Sign in to follow this  
timetodrive

Windscreen Replacement

So not only am I unhappy with the screen, the guy has just finished with it and the fit is a bit crap. He's left some gaps round the seal which are obvious and things like the interior mirror positioning are slightly but clearly off. :(

I learnt the hard way that if you're not happy don't even let them touch the car. When you deal with these companies never compromise. It's not in your best interest as the insurance company/Smith & Smith won't remember that you were good to deal with or a pain.

Take photos and send to the person processing your claim.

You always have the Insurance Ombudsman if you really need them.

Edited by NZ BMW

Thanks, yeah I'm regretting letting this guy put the glass on my car now. Looking at the screen you can quite visibly see the reflections distorting quite a lot, especially in the middle of the screen near the top. Pretty substandard if you ask me.

Has anyone even heard of this Australian Autoglass brand? Couldn't find a glass manufacturer by that name online.

Going through the exact same situation now, but I'm with NAC and I have an old E30 so I won't have the rain sensing problems you guys have.

NAC have ok'd me to request an OEM or Sekurit/Pilkington windscreen as long as I pay my excess of $150, so then I called Smith and Smith Hamilton to organise. The lady has requested that I have an OEM screen, or at the least a Sekurit/Pilkington and understood that I didn't want any cheap copy. We'll see how this goes.

It's not going to help, but seems things have changed a lot since I last made a windscreen claim...

7-8 years ago, I claimed a E36 coupe windscreen and I was allow to use OEM screen and had the work done by Jerry Clayton BMW. That was AA, no excess.

2 years ago on my VW had got broken into and need a driver door window, I can use OEM glass and work performed by Giltrap VW. That was Lumley, no excess,

Anyway, I am pretty sure they have a clause in the policy that says they will restore the car to "pre-accident condition", surely that would mean an OEM glass if you had one to start with?

I had this issue. I asked for OEM but they refused. The cracked one wasn't OEM so I couldn't really be bothered fighting (what's the real difference?)

I think I was lucky to convince them to replace as it was really just a small chip that could have been repaired.

I think I am Lumley and Smith & Smith. Came to my work to do it, looks fine.

AA called this morning and they're organising to have both Smith & Smith staff and an AA rep look at my car together. Jeeze they're hard about this stuff. I honestly think that whoever they send are just not going to see things my way because they won't care like I do and like members of this forum would care if it were theirs.

If you're picky about glass, seriously don't use AA.

Final update: AA have decided to supply me with an OEM windscreen! They're calling an original BMW screen OEM so I'm unsure whether it will be just a Pilkington or a BMW Pilkington. Either way I'm happy with this result.

Their reasoning behind it was that I picked up on their staff using the 'made in the same factory' description which wasn't what they were supposed to be advising. They made sure I knew this wouldn't happen again in any future case unless I pay the difference.

In that case, personally I'd make sure that they knew that after it's all sorted they wouldn't be getting my money again either, and start shopping around insurance company's. Two can play at that game.

This problem comes around again.

My E34 has 3 massive stone chips which have turned into cracks.

Called Insurer, Called "glazing company 2", they tried the usual bullshit of saying how their Chinese windscreens are absolutely the same and I won't notice the difference...

They sent a Quote for a Genuine windscreen to Insurer which they have rejected, and won't budge at all. claiming the windscreen which is a "Non- Catalogue" (wtf) is absolutely the same and not different at all to the Genuine example.

Meanwhile I was at the Dealership getting sh*t for an M52 E30... and asked on the offchance if he could quote one. apparently around $450.

AMI are claiming that it's going to cost more than $600 MORE than the Quote to fit this "non cataloge" pile of arse in...

*supposedly the quote for the replacement is around $350.

Bet it's because my car is 19 years old.

What do. I might just get a few quotes of my own. I CAN NOT be bothered with another chinese screen, due to the fact they CONSTANTLY get dirty. on the inside... and require a massive scrub.

Edited by antil33t

It's funny how insurance companies are happy to take your premiums and offer no excess glass cover as a point of difference when they know what make and model your car is, and should have a good idea what quality parts cost for these vehicles regardless of their age. I mean if you had an E-type Jaguar or an old Bentley I bet they wouldn't try this on with Chinese screens and the like, or maybe they would?

