Sign in to follow this  
ApriliaBoy

Been "looking" for a looong time

Hi folks,

Tend to not have much to add to conversations so have never registered, and whilst I still dont think I have much to add, thought I'ld say hi.

Currently have an 08 M5 - would upload photo but havent figured that one out yet without having to refer to a hosting site.

Had a string of M cars and a few other beemers:

E36 3.0l

E36 3.2l evo

E46 M3

E39 M5

E36 328i

X5

Dean

Nice, quite a line up of neat cars.

The only way i manage to upload photos is by using a host site, don't know if there is another way?

Nice, quite a line up of neat cars.

The only way i manage to upload photos is by using a host site, don't know if there is another way?

Once it's in the blood it's hard to shake :D

Right then, I wasn't blind .... OK, hopefully here's a few pics of some of the ex's plus one of the few I have of the current (with my daughter poking out the roof :angry: : ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once it's in the blood it's hard to shake :D

Right then, I wasn't blind .... OK, hopefully here's a few pics of some of the ex's plus one of the few I have of the current (with my daughter poking out the roof :angry: : ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WOW, you certaily have a great taste in cars. Welcome btw :)

Yep, great taste and either a) an enviable bank account or B) an unenviable mortgage!

Put it this way, the bank profits you read about make me cringe. That, and I dont have a woman to re-distribite funds to a shoe collection :)

Edited by ApriliaBoy

Hi Dean. Welcome along mate. You sound a bit like me... M addict. I have previously owned an E30 M3, E36 M3 3.0, Z3 M Coupe, E46 M3 and now another E30. Would love to see the M5. Fabulous car there!!

Best colour E36 yet ;)

Very cool line up.

Thanks all.

@Nick G

In order of ownership:

My E36 3.0 (not pictured) was my fav - a bit down on power compared to the evo but still the benchmark for me.

E36 328 - boring. I had the manual but sold after 3 months because I felt like a grandad.

M3 Evo (Dakar) - more grunt and certainly quicker but missing a bit of feel from the original E36 I think. I used to skydive in the weekends up in Dannevirke and I used to race myself with every trip. This car got me from start of Wgtn motorway to there in 1hr:15 (in the wee hours when no traffic around) oneday - that particular day I had a mishap jumping and was the last time I got stupid on the road and the last time I jumped (unfortunately, I hadnt quite applied that lesson to two wheels till a few years later!) The early M3's were hugely confidence inspiring in a way that modern ones can not replicate. Cant really write like a motor journo, just know that this and the earlier M3 made me feel like I was a touring car racer.

E39 M5 - brilliant family car but I had computer problems with that one that BMW couldnt fix, or should I say, I wasnt prepared for it to be off the road as they went threw troubleshooting. Very luxurious cruiser and brilliant for the long hauls, but as you would expect, not great on the twisties in comparison to the M3's. Must admit that it felt odd having loads of torque AND could rev its neck out - ausi V8's had not done any justice to a well made v8.

X5 - surprisingly a very practical vehicle. Stunning that so much mass up so high could still handle really well.

E46 - bigger and heavier and I never felt as confident as with other M3's - in fact got into a couple of tight spots racing others that got the sphincter muscle working out (on closed roads of course :D ). High-speed handling wasnt a strong point I dont think, though that could have been tyre/crap driver etc. Loved the SMG and the exhaust. Still, an awesome car and would love another.

Current M5 - it's pretty much exactly the same as Jeremy Clarkson vids ... around town its not flash at all and yeah, sometimes you think that BMW went overboard with electronic options and ways to configure stuff, but press the go pedal and just drive the car, and its very exhilarating. You notice the weight, but incredibly it can still be chucked around like an M3. The V10 is just spectacular - it revs long and hard and no weak points till the redline so you are never in the wrong gear in a corner. The noise from the exhaust addresses a lot of criticism of BMW since the E30/E36's - its loudest of a standard car I have heard and when revving out to red-line, and is just music to my ears. How they made a heavy car handle like it does is a amazing. Definitely like all the gadgets on this type of car, high-beam assist and active headlights, comfort access and first ever stereo from BMW I like (Individual). The ONLY negative - current tank of gas is on 29l/100k (around town) :(

@Greg - I had to look twice at your sig. Brilliant colur alright - unfortunately a bit too visible to local uniforms tho.

@Dylan M3 - very envious. The E30 started my lust for the brand watching them virtually cause ear-bleeds with the high-pitched scream around the streets in wgtn years ago. Never driven one but I'll have one in my garage oneday I hope. Actually toying around with the idea of the convertible thats on trademe at the moment but prefer fixed roof. I know it would be exactly what I love about the old m's I have had and then some. But then again, apart from putting them on a track, I probably wouldnt get the same grin factor that they deserve to have, as the roads are just too busy these days.

I did take an F10 M5 for a spin last week - oh la la they are awesome, but its not a fit for me till I get councilling over my addiction for naturally aspirated screamers.

