Sign in to follow this  
Hoags

Alarm System e36 Question

So I pulled out the sunglass console yesterday on my NZ New 1998 328I Motorsport and I disconnected a plug that was wired to a LED with a brown cover (beside the ASC switch). It has not worked since I owned the car which is only a few weeks. After I reconnect and lock the car now the led is flashing - good news maybe I have an alarm. It would be a 3G Mk 2 if I did.

Funny thing is I get no noise or anything when I lock or unlock the car. I have the three button key remote.

So I have done a search of most of the forums to see if I can figure it out. I am not near the car now so can't check for a siren but does anybody else have this led with the brown cover and if so - is it an alarm or just a light to say the car is locked?

OK so further to this. I have been searching the net looking for answers and have fault found the car. It seems it is definitely an alarm of some sort but I don't have a separate fob and I have not yet located the siren.

But I have the hood microswitch. If I open the hood, and then hold the microswitch down Ie simulate it closed then lock the car it locks and then when I let the switch up Ie (simulate open) the lights start flashing and I can hear relays clicking over by the fuse box.

I have read all sorts of things about possible flat batteries in the siren etc, either way I will be pulling the RH light out soon to see if I can find the dame siren. If anybody has any good gen let me know otherwise I will keep the forum posted.

Why does it work with the key and do I need a separate fob?

Are you referring to the EWS immobilizer system? My E36 has the led which you describe which flashes when I lock my car; it is disarmed when you insert your key into the door lock which detects the rfid chip inside the key. There isn't a separate siren, it sounds the horn repeatedly if triggered.

I once set it off accidentally by unlocking the car from the inside and attempting to start when the lights began flashing and the horn beeping at which point I discovered that you need to unlock the door with the key to disable.

No it is definitely an alarm. I found the siren when I had it on the hoist changing the fuel filter the other day. Apparently the internal batteries can go flat and the siren stops working. I plan to pull it out when I have some time and fix the level function on the light at the same time.