Sign in to follow this  
Neal

E46 M3 Stereo Build

Great work, I'll need to start work on my sound system at some stage.

Cheers Paul. It's taken me a long time. it's been hard to get time on weekends to work on it.

Will be interested when you start your audio install.

Spent time over weekend on car pc rack. I with either cover the lid or use factory fabric pannel to cover.

Hopefully the netbook will run cool enough without the use of addition fans.

RIMG0904_zps44fe4d58.jpg

RIMG0910_zps50272892.jpg

RIMG0916_zpsb082d509.jpg

RIMG0918_zps0d56a318.jpg

• Like 1

Originally had the tray hard up against the foam insert. Trimmed to allow an RCA from iphone to plug into PC aux.

The lid height will sit about 10 mm below boot board level so little chance of weight transfer from anything heavy that gets put in boot.

Wasn't happy with the RCA mods I'd originally done to the Bm53 tuner module . One of the wire connections had broken free.

Redone with RCA panel sockets and cable ties .Added remote trigger wire running off aerial power / factory amp on fet output (Pin 13 of main BM53 connector) Will use it to power on one relay that will in turn power on 2 amplifiers and the 3.sixty.1 processor.

RIMG0930_zps943e4906.jpg

RIMG0927_zps97f5986d.jpg

• Like 1

You should setup a business - I've got some work you :bowdown:

lol , I'd probably go broke if I did based on time taken

Controller for the Carpc arrived today. Will be my version of idrive to control the PC. Probably change it's colour to black and the blue LED to orange to match BMW lighting.

post-797-0-75683500-1405510025_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Put bm53 module back in rack. Clearance for RCAs is tight so opted for 90 degree adaptors rather than tracking down short RCA plugs. Allows use of some standard interconnects rather than making custom.

RIMG0986_zpsee6bc65d.jpg

Added accessory outlet to equipment rack for netbook power supply. Will sit behind boot carpet and heat can dissipate into the rear guard.

RIMG0933_zps266afdb4.jpg

Added ground cables for amps, processor , netbook supply and remote on relays

RIMG0991_zps9d1f8f1e.jpg

RIMG0989_zpsb761e3b5.jpg

Powered up 3sixty.1 processor to setup the basics such as RCA levels . Looks like its a dead unit and wont boot up. Just another reminder to self not to buy s/h stereo gear from tradesmen. Shame as I spent a day on modding brackets and building custom RCA interconnects.

I was mainly going to use the processor as an input switch to a 4.1 output.

New plans, Precision Power have recently introduced (re-badges) a new entry level processor . Has OEM integration and has three inputs plus handsfree input.

Features 8 channels of output and 3rd octave equalisers on most of the channels. Also has time alignment so I'll be able to add some delay to drivers side speakers.

Have ordered one so hopefully will have one in a few weeks.

http://precisionpower.com/store/products/accessories/signal-processors/deq-8-127.html#

So new processor arrived. Needed to move the laptop 12 volt charger and add another power on relay for the amps. Reused the old Japan telephone bracket and added more rivnuts. Processor fits in old factory amp location and helps to brace the navy rack.

RIMG1071_zpsdfcc3a2e.jpg

So , the factory tuner will power on accessory distribution fuse box. This powers on processor and laptop charger ( and computer fans if ended later on for forced cooling)

Processor in turn will turn on amps so the system should be turn on pop free.

Used a small fuse box and found it bolted to existing holes within the boot cross member. Its feed via 30 amp cable so will be fine for low current accessories.

RIMG0993_zps5d21eb2c.jpg

RIMG0997_zps02348dec.jpg

Next was the battery wiring and amp distribution block. Uses 0 gauge cable into the block and 4 gauge to each amp. Overkill really but the voltage drop across the cables should be very low.

RIMG1083_zps91a8add5.jpg

RIMG1086_zps14604415.jpg

All fits underneath factory battery tray

RIMG1090_zpsb7600241.jpg

Boot wiring now complete for stereo , pc , Ulf and reverse cam. Next stage basic processor input level tune.

RIMG1092_zps0c6984a9.jpg

Had quite a bit of fun trying to get the processor to power on the amps via a relay. Turns out the relay used more current that the two amps combined. Removed the relay and the amps powered on. Finished off the remote on and processor looms with Molex connector and tesa tape

RIMG1001_zps082def41.jpg

RIMG1183_zps364c1745.jpg

Next came the setting the input levels for factory system, iphone 6 input and car pc digital input. I did these by ear as don't have access an oscilloscope. I did set the amp outputs via multimeter to avoid the chance of output clipping into the speakers.

I found that the bm53 tuner RCA mods didn't quite have enough to drive the high level inputs on the processor. Ended up feeding it both the plus and minus differential audio outputs from the bm53 tuner. The drop in sound quality was noticeable by doing so. Looks like the output stage on the tuner is the limiting factor in the factory system.

RIMG1192_zps8c09b506.jpg

Next was to remount the amp racks and mount the amps into the small storage tray. I'll run the system like this for a few weeks.

RIMG1203_zps3a38bbdc.jpg

RIMG1200_zpse1e849c8.jpg

Connected the speakers and sub and gave the processor a basic tune just giving it high and low pass filters according to speaker needs.

Processor features time alignment on all channels as well as 1/3 octave equalisers on every channel. Will set these up later once the speakers have has 50 or so hours use.

Tried the different sound source inputs. Factory cd / radio sounds ok , iphone 6 with lossless music sound good. Car pc with flac via digital output sounds excellent.

