Sign in to follow this  
Apex

BMW Supra anyone?

Thought this sounded interesting.

Never knew BMW and Toyota had a technical relationship, interesting that BMW are providing diesel engines for Toyota.. I wonder what BMW get back out of it, maybe assistance on how to build boring cars to take on VAG?

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-toy...0630-2190i.html

I wonder what BMW get back out of it, maybe assistance on how to build boring cars to take on VAG?

Instructions on reliability?

Instructions on reliability?

Now now...

On one hand it might be reliable, on the other it will be awful to drive and have plastic thinner than a A4 sheet of paper, panels with the thickness of a human hair.

interesting that BMW are providing diesel engines for Toyota.. I wonder what BMW get back out of it?

Two things: 1) revenue 2) increased production volumes :mellow:

Have BMW and toyota collaborated before? I was always intruiged at the similarity between m60 and 1uZ.

I wonder what BMW get back out of it....

A butt-ugly people mover that handles like a 3-legged cow? They haven't got a people mover yet.

Have BMW and toyota collaborated before? I was always intruiged at the similarity between m60 and 1uZ.

I've heard that many times... but never seen any actual official information stating so..

Never knew BMW and Toyota had a technical relationship, interesting that BMW are providing diesel engines for Toyota.. I wonder what BMW get back out of it, maybe assistance on how to build boring cars to take on VAG?

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-toy...0630-2190i.html

Hybrid technology. Guess its not rubbish after all.

You think that's where the link is?

I can see that working out quite well for BMW then.

They should just run a 2JZ.

The cost of making engines these days are gettin more and more expensive. Bmw have to cut costs somehow. So why not go in partnership with another car maker.

A bit of an update on the BMW Supra.

Overnight parts from Japan, this thing will decimate all.

BMW and Toyota have officially joined forces to develop a range of new vehicle technologies and a new mid-sized sports car platform by the end of 2013.

As part of a new binding agreement signed in Tokyo last night, Toyota will have access to BMW's sports car know-how enabling it to develop a successor to the iconic Supra sports car, which was discontinued by Toyota in 2002. It's not clear if the design of the new Toyota will be inspired by the 300kW hybrid six-cylinder FT-HS concept (pictured) that was lauched at the 2007 Detroit motor show.

BMW will also gain access to Toyota's hybrid research and lithium-ion battery technology which it requires to expand its new hybrid and electric car range, comprising the i3 and i8, both due in Australia mid-way through 2014.

The move follows a previous deal that will see Toyota share BMW diesel engines from 2014, and formalises a memorandum of understanding signed between the two auto makers last year.

But unlike Toyota's tie-up with Subaru that spawned the smaller 86/BRZ sports cars, the new mid-sized sports car is expected to have a vastly different exterior to its BMW twin under the skin. The use of lightweight, exotic materials such as carbon-fibre composites for the platform and body panels should also make the new vehicles more expensive propositions than the cut-price 86/BRZ.

According to the official press statement, the Supra successor is not likely to be the only jointly-developed high performance vehicle, with intentions for both companies to "further collaborate in the field of sports vehicle development".

Other areas of cooperation include battery technology research, which will focus on lithium-air systems that are purported to deliver "energy density greatly exceeding that of current lithium-ion batteries".

A new hydrogen fuel cell system (motor, fuel tank, battery) in development is expected to be ready to rolled out in 2020 and both companies "are convinced that fuel cell technology is one of the solutions necessary to achieve zero emissions".

The car makers will also push hard to create hydrogen refuelling infrastructure and develop "codes and standards" to be adopted by energy providers.

TMC boss Akia Toyoda said the signing of this official agreement strengthens the bonds between his company and the BMW Group and will deliver tangible results.

"Now, we are entering the phase that promises the fruit. While placing importance on what we learn from the joint development, we will work hard together in reaching our common goal of making ever-better cars," said Toyoda-san.

Posted Image

very suki motta.

PS. Not sure if this is a M-sport version as it doesn't have seemto have 8 M badges, may have to run the vin.

PS. Not sure if this is a M-sport version as it doesn't have seemto have 8 M badges, may have to run the vin.