Keep persevering with them, I and others have had progress with insurance companies on this.

meh. i have had two chinese screens in my E34 while i have had it (long story). but ive never had a problem with either of them. was the original one when i brought the car.

at the end of the day. a window is going to get dirty. and if it leaks its due to poor fitment, not the screen it self.

of course, the exception would be a 7er or whatever that has imbedded aerials etc, but the E34 etc doesnt have any of that even the top spec ones (except tourings in the back windows coz they are awesome)

Yeah, If they weren't worse than a 20 year old windscreen I'd go for it.

not actually worried about having the wee BMW logo, just want something quality. I have to drive this car, I want to be able to see. I don't know why people don't care about such things.

The issue is they get dirty after a few days on the inside, that horrible crap on the inside like someone's smoking or that vinyl polish.

I'm really picky about what goes into my cars... *ask anyone that knows me*..

Going to get some quotes after I wake up hopefully... Might even try Smith and Smith for luls.

Edited by antil33t

Don't know about the M3 but I had the other two 36's screens replaced with what I can only assume would be Chinese replacements and have had no issues with with them.

The issue is they get dirty after a few days on the inside, that horrible crap on the inside like someone's smoking or that vinyl polish.

Im confused, are you implying that the windscreen its self is producing this "horrible crap" that needs to be cleaned off? i cant see how a Chinese screen is going to be any more dirty than an OEM screen in the same conditions...?

They get dirty very quickly, obviously a windscreen can't produce anything. I guess breath and other things that fly around in the car or come up via the heater stick to it easier than good quality glass.

Anyway... Just got a letter today, I'm no longer being covered for front windscreens. And they've sent me a cheque for what they deem a windscreen replacement to cost.

They can go get their kickbacks of their sh*t inferior glass all they like I will have no part in it thank you.

Edited by antil33t

I'm with Tower Business insurance and got a crack in the e39 windscreen with a rain sensor. Ringing up Tower the guy just told me they recommend Smith and Smith and I told him that was inconvenient as I was already taking it to Jeff Gray's to have work done so would prefer it was out of action for as little time as possible and the guy on the phone just approved it there and then. No quotes, no nothing. I got a claim number and passed it onto Jeff Gray's and told them I wanted the real deal and never talked to Tower about brands or prices or anything.

I've actually had a really good result with Tower Business, I think maybe they treat you a bit better because you're a business?? They're pretty damn cheap too at around $450/yr for full insurance on a 3L car for an under 25.

I would suggest everyone to investigate business pricing on insurance, you don't need to actually have a real business, just pretend you sell stuff and then sell 1 thing per year on trademe and hey presto!

I've had some bad experiences with after market windshields on my e39. The first one i had replaced for my 540i had a rippling effect when you looked to the sides of the windshield, then the rain sensor delaminated. I've just had the M5 windscreen replaced with an aftermarket windshield, and this one has some large hand prints in between the glass all over the windshield (yes i've tried cleaning both sides lol). I've asked my insurance company to pay for the difference of a genuine bmw screen this time around. I'm fed up with this 'oem' quality rubbish.

F me.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as aftermarket windscreens.

I should pay more attention next time.

:unsure:

Here is something else to consider when choosing, and something I didn't realize until recently, the OEM screens are actually thicker and manufactured to a much higher standard, this may not seem like much but your windscreen is a major structural rigidity point and if replaced with a lesser quality screen it can actually reduce chassis stiffness.

thats all id like to say about that

Except your insurance company will be total wankers about it and you'll have to fork out yourself over half the cost of it.

Basically Insurance companies in NZ support poor quality repairs and apparent safety issues.

Really interesting read in here I'm thinking. Touch wood, I've never had an issue on getting genuine replacement glass......

Antill - you've had a $hit go from your company I reckon...................!!!!!!

Given the way new screens are now bonded in, rather than with a rubber seal...........here's some words you could maybe try when they are trying to give you a Tai(Chi)nese one......."Is that compatible with my airbags?? Is that made to same std as OEM screen......?? Prove it..........."

Remembering its got to be a 'safe' repair......... ;)

None of those work.

I tried. They'll just say their blind assessor says it's EXACTLY The same and made in the same factory.

I take it China is part of the UK now. (where new E34 screens are made)

It's probably because I have an older car, which is worth less... but f**k them, do it once do it right.

Edited by antil33t

Here is a pic (which does not do justice to the amount of haze, and finger prints left in between the two sheets of glass) It's actually dangerous in direct sun-light. Even glass companys will swear black and blue that the oem quality glass and the oem glass are from the same factory.. Now that may well be true, but I'll bet there are more stringent QC checks before the glass is supplied to vehicle manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes etc.

Posted Image