Sign in to follow this  
GerryAttrick

How do I force my BMW E39 GPS to acquire satellites

GPS has been working fine since I have had the car but on the last 2 trips it has completely failed to get a lock on any satellites. It keeps thinking I am starting out somewhere where it seems to have been last used successfully and now keeps telling me "Return to the Planned Route"

How can I make it re-aqcuire the GPS Satellites?

If it is going to involve a major repair then it might be time to think about upgrading to the big screen version version (Mk11?). It might also fix my problem that most of my TV stations no longer come in very well and seem to have the "MUTE" message showing at the bottom of the screen....sigh :unsure:

GPS has been working fine since I have had the car but on the last 2 trips it has completely failed to get a lock on any satellites. It keeps thinking I am starting out somewhere where it seems to have been last used successfully and now keeps telling me "Return to the Planned Route"

If it is going to involve a major repair then it might be time to think about upgrading to the big screen version version (Mk11?). It might also fix my problem that most of my TV stations no longer come in very well and seem to have the "MUTE" message showing at the bottom of the screen....sigh :unsure:

Have you placed anything on the rear parcell shelf and covered up the gps antenna ?

Sorry , not sure where it would be on Touring

Edited by Neal

might be unrelated but i manage a supercheapauto

we see a gps returned with issues maybe once every 3 months

ive had 5 this week complaining of not being able to pick up satelights

could be an issue with the network or solar interference

id look into it before you shell out big money

all the ones ive seen come and go with reception randomly

will let you know if i hear any more

I have a MKIV GPS and you can access a service mode which gives you satellite data, number of sats, signal strength, almanac info.

If you have a 4:3 screen you might have a MKII nav system, I am not 100% sure but I think you can access a service mode there too;

This from M5board.com -

1. Service mode menu

If you have a MK2 Nav System (female voice), you can bring up a Service Mode Menu as following:

* Set ignition to pos. II

* go to "settings"

* push the MENU button for at least 20 s

The service menu has some TV, GPS Data and telematik options and info. For example it's possible to get GPS satellite status and your lat, long, altitude, speed and heading.

Hopefully this will tell you what satellites you are receiving and could give you an indication as to whether or not your GPS antenna is working properly.

Could be wrong but I think the 16:9 screen nav systems are Mk. III or Mk. IV

Alan - pretty much as Tim has posted, goes into service mode after holding the "menu" buton for about 8 secs.

Into GPS data & checke the sattelite reception/strength.

Should see about six satellites.

Try disconnecting the battery for a while & see if it reboots correctly:-

If still an issue -could be a problem with the GPS antenna of the receiver in the nav unit. I can help you out either way.

Upgrading to widescreen won't fix the problem or the upcoming analogue shutdown as the OEM digital video modules are the wrong format for NZ. This too can be overcome though.

Get in touch if you need a hand

Alan - pretty much as Tim has posted, goes into service mode after holding the "menu" buton for about 8 secs.

Into GPS data & checke the sattelite reception/strength.

Should see about six satellites.

Try disconnecting the battery for a while & see if it reboots correctly:-

If still an issue -could be a problem with the GPS antenna of the receiver in the nav unit. I can help you out either way.

Upgrading to widescreen won't fix the problem or the upcoming analogue shutdown as the OEM digital video modules are the wrong format for NZ. This too can be overcome though.

Get in touch if you need a hand

Thanks guys - especially Tim & Hotwire. I was pretty sure you would pop up with the answer Grant... and you beat Jochen to the punch.

I was going to disconnect the battery first and see if it resets but its been too wet to stand in the dark and rain to do it. Must clear out junk from "Er Indoors" so I can actually get my car in the garage. :unsure:

I'll try the menu check first as I can do that from the warm and dry inside the car.

I'll get in touch with you shortly about fitting a rearview camera and have a chat about the widescreen and digital conversion options at the same time

I've thought a couple of times about selling the Touring but everytime I drive it I fall in love with it again...I think I'll have this wagon for a while to come yet so might as well start adding all the "toys"...just need to get the pixel fix done on the instrument panel first and then I can decide what comes next.

Turn ign off, wait for car to go to sleep. That powers down the GPS receiver.

On next power up, it reboots.

Tip: the original GPS antennas can fail. If you have weak signal levels in Service Mode, then consider a replacement antenna.

You can get generic replacements from TradMe for around $50, with magnetic mount, easy to fit

If the antenna is OK, then replace the GPS receiver inside the Mk3 or Mk4 nav. Plug and play, cheap to replace, easy to do

Did you managed to get the problem sorted?

I realise yours a in-built unit but TomTom has issued a mandatory update to solve unable to get GPS fix problem for a bunch of their satnav units due to leap year.

Instead of getting to the battery? Why not try get at the fuse?

Did you managed to get the problem sorted?

I realise yours a in-built unit but TomTom has issued a mandatory update to solve unable to get GPS fix problem for a bunch of their satnav units due to leap year.

Instead of getting to the battery? Why not try get at the fuse?

No not fixed yet.

