like Pilkington or Sekurit/Saint-Gobain - the BMW logo doesn't make any difference to me for a windscreen. I specifically asked for one of those brands but Smith & Smith didn't stock them when I needed one ironically.

My gripe with the XYG product was that nobody could provide any standards that it was manufactured to, or performance specs it met. The insurance rep then went on to say that "it's fine, it fits the car - I just put one in my car" but had no idea about quality standards, type approval, or even where it was made - i.e.: he didn't care about anything except the cost. My response was that if BMW weren't prepared to use these guys for OEM supply then there's obviously a reason for it - and my pick would be poor quality or not meeting performance specifications. Automakers aren't shy about squeezing every cent they can from a supplier or changing to someone cheaper.

Interestingly, if you have rain sensors they only use OEM - so there is obviously some subtle difference and they are aware of it.

I'm having my windscreen replaced on Friday by Smith & Smith through AA insurance. I requested OEM but AA said I would need to pay the difference between the aftermarket screen and OEM (which I can't afford to do).

AA also said that the aftermarket screens are made in the same factory as the OEM ones, but they just don't get the BMW 'stamp' put on them. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I'm booked in for an aftermarket replacement now but wondering what people think?

I had the same discussion with the AA a few months back. Wanted OEM but they wanted to go after a few phone calls settled on a Saint Gobain/Sekurit (same manufacturer as the OE part, but without the roundel stamped on it) screen. I wasn't happy with a Chinese screen for the reasons that el marco stated. When I spoke to the dealer they advised against after market as well, their quote was $1200 though they don't reuse the rain sensor, you get a new one.

Novus installed my replacement glass and re-used the rain sensor. It might pay to make sure that the installer is familiar with the BMW procedure for windscreen replacement (I found a copy of the TIS on Spaghetti coder but I see it's been taken down) because if they get it wrong you can apparently get quite a lot of increased wind noise. Also if they re-use your rain sensor make sure that it is adhered properly to the screen after re-installation, any bubbles will effect it's sensitivity detrimentally. The installer did guarantee the work, obviously, and said they'd re-so it if I wasn't happy with the wind noise or rain sensor effectiveness.

Quite happy with the screen I had fitted, wind noise not an issue, but pleased I persevered and got the better screen. Good luck.

Appreciate the replies. As AA have stated to me twice over the phone that the aftermarket screens are made in the same factory, if Smith & Smith show up tomorrow with anything but a Pilkington, I will tell them to go back to where they came from while I call AA and complain.

I'm pretty sure that once I catch them lying (if they were lying), they'll be forced to bend over and get me an OEM one.

My car doesn't have a rain sensor so luckily it is not another thing I need to worry about!

I had my Windshield replaced about 2 years ago, with an aftermarket one. The car has the rain sensor, and it has developed bubbles, which makes the auto rain wipe mode work incorrectly. This was an insurance claim with AMI.

I have arranged to have the windshield replaced, as it is a manufacturing default. I've also asked that the replacement be an OEM windshield, as the aftermarket ones are just plain crap, you can also see ripples when you look out of the windshield to the left and right sides.

Hopefully AMI will approve the replacement to be an OEM.

So Smith & Smith showed up with some shoddy Australian knock-off screen which I asked him about. He tried to tell me that:

A: Pilkington doesn't exist anymore (website says differently)

and B: That the Australian glass was made in the same factory as the original BMW ones. I'm calling bullshit.

He's still putting the screen in my car now but he told me to call AA about it if I'm not happy, which I'm not. So I have called AA and complained. They're going to listen through the calls I made to them over the last few days and check that what their staff were saying was incorrect. They're going to get back to me.

So not only am I unhappy with the screen, the guy has just finished with it and the fit is a bit crap. He's left some gaps round the seal which are obvious and things like the interior mirror positioning are slightly but clearly off. :(