Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Toyota powered, forced inducted S50

A b/v open at idle generates a larger than normal maf signal thus the car runs richer, its engine vacuum thats opening the b/v airflow for the blower is controlled by throttle opening thus when they are closed no boost you need to plumb the b/v back between the maf and the blower thus the maf wont see the air leak.

Having the blower switched on all the time makes no odds as turbos/blowers that are directly driven all the time again the throttle regulates the boost adjust the top screw on the b/v until its just closed at idle and see what that does for it remember the stock ecu/dme has no idea what boost means but it does pickup on any air leaks.

Ok will try that, haven't touched the adjustment on it yet as I assumed it was setup when Garett had it. Also it appears I may be able to remove and block the vacum hose on the fuel regulator, puts it from 2.5 bar to 3 bar.

You should really look at trying to blow thru the maf as off throttle your bov will be opening allowing the s/c to continuously draw air through the maf. Does it seem to run really rich when the bov is open/backing off throttle?

Also with that s/c on a s50, you would need to have a larger crank pulley than that on the s/c to overdrive it. By my rough calcs, it will need to be overdriven by 1.5times to get 5psi.

Ok will try that, haven't touched the adjustment on it yet as I assumed it was setup when Garett had it. Also it appears I may be able to remove and block the vacum hose on the fuel regulator, puts it from 2.5 bar to 3 bar.

every motor uses a different vacuum level thus the adjuster on top

You should really look at trying to blow thru the maf as off throttle your bov will be opening allowing the s/c to continuously draw air through the maf. Does it seem to run really rich when the bov is open/backing off throttle?

Also with that s/c on a s50, you would need to have a larger crank pulley than that on the s/c to overdrive it. By my rough calcs, it will need to be overdriven by 1.5times to get 5psi.

i did mention all that but those blowers arent the greatest and bearings fail with over-speed the biggest issue is the blowers too small based on engine displacement even the 2ltr version for the Toyota is still to small for 3ltr plus, common failure is from increasing blower speed max psi on the 4agze was 11psi with the overdrive kit.

Screw blowers are the way to go being able to run over 30,000rpm from mem the eaton of the Toyota has a max 11,000rpm pullies are sized from there,

Seems to smell lean when idling with the charger on. Not running the best at idle due to the way the valve is operating.

From what i've been told the engine is over driving the charger thus why the valve is pouring out boost at idle, so yeah a larger crank pully is requiered.

Seems to smell lean when idling with the charger on. Not running the best at idle due to the way the valve is operating.

From what i've been told the engine is over driving the charger thus why the valve is pouring out boost at idle, so yeah a larger crank pully is requiered.

b/v on turbo cars are open at idle but no boost and the turbo as much as its load dependent is still producing low volumes of air thus vacuum is the issue, sorry dont mean to be ott but this is what i do 24/7 for the last 30yrs i hate seeing people given misleading advise

b/v on turbo cars are open at idle but no boost and the turbo as much as its load dependent is still producing low volumes of air thus vacuum is the issue, sorry dont mean to be ott but this is what i do 24/7 for the last 30yrs i hate seeing people given misleading advise

Yeah I fully understand that and I appreciate any advice you can give me Steve. Actually relying on it haha.

If it all gets to complicating and looking like more money will need throwing at it i'll remove the lot and just go back to N/A whilst playing with different intakes, CSL for instance.

Yeah I fully understand that and I appreciate any advice you can give me Steve. Actually relying on it haha.

If it all gets to complicating and looking like more money will need throwing at it i'll remove the lot and just go back to N/A whilst playing with different intakes, CSL for instance.

http://autospeed.com/A_110294/cms/article.html

http://autospeed.com/A_110295/cms/article.html

Edited by crunchy

Well as quick as it went on it's now come off, had the dyno/co2 test today. Bad news, with the charger switched off the fuel map is bang on, with it switched on the co2 goes to 6% at idle, 9% at cruise and 12% at full throttle but then suddenly drops to 0%, fuel can't keep up with air delivery unfortunately :(

Not a happy camper but at least the engine is now safe, have connected air flow meter straight to the intake pipe of the plenum, seems to go really well, better than factory anyway.

Edit: I don't give up however, already have plans on different intake systems ;)

Edited by Greg.

Well as quick as it went on it's now come off, had the dyno/co2 test today. Bad news, with the charger switched off the fuel map is bang on, with it switched on the co2 goes to 6% at idle, 9% at cruise and 12% at full throttle but then suddenly drops to 0%, fuel can't keep up with air delivery unfortunately :(

Not a happy camper but at least the engine is now safe, have connected air flow meter straight to the intake pipe of the plenum, seems to go really well, better than factory anyway.

Edit: I don't give up however, already have plans on different intake systems ;)

cant say that surprises me with air needs lots of fuel thus why i said the try using a AFC plus pump needs changing and timing retatrded

cant say that surprises me with air needs lots of fuel thus why i said the try using a AFC plus pump needs changing and timing retatrded

Wasn't prepared to put more money into making this kind of charger work, if it was a 400bhp performance one then yeah sure it'll be worth it. No big deal, custom plenum works well without it.

Had to give it try ha.

I give you a few weeks until you remove it

Called on post 4 LOL sorry had to point it out :P

Good effort Greg, no harm in trying

Good effort Greg, no harm in trying

Yep my thoughts, it did go bloody well, who knew it was only running on air at high rpm.

Im glad its removed... NA is where its at!

opps sorry i feel asleep reading that haha

Heh that didn't take long, seems I was right. :P

Then again, it is fun to try such things as long as there's no harm done...

Out comes the old addage

"There ain't no substitute for cubic inch's"

haha... just a bit of stirring to get us going....

Yep, I wouldn't say it was a waste of time (maybe money) but I had fun building it, I work on cars every day but still enjoy getting stuck into mine. Now I can say been there done that, N/A is where it'll stay now, as previously said, I already have a mad intake design ready to go.

Out comes the old addage

or a big ar$e blower :rolleyes:

or a big ar$e blower :rolleyes:

Actually how is yours running brent? What's stopping yours leaning out at full throttle, if an S50 can't compensate then i would assume an M50 wouldn't have a sh*t show?

Out comes the old addage

Don't you mean "there's no replacement for displacement"?

Actually how is yours running brent? What's stopping yours leaning out at full throttle, if an S50 can't compensate then i would assume an M50 wouldn't have a sh*t show?

yes goes ok , i have one of those variable rate fuel pressure regulators , which pretty much shuts of the returning fuel rail so goes rich as the boost comes up .

was planning on getting the std ecu remapped .

gavin reckons he can tune it with out using that fuel reg unit , just leave the std one in place.

you could probably do the same with your one.

the proper ESS kits you can get come with a set of bigger injectors and a chip etc , but they all run at about 7-8psi and use intercoolers

post-279-1339574830.jpg