Sign in to follow this  
barracuda83

E38 Streering & suspension

I constantly have to keep my steering wheel tilted to the right while doing 80km - 100km. steering used to be dead straight even a month back

no noise over bumps

no judder effect on heavy braking or while stopped

regardless of road curvature or gradient

checked tire pressure

just had alignment done

Also drivers side rear end of the car seems a bit lowered than the passengers rear. No noise anywhere and its not affecting the drive as such but just a bit anxious since i have noticed it.

there is nothing heavy in the boot on any side.

checked when parked on a level surface still same tilt

My driveway where I normally park my car has a slope from the side when parked. Does this affect my suspension or springs ?

Can the rear springs make any difference in the steering condition and am i looking at any suspension damage?

any help will be appreciated.

I wanted to attach some photos but for some reason it says "Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions"

thanks in advance guys.

Upload photos as 800x600 or smaller and it'll work ;)

Thanks huff3r for the tip.

Passenger side rear matches the overall height of the car

Drivers rear side sitting lower than others.

Not sure if its noticeable from the pics but very noticeable in reality.

post-14986-1339839564.jpg

post-14986-1339839636.jpg

well spotted

passenger side has continental contisport contact 235/50/zr18

drivers side has dunlop sport sp 01 - 235/50/zr18

dunlops a loan tyre while the other continental is ready for use however the car has been sitting low on that side even before it has been put in.

thanks heaps.

looks like the other side has thicker tyres. and using different brand if tyres on the same axle is probably why you have non centre steering wheel.

put the same tyres on the axle first and see if it fixes the pull on one side.

hmm some very good suggestions.

thanks a lot.

Im getting 4x new Toyo Proxies C1S put on tomorrow or the day after by Advantage tyres. (awesome deal at $275pp)

Will report back after a test ride.

Just while I have all your expert attentions here, I am also looking at change my brakes looking at Akebono(i think thats the name) or Brembos they say they are the best. How do i go about putting them on? thanks.

I could be wrong, but I think most of BMWs are a little lower on the driver's side... mostly on the rear.

Edited by swordfish

thanks swordfish i have been looking at some m5 forums as well they say the same thing.

Its not just M5s, it's E36s, E34s, M3s etc etc. I can't remember how they've explained it, but it does not effect the streering in any way. So I wouldn't really worry about that.

have not noticed my e38 having a lean on one side. althought that said, it does have new shocks all around

Hey guys just thought i should report back to Docile and 3padels YES you guys were right it was the different tyres causing the misalignment problem.

Got all 4 tyres changed new Toyo PROXES C1s. And steering wheel is dead straight again.

Just a pointer These Toyos are a lot heavier than the Continentals I replaced feels double the weight.

Also while they are comfortable and silent, looks wise the sidewall looks roundish and bland.

Even though same size and all , the Continentals used to look fatter (because of their extra half inch of rubber as rim guard) and the sidewall used to look thinner and flat. if you know what i mean.

now moving on to the next project - sort out the free play on the front wheels...... WHEN DOES THIS END......wrong car to fall in love with i guess.

My E38 rear left is higher than the rear right. Wheels are the same, as are the tyres. Doesn't seem to affect it in any way.