Posted Image

What's interesting to note is that Toyota is fully capable of making a full on sports car and super car. The Lexus LFA which only a few have driven is said to be one of the purest motoring experiences available. The 86, though not a full on sports car (Mr Spoon said so), it's quite refreshing in the new car department. The old Supras, MR2s and Celica's were all very capable cars in their own right, particularly the Supra.

I would say, IMO, Toyota knows more than BMW about how to build a sports car. At least it seems so from the past 2 decades.

HOWEVER! Toyota has no clue how to build a luxury sports saloon/coupe. It can be argued that nobody knows how to grasp the winning formula of the 3 series.

In a very recent interview, the new head engineering responsible for the IS series of Lexus said specifically that it's his goal to make the IS overtake the 3 series as the benchmark for performance compact sedans.

Now...what would the collaboration between BMW and Toyota mean for the Lexus IS? I wonder....

Edited by zara

Just to play devils advocate and master troll....

The Lexus LFA costs around $800,000NZD and is slower than a $140,000NZD Corvette around the Nurburgring... to ad insult to injury it too Toyota 10 years to develop the car and a they spent a great deal of time tuning it at the Nurburgring. It does sound nice though and has an awesome instrument cluster.

The GT86 was designed and built by Subaru.

The Toyota Supra has always been a whale of a car that was good for little except 3rd gear burnouts.

The MR2, well thats arguable but I do agree that its not a bad sports car all and all.

The Celica was horrible in every way, the only half decent ones were the cars built buy TTE in Europe and they shared little with the road car in final tune.

Overnight parts from Japan, this thing will decimate all.

:lol: love the reference!

Not sure why everyone is so surprised - the cost of developing a new vehicle from scratch is stratospheric & sharing the development & some of the tooling costs makes the business case one hell of a lot more compelling. You would be very surprised what you get (or more importantly don't get) for a million dollars in product development... For a large development like this, you could easily rack up a couple of billion dollars before you even get to the product launch.

Not sure why everyone is so surprised - the cost of developing a new vehicle from scratch is stratospheric & sharing the development & some of the tooling costs makes the business case one hell of a lot more compelling. You would be very surprised what you get (or more importantly don't get) for a million dollars in product development... For a large development like this, you could easily rack up a couple of billion dollars before you even get to the product launch.

i with you...this is what you pay for when you buy a new car.Its not what each car is worth in parts,its the investment in the design and the tools to make it.Toyota would kill for BMWs brand value...BMW will look to spread some costs over relatively few cars sold

Uhoh, I can see where this is heading already - how long til we start spotting ///M badged Echos on bling chrome 19s? :unsure: Jokes aside, it seems logical for the two brands with possibly the greatest global penetration & recognition to pair up at some point. Will be very interesting to observe the results, if ever they see light of day

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Not sure where the quote from Apex originally came from, looks to me like it is someone that is para-phrasing the offical statement from BMW & Toyota as it's quite different from the official internal communications. The underlying story is that BMW and Toyota are "sharing technology" which means Toyota will show some German Engineers what they have learnt and developed about hybrids, and BMW will show some Japanese Engineers what they have learnt about "sports car know-how" :rolleyes: and sell some diesel engines.

This does not mean they will fully share all their combined wisdom of all things car wise with each other and Toyota will be developing a new Lexus out of it, or BMW will start to build a Corolla competitor, far from it. The sharing will be closely controlled and very carefully confined to the specific areas of the contract.

It may well lead to some funky new high-speed Hybrid from Toyota, but it won't be a full joint development between the two companies in the same way that Toyota got Subaru to work with them on the 86.

elmarco is spot on, the development costs of new cars are mind boggling, if Holden spent over AU$1 BILLION to develop the VE Commodore five years ago, just think what it would cost to develop a good car with new technology in it today!

There are too many car companies out there simply copying the good ideas and developments others have made, the few like BMW that do invest heavily on new ideas and technologies are finding it harder and harder to justify it - this "sharing" is like copying someone else's homework to get the answers more easily. It could produce some interesting results.