Edited by ApriliaBoy

Thanks all.

@Nick G

In order of ownership:

My E36 3.0 (not pictured) was my fav - a bit down on power compared to the evo but still the benchmark for me.

E36 328 - boring. I had the manual but sold after 3 months because I felt like a grandad.

M3 Evo (Dakar) - more grunt and certainly quicker but missing a bit of feel from the original E36 I think. I used to skydive in the weekends up in Dannevirke and I used to race myself with every trip. This car got me from start of Wgtn motorway to there in 1hr:15 (in the wee hours when no traffic around) oneday - that particular day I had a mishap jumping and was the last time I got stupid on the road and the last time I jumped (unfortunately, I hadnt quite applied that lesson to two wheels till a few years later!) The early M3's were hugely confidence inspiring in a way that modern ones can not replicate. Cant really write like a motor journo, just know that this and the earlier M3 made me feel like I was a touring car racer.

E39 M5 - brilliant family car but I had computer problems with that one that BMW couldnt fix, or should I say, I wasnt prepared for it to be off the road as they went threw troubleshooting. Very luxurious cruiser and brilliant for the long hauls, but as you would expect, not great on the twisties in comparison to the M3's. Must admit that it felt odd having loads of torque AND could rev its neck out - ausi V8's had not done any justice to a well made v8.

X5 - surprisingly a very practical vehicle. Stunning that so much mass up so high could still handle really well.

E46 - bigger and heavier and I never felt as confident as with other M3's - in fact got into a couple of tight spots racing others that got the sphincter muscle working out (on closed roads of course :D ). High-speed handling wasnt a strong point I dont think, though that could have been tyre/crap driver etc. Loved the SMG and the exhaust. Still, an awesome car and would love another.

Current M5 - it's pretty much exactly the same as Jeremy Clarkson vids ... around town its not flash at all and yeah, sometimes you think that BMW went overboard with electronic options and ways to configure stuff, but press the go pedal and just drive the car, and its very exhilarating. You notice the weight, but incredibly it can still be chucked around like an M3. The V10 is just spectacular - it revs long and hard and no weak points till the redline so you are never in the wrong gear in a corner. The noise from the exhaust addresses a lot of criticism of BMW since the E30/E36's - its loudest of a standard car I have heard and when revving out to red-line, and is just music to my ears. How they made a heavy car handle like it does is a amazing. Definitely like all the gadgets on this type of car, high-beam assist and active headlights, comfort access and first ever stereo from BMW I like (Individual). The ONLY negative - current tank of gas is on 29l/100k (around town) :(

@Greg - I had to look twice at your sig. Brilliant colur alright - unfortunately a bit too visible to local uniforms tho.

@Dylan M3 - very envious. The E30 started my lust for the brand watching them virtually cause ear-bleeds with the high-pitched scream around the streets in wgtn years ago. Never driven one but I'll have one in my garage oneday I hope. Actually toying around with the idea of the convertible thats on trademe at the moment but prefer fixed roof. I know it would be exactly what I love about the old m's I have had and then some. But then again, apart from putting them on a track, I probably wouldnt get the same grin factor that they deserve to have, as the roads are just too busy these days.

I did take an F10 M5 for a spin last week - oh la la they are awesome, but its not a fit for me till I get councilling over my addiction for naturally aspirated screamers.

great and interesting write up there ... :)

Do you still have the Aprilia Dean ??.. if so... how about a pic ?

always good to see another wellington M5 owner joining!

welcome!

(impressive car list btw)

1.15 to Dannevirke, good braggin rights! I used to have a similar journey to Wanganui every month when I was younger in my first car VL commy haha My steering wheel felt like a jack hammer above 160 :lol:

@M5V8 - Are you the first owner of your plates? Memory is a bit vague, but I had a friend of a friend that had a blue E39 M5 and thought he had those plates though it could have been V8M5. Nice wheels btw.

@adams202 - yeah when you hit a road so regularly thats empty, you get to know every bump - mindyou, when you have youth on your side, you tend to think you're bullet proof eh!

@Glenn - Yet another machine that is way better than me but a heap of fun all the same.

Posted Image

Edited by ApriliaBoy

@M5V8 - Are you the first owner of your plates? Memory is a bit vague, but I had a friend of a friend that had a blue E39 M5 and thought he had those plates though it could have been V8M5. Nice wheels btw.

sick bike. Your pretty confident to ride a matt black sports bike! ;)

Nope not original owner of the plates they have been on a couple of M5's before mine. Had them for going on 3 years now.

The ONLY negative - current tank of gas is on 29l/100k (around town) :(

Bugger that, that would mean my 400-500kms per week would see a max of $330 per week in fuel alone.

Bugger that, that would mean my 400-500kms per week would see a max of $330 per week in fuel alone.

Holy hell, are they that thirsty?? I thought my M3 was bad at 16 l/100k around town!