Sign in to follow this  
timetodrive

Windscreen Replacement

on the windscreen there will be a code that says DOTxxx

and you can look that up and it tells you where and what factory made the screen :)\

and yeah, glass companies must be getting the kickbacks on this rubbish.

Edited by antil33t

When you insure the car, they do ask what brand it is..... if you tell them it's a BMW, surely they should be able to work out it has BMW parts on it???

maybe next time you insure a car, tell them it doesn't matter what brand/model it is, because they try to use aftermarket parts anyway.

Might not be a bad idea.

for everyone's information. it costs $761 Inc GST for a brand new genuine windscreen fitted to an E34 (at CHBMW). Not even that much compared to the premiums I pay. which have obviously been 3-4x more than that in the time I've had the car.

Apparently a glazing company told my Insurer genuine windscreens cost $1200 for the part alone and couldn't see how I could get it for less....

Edited by antil33t

Ba$tards........

Bit like with Chch ae mate - EQC & insurers are happy to take the money via premiums, yet 3 years later we've still got people living in garages etc.............

The worth of any insurance / cover / premium is never validated until it becomes time to make a claim......

MOST insurance companies in NZ unfortunately have a macdonalds approch to insruance.

Like most of the generic motor trade industry in this country unless its a toyota, ford, mazda or falcodore they just dont understand it.

Things like rain sensors have only just started appearing on cars recently while BMW has had them for over ten years.

The aussie made screens are just imported asian ones. That same factory rubbish doesnt make them windscreen experts.

Have a look at your insurance policy with a fine tooth comb. At the end of the day if you threaten court with insurance companies you will win. Because it costs a lot more for them to defend in court for such things. Something I learnt from 'loss adjustment officier' one time.

Tried that out once and it worked :)

Always document and threaten court if youre not getting your entitlement on your claim. However read the fine print!

Apparently a glazing company told my Insurer genuine windscreens cost $1200 for the part alone and couldn't see how I could get it for less....

Because repairers hate insurance companies.. so when it comes to the small stuff or if a company cant be bothered doing the work, they quote high to make it go away. This is how a lot of cars are writen off.

I have called three different insurers today, and all 3 have told me that they would simply replace the windscreen, no matter what is in the car with whatever they could get "most economically" and I didn't even tell them what kind of car I had, other than that it was a BMW, which has just got a brand new BMW windscreen.

One guy tried to tell me that they replace it for like... this means that if the windscreen has a tint strip it is replaced with another with a tint strip... I then made him clarify this.

he then goes off to the claims team who said that it's actually whatever we can get the cheapest, that looks the same.

So yes, "for like" my arse.

Who else should I call?

I'm with AMI, and i've found if you argue enough you can get a genuine windshield. What helped me though is the bad experience in the passed with the aftermarket crap glass repairers seem to endorse. AMI told me that the price difference between oem and aftermarket is not that big (e39 wise) so I simply used that against them and told them to get me a genuine windscreen. I also have house and contents with them so Im sure they appreciate my business with them...

I don't understand why anyone would not just get an alternative quote off their own bat to compare to their insurance company. Then at least you've got some facts rather than just complaining down the phone to them about such a rough deal. If it is within a couple of hundred dollars maybe they will come to the party, if not you can do a deal to front up with the extra $'s.

I don't know about the rest of you on here but my time is better spent on other things rather than dying in a ditch about it. I'd rather pay a little extra to replace my now 12Y/O glass which has its fair share of normal wear and tear. If I had a brand new screen in there then I guess that would be a different story.