Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

E85 Z4 or 986 Boxster

Hey guy, just having a bit of dilema which is better.

Comparison between a 986 Boxster or Boxster S and a E85 Z4

Prices are similar in New Zealand.

Pros and Cons would be greatly appreciated. eg, comfort, performance, cool factor, etc

If it were me, I'd go the Porsche but only because I've owned one. They have a presence IMO, and sound amazingly brilliant with the roof down especially.

As Clarkson says Boxster = couldnt afford the 911 then??

As Clarkson says Boxster = couldnt afford the 911 then??

Ha, he does say this, but anyone who lives by a rule like that...

E85, and im not saying that because its a BMW, i only drive BMW because i cant afford porsche. The boxter is very hard to ride in and the whole car looks dated these days. E85 i havent ridden in but looks a lot nicer imo. Id imagine power is more or less the same though? the boxter does have some go juice

if its to DD, pm sam Deli-Lama he used to (maybe still does) DD a 986

E85 with 3.0L More go than you need, never found the 986 to be very nippy at all.

It really depends how you drive and what you're looking for. The 986 Boxster S will be quicker around a track and in a straight line than a Z4 3.0i, and it'll be easier to drive quickly. It's also quite a bit uglier than a Z4. There are some serious engine issues to watch out for in any early watercooled Porsche, especially the first generation 986 and 996s -- IMS and RMS failures, and oiling issues if you're doing serious track work with sticky tyres.

It really depends how you drive and what you're looking for. The 986 Boxster S will be quicker around a track and in a straight line than a Z4 3.0i, and it'll be easier to drive quickly. It's also quite a bit uglier than a Z4. There are some serious engine issues to watch out for in any early watercooled Porsche, especially the first generation 986 and 996s -- IMS and RMS failures, and oiling issues if you're doing serious track work with sticky tyres.

I'm not really too sure the Porsche or Z4 would be good track cars, I mean there's be other options to consider if you were buying it for part track use.

I've never found the Boxster to be hard riding, and certainly not sluggish, 0-100 in some 6 seconds and 150MPH + isn't exactly slow Gregg & that's just the basic 2.5 flat 6 version, she only weighs 1200 or so KG. If you can go the newer Boxster S, you're a bit more grunt and 160mph + and 0-100 in 5.9sec

Depending on how much you have to spend :

THIS MOFO

I love it how they've put the seats right forward so that it looks as if there's leg room in the back seats, normally you'd have to have legs as thick as an A4 sheet of paper to get in those seats otherwise.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I love it how they've put the seats right forward so that it looks as if there's leg room in the back seats, normally you'd have to have legs as thick as an A4 sheet of paper to get in those seats otherwise.

Well I have used mine to transport the three of us to Auckland and back. Napier and back, with no real complain from whoever been at the rear. Both my son and my wife are around 5ft 7in. We used one mid-size suitcase that went in the frunk (front trunk), piled food and jackets at the rear-right seat and off we go.

I had a Techart Boxster for some time.

Very Very reliable. Fast. (Napier to Rotorua in 1HR 25 Min) Over kill on the brakes. Very Very surefooted.

They are designed to sit at high speeds for a very long time, and for hard braking and cornering etc.

Great on fuel, Under 9L per 100KM.

I upgraded to a '03 C4S and I actually preferred the Boxster to drive in alot of ways.

Heaps of storage space, i'm 6ft3 and i found the interior plenty big enough.

Everyone has a Z4. Buy a Porsche!

I had a Techart Boxster for some time.

Very Very reliable. Fast. (Napier to Rotorua in 1HR 25 Min) Over kill on the brakes. Very Very surefooted.

They are designed to sit at high speeds for a very long time, and for hard braking and cornering etc.

Great on fuel, Under 9L per 100KM.

I upgraded to a '03 C4S and I actually preferred the Boxster to drive in alot of ways.

Heaps of storage space, i'm 6ft3 and i found the interior plenty big enough.

Everyone has a Z4. Buy a Porsche!

Was this the Maroon boxster with the eyelids? Saw a techart on TradeMe a while back. Very nice looking car.

Was this the Maroon boxster with the eyelids? Saw a techart on TradeMe a while back. Very nice looking car.

Yup. That was the one.

I got top doller for it in the end. Was just what the guy was after.