The battery is easy to get to. I have disconnected the battery and left it overnight - no joy on start up. I have ejected the DVD and reloaded the software - no joy. It seems to know when I change direction as the direction arrow on the screen moves around. It just seems to think I am at the location where I last used it successfully,

A check of the menu shows (I think) no satellites. The menu shows 8 satellites but each one has zero under the S/N column - there is data in the Ch & PRN columns alongside each one. The GPS Status screen shows no Lat,Longt or Altitude and the other fields on that screen are all zero.

I am pretty sure that its the antenna/ receiver but I don't know where it is on the Touring...my Bentley CD had the Electrical section missing and I guess the info is in there. <_<

No big deal as I can alwys contact Hotwire...just need some more $$ so I can get the rearview camera upgrade put in as well. I am using the motorbike most of the time and just have to remember to take my glasses if I am going somewhre new and need to read the map book.

I have a few jobs to do but "Er Indoors" keeps finding me work to do around the house :blink:

No not fixed yet.

Taking the battery off won't change anything.

A dead antenna or dead receiver is what you have

PM me your email address and I'll send a document that shows the complete nav system wiring

On an E39 touring, the GPS antenna is under the dash, above the glovebox

Yes, it has a long cable all the way back to the nav unit in the boot of the Touring.

It seems to know when I change direction as the direction arrow on the screen moves around.

That confirms the internal gyro sensor inside the nav unit (in the trunk) is working.

A check of the menu shows (I think) no satellites. The menu shows 8 satellites but each one has zero under the S/N column - there is data in the Ch & PRN columns alongside each one. The GPS Status screen shows no Lat,Longt or Altitude and the other fields on that screen are all zero.

Zero = zero signal = either bad antenna, bad receiver, or antenna connector is unplugged (or antenna cable is damaged)

Taking the battery off won't change anything.

A dead antenna or dead receiver is what you have

PM me your email address and I'll send a document that shows the complete nav system wiring

On an E39 touring, the GPS antenna is under the dash, above the glovebox

Yes, it has a long cable all the way back to the nav unit in the boot of the Touring.

That confirms the internal gyro sensor inside the nav unit (in the trunk) is working.

Zero = zero signal = either bad antenna, bad receiver, or antenna connector is unplugged (or antenna cable is damaged)

Hi Jochen,

Tried to send a PM a couple of times but it seems your mailbox is full. I'll keep trying

Alan

Hi,

I got a similar problem yesterday on my 2003 E39 touring <_<

It shows my position far away from where im actually are.

I have checked the secret menu, and here is the info that i found:

GPS satellites - 01

GPS status - Satellite contact

Almanac - Yes

Visible satellites - 08

The wheel speed sensor is working

The gyro is showing 2465 mv (Should be 2500 +/- 400 at standstill) And registrating movement.

Direct. of travel is working - Shows forward and changes to backwards when put in revers gear.

As you can see here, its not connected to anyone? But it sometimes show a few in the small earth in upper right corner when viewing the map (with wide screen) So it looks like it see a few satellites sometimes..

Posted Image

With a test adapter (dont know what that is) you should meassure 5 volts +/- 0.3 volts in the antenna plug from the nav computer, if you have 5 volts here, then its probably the antenna thats dead, if there is no volt its the receiver. But not sure if its so easy to measure in the plug.. :unsure:

BTW, here is a document that shows troubleshooting the nav system, alot of good info here:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/e38_troublesh...sat_nav_mk2.pdf

jochen:

Where can i buy a replacement receiver for my MK4 unit? :)

Regards

Fredrik

I'm no expert but I think you are probably right, your antenna could be gone. The fact that the almanac data is available just gives the GPS receiver an idea of where in the sky to start looking for satellites and which satellites to look for so that you get a fix much faster and don't have to scan the whole visible sky. If your position is way out or the almanac data is old, like more than six months old, it will be pretty useless, so the unit won't know where to start looking so a fix could take a long time to acquire, ten to fifteen minutes in some cases, maybe even longer.

I can't remember all the theory with pseudo-random code and the like that GPS uses but the signal strength is crazy weak, actually weaker then the background noise levels so it probably wouldn't take much interference to stop it receiving correct positioning data.

The troubleshooting document is for the MKII, not sure if all the figures remain the same for the MkIV that you have.

BTW E39 530d touring - cool car! Tell me it's an M-Sport one!

Hmm, i saw a few antennas on ebay, and pretty cheap.. Maybe i should just buy a used one and test. :)

I read that the antenna should be under the dash, over the fuse box. But how would i get it out? Is it very difficult? :)

How did it go with the OP? Did you fix your problem? :)

And yes, its a M-sport one ^_^

Fredrik

The GPS will always try to acquire satellites, you cannot stop that happening.

I would wait and observe for the next week.

Here in Europe I also have had 3 days in the last week where my GPS receiver has failled to acquire satellites, or had very large errors. It could be a temporary GPS disturbance, so wait and see is the best bet. Over the last 10 months the GPS was solid and reliable, so my GPS errors have only just started.

You can also observe the S/N levels in the service menu: for reliable GPS the S/N is between 8 and 15, and you should see around 6 satellites with good strong signal.