Only issue so far is the 5 1/4 mid bass in the front has a hole in the sound in its lower bass registers. I'm running steep filter on these so may drop this a bit further down. Really don't want to cut holes in the door behind the driver.

The ski pass bass has worked out well. Without a doubt the Cleanest sub bass I've had. Even if cranked to silly output levels I get no rattles. The spg555 / passive radiator can move some serious air. Goes low with detail and bass timing is good.

RIMG1217_zps62eff2a6.jpg

Next stage is to work on mounting processor control , mouse and iphone in console area somewhere

• Like 1

Excellent progress - keep it up.

Have you tried running the modified direct outputs of the bm53 into the low level inputs on the processor?

Excellent progress - keep it up.

Have you tried running the modified direct outputs of the bm53 into the low level inputs on the processor?

Tried both. If you take the outputs from the output of the op amps after the caps on the tuner you'll also see 4.3 volts DC appearing on the output. What concerns me is the number of references to this mod where no one adds a LOC to remove the DC from the Rca. it gives a very clean sound, but on my processor the high level inputs where the only input that could filter DC out of the audio stream. If I'd used the aux input on the processor I'd get cleaner sound, but don't want to risk the amps reproducing the dc and end up smoking the voice coils on the speakers,

The differential output stage on the bm53 gives closer to 9 volts of output which was enough to drive the high level input on the processors. Didn't sound as clean as straight off the op amps but I don't need worry about raw DC being presented to the amps.

My main source for SQ audio will be the carpc where the sabre DAC will support up to 24 bit 96 kbit audio so not too worried about the sound quality from the factory system. Some would say it's acceptable in this form, but I'm a bit of an audiophile buff and would liken it to looking through dirty glass.

epic.

End result looks real tidy. Especially considering the amount of cable you've run in there!

Next stage is to work on mounting ... iphone in console area somewhere

I might have the right solution for you ;). Send me a link for a belkin aux cable (from either Harvey Norman or Noel Leeming) and I'll modify the file for you.

Got room for a small voltage gauge as well ? With a kilowatt on tap need to ensure I'm not running the factory electrics into the ground.

I did mod a Nokia eject box to fit an iPhone 5s but have changed to a 6 since. ( would have been completely stealth)

Need room for a USB device and processor control unit in centre console. Thinking your ashtray mount would be the best way to go now. I'm adding a lightining to VGA adapter to the iPhone so I can display the iPhone screen on the Sat Nav screen.

A few weeks on . Battery wasn't holding charge so replaced with a BMW AGM type battery. System was shutting down due to low voltage. Was good to confirm that the BM53 tuner will drop the remote on signal on low voltage before the car operation is effected.

Added a small amount of time alignment to drives door speaker which has resulted in the sound image being centred to the drivers seating position. Also changed the midbass low pass filter to 55hz (bit low for 13cm midbass) but the bass now integrates better with sub. Could be better , but don't want to cut holes in door behind mid bass driver.

Car DSP basic configuration

dsp_zpsaee20d36.jpg

Still to do.

Fabricate mouse mounting for CarPC

Fabricate DSP remote control holder

Sort out iphone 6 mount (bit wide for the Nokia eject box modded for iphone 5s earlier in build thread)

Mount bluray player in glasses compartment (sitting loose)

Sort out why Mic for ULF not working.

Iphone / Carpc display switch for Boardmonitor

Reinstall boot lining over factory nav rack.

More software mapping of ibus car control buttons to carpc functions.

Edited by Neal

Finished the boot today part of the install today. Decided to leave the amps exposed rather than covered in. Less chance of thermal issues. Chrome trim on the amps a bit cheesy , but as they say .... if you can't hid it feature it.

RIMG1233_zpsodaavng9.jpg

RIMG1237_zpsmhiucaol.jpg

RIMG1236_zpsskvnpyug.jpg

Subwoofer ski pass now covered , doesn't seem to reduce bass output and its rattle free beyond my self imposed SPL limit.

RIMG1240_zpskzlyiyr7.jpg

RIMG1245_zpsncbe6enz.jpg

Got one of Deon's 3d printed iphone 6 docks. Just a bit of minor modding to add analog audio jack and sanded for painting.

More work to do on getting video out into board monitor. ( running VGA iphone dongle and converting to composite)

RIMG1252_zpsia1wuabc.jpg

Temporary mounting for DSP control. This is a source switch and overall system volume. Not too keen on the white lighting output. Will make some changes to make it amber to match.

RIMG1256_zpsgu3vqbah.jpg

• Like 1

Great progress.

What models are the amps?

Amps are late 2000s Soundstream stealth series, 640 4x 108 RMS into 4 ohms and 600d which is roughly 1x600 RMS into 2 ohms.

Change of job this year has meant very little time for hobbies and cars.

I did manage to change the back lighting of the DSP controller to amber earlier this year.

RIMG1268_zpsf0xqyylb.jpg

Brought a few electronics cards for a couple of holiday projects

1, Freeview TV kit for factory BMW tuner. Will restore TV function when parked and allow USB content to be played

2, Raspberry PI based media system. The idea is to build the system into an old factory CD stacker and connect to factory 16/9 boardmonitor. Audio will be digitally connected and use lossless audio files up to 96k/24bit for high quality audio,

IMG_0381_zpsoc7yctlt.jpg

RIMG1311_zpsokybfxnu.jpg

• Like 3