If you see signal levels on only around 1 to 3 then that is an indication of lots of atmospheric disturbance, and/or a weak GPS antenna.

Replacement GPS antennas are cheap, I've bought them on TradeMe for around $45

And if that doesn't work then replace the GPS receiver module inside the navigation computer. There's a dutch guy sells them online.

So to recap:

1. Observe, take notes, and wait one week

2. If you are convinced the GPS is poort, try a replacement antenna

3. And if that fails try a replacement receiver

EDIT: I just saw the photo. S/N levels of mean no signal whatsoever. Suspect that

a) antenna cable unplugged or

B) antenna faulty

And if that doesn't work then replace the GPS receiver module inside the navigation computer. There's a dutch guy sells them online.

So to recap:

1. Observe, take notes, and wait one week

2. If you are convinced the GPS is poort, try a replacement antenna

3. And if that fails try a replacement receiver

EDIT: I just saw the photo. S/N levels of mean no signal whatsoever. Suspect that

a) antenna cable unplugged or

B) antenna faulty

Does this dutch guy have an internet page? :)

I will observe my navi a few days. :)

EDIT:

Today i was driving and watching the S/N, it shows activity at 3 satellites, and a max value of 12.0.

Here is a pic i took when there was 2:

Posted Image

So there is little signal.. :)

Edited by Alpejohn

Does this dutch guy have an internet page? :)

I will observe my navi a few days. :)

EDIT:

Today i was driving and watching the S/N, it shows activity at 3 satellites, and a max value of 12.0.

Here is a pic i took when there was 2:

Posted Image

So there is little signal.. :)

I agree - wait one week. Mine also had no signals...although it was the earlier unit. I was trying to get the time to get down to see Hotwire when my GPS came back online. Since that day it has worked without a hitch.

Sorry about that Hotwire :blink:

Aaagh!

Nearly a year and the dreaded "confused GPS" is back. It recognises direction changes but seems to be locked on to a location months old. :(

I'll have a look tonight and see if the unit is actually seeing any satellites. I had a look on RealOEM and it looks like a replacement antenna is about US$160 so I think it best I run a few tests first before forking out for a replacement antenna. I wonder if a cheap (whatever that is) antenna from somewhere would be worth trying first by just plugging it in to the receiver will tell me if it is the cable or the antenna. :unsure:

I think the antenna is above the glovebox on the left hand side - how hard is that to get to and is it a big job threading the cable through to the receiver on a Touring. Hopefully it does not involve dismantling half the car to do it.

Fingers crossed it is not the Rx going by the price of the antenna!!! :huh:

Well I looked in service mode and all Satellites are showing zero. Almanac shows NO. so I have lost the Almanac too.

I sat outside with the ignition on Pos 1 for 20 minutes but no sign of it getting the Almanac back .I did notice that some of the Satellite numbers changed every now and again. Does that suggest that the antenna is working but maybe weak.

I guess with the antenna above the glove box on the Touring and the receiver in the rear I am going to have to go for an OEM antenna so that the cable will be long enough. Is it possible to get an antenna off TM and maybe mount it in the boot closer to the RX?

Why does this happen when I am considering selling the Touring having just bought an F30 diesel - I'd be happy to keep the wagon but we need an economical commuter for my wife and she won';t sell her Golf GTi either :unsure:

Alan, could be the antenna or the receiver in the Nav unit. I have a receiver if required. May also have an antenna.

If a replacement antenna is required, you could have an extension lead made up. Antenna is on the rear shelf in the sedan, obviously in the front of the Touring as there is no angled glass in the rear.

I thought you were going to keep & upgrade the Touring?

Alan, could be the antenna or the receiver in the Nav unit. I have a receiver if required. May also have an antenna.

If a replacement antenna is required, you could have an extension lead made up. Antenna is on the rear shelf in the sedan, obviously in the front of the Touring as there is no angled glass in the rear.

I thought you were going to keep & upgrade the Touring?

Thanks Grant I just have to get some time to get stuck in and do a few checks to make sure the antenna cable is not damaged or unplugged. I thought maybe a cheap antenna plugged in to the rx temporarily might prove whether it is antenna or Rx. I could sit it in the luggage area for the test and then get a cable made up if necessary.

re the Touring: So did I...I love that car but with an E36 (up for sale) and E39 Touring and an F30 as well as a Golf GTi and an Austin Healey (to restore) something has to give. I have had it for 10 years now and that's the longest I have ever kept a car.

One plus -last night Jan agreed the E39 can stay at least until March next year when we move to our new house - its the only car with a tow-bar and its great for moving "stuff". I have already started to suggest that maybe its not worth selling as we might not get much for it and its only got 145,000 kms on it. It would also be good to carry my fishing kayak as Jan has banned roof-racks from the GTi & F30. :wacko:

You may yet get a call for some upgrades ;)

Well thats nice...the GPS is back on air!

What did I do...nothing.

Used the car the other day and just for fun switched to look at the GPS settings. All the Satellites were back but the Alamanac was still not there. I drove for a while with the settings showing and the sat. info changed but it was still showing wrong location and no Alamanac. Suddenly the Alamanac changed to Yes and it updated my location.

I am chuffed.