Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

U-turn need to give way to person with give way sign?

Hi guys, I have a questions troubling me for a while,

Please refer to picture,

Person A needs to do a u-turn. Does A or B need to give way? B has a give way sign.

Edited by andy_e39

If there is no "no uturns" sign then I would think A has right of way, however A should be turning into the closest lane (if at all possible).

At a give way sign you give way to EVERYONE unless they also have a give way sign or a stop sign.

If there is no "no uturns" sign then I would think A has right of way, however A should be turning into the closest lane (if at all possible).

At a give way sign you give way to EVERYONE unless they also have a give way sign or a stop sign.

Yep, huff3r is correct. Give way sign means give way to all. If there is a "no u-turns" sign then A should only go straight over. If they u turn and there's a crash it would be A's fault. No "no u-turn" sign, A definitely has right of way.

Edited by jeffbebe

I'd say both are at fault. Car A is allowed to do a U-turn "as long as it is safe to do so". Although this doesn't say the U turning driver has to give way to car B, it implies a duty of care.

A does not have a no u-turn sign and is physically impossible to turn into the closer lane. If you are in Christchurch you would know this is just before the airport on Memorial Ave outside the golf course. I in place of driver A nearly had a crash today when I was half way through my u-turn and driver B drove out looking only to his right.

Edited by andy_e39

I would of thought car b has the right of way seeing as it is turning left so right turning cars should giveway being car a.

if car A was there and started making the move before car B even got to the intersection, then car B should allow car A to complete the turn

I don't know the area, is there nowhere else to turn? Like a round-about further up the road? Or a side road further up that you could pull into and turn around?

Without knowing what it looks like in real life, it seems like a bit of a silly place to do a u turn

Edited by Wom

if car A was there and started making the move before car B even got to the intersection, then car B should allow car A to complete the turn

I don't know the area, is there nowhere else to turn? Like a round-about further up the road? Or a side road further up that you could pull into and turn around?

Without knowing what it looks like in real life, it seems like a bit of a silly place to do a u turn

Everyone on my side of the road u-turn at there . One was brave enough to drive over the grassy island in the middle in his SUV where his house was on my side of the road.

Even though it may seem silly, MOST of the people have the common sense to take the Giveway sign into consideration.

A has right of way.

In saying that, A should recognise the tendency of Car B to pull out without checking for traffic performing u-turns. A should be courteous.

Who cares pop the hand brake and get the hell out of dodge before car "B" looks up from sipping his Mochacino.

I apply this to most situations and it seems to be working out well.

Hi guys, I have a questions troubling me for a while,

Please refer to picture,

Person A needs to do a u-turn. Does A or B need to give way? B has a give way sign.

I believe that car A has to give way. The reason is car A is performing a right hand turn followed by a lane change then a right hand turn to complete a U turn. The Car A according to road rules must give way to all traffic as he/she is crossing the centre line.

White line(centreline) is equivilent to give way. so left hand rule applies

here is a excerp from give way rules

New Zealand's Give Way Rules

If you are going straight ahead, give way to all vehicles coming straight through from your right.

If you are turning, give way to all vehicles not turning.

If you are turning left, you have right of way to traffic turning right.

If you are turning right, give way to all vehicles. If you are leaving the path of the centre line, you are turning. You must give way to vehicles that are following the centre line, or that are turning left.

I believe that car A has to give way. The reason is car A is performing a right hand turn followed by a lane change then a right hand turn to complete a U turn. The Car A according to road rules must give way to all traffic as he/she is crossing the centre line.

White line(centreline) is equivilent to give way. so left hand rule applies

But car B is at a giveway. At a giveway you must give way to anyone, unless they are also at a giveway or stop sign. If you look at Car B the same way you looked at Car A, then they will have to give way due to the road rules applying to the Give Way sign, regardless of what car A does...

Give Way sign

At an intersection controlled by a Give Way sign:

slow down and be ready to stop

give way to all other vehicles, except those facing a Stop sign

if you and another vehicle are both facing a Give Way sign, use the give way rules (see The give way rules)

you must not go until it is safe.

Edited by huff3r

The way I read it, car A has to turn into closest available lane, then indicate to turn into the farthest away lane, car B has to wait for oncoming traffic only.

put it this way, me along with most people in the B position would probably assume the A car is indicating right because he wants to turn right, not to U turn. as i think hes turning right i wouldnt even look what hes doing because he wont be crossing my line of travel. in 95% of cases this would happen.

If im in the A situation and car B pulls up, i cancel the U-turn and either drive off straight or turn into that street and U turn there. its just too risky. (do this on the petone esplinade a few times a week)

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

^^^^ Yup my take as well.

There is no way that B can be aware that A is going to U turn, but merely turning right & therefore not crossing B's path.

I would do exactly as above, & indeed have when in this situation.

^^^^ Yup my take as well.

There is no way that B can be aware that A is going to U turn, but merely turning right & therefore not crossing B's path.

I would do exactly as above, & indeed have when in this situation.

Yus, but if they both observed the rules there shouldn't be a problem in any situation. Both cars have to turn into their first available lane.

The way I read it, car A has to turn into closest available lane, then indicate to turn into the farthest away lane, car B has to wait for oncoming traffic only.

Physically impossible to turn into closer lane

put it this way, me along with most people in the B position would probably assume the A car is indicating right because he wants to turn right, not to U turn. as i think hes turning right i wouldnt even look what hes doing because he wont be crossing my line of travel. in 95% of cases this would happen.

If im in the A situation and car B pulls up, i cancel the U-turn and either drive off straight or turn into that street and U turn there. its just too risky. (do this on the petone esplinade a few times a week)

Time to invent a u-turn signal lol

Physically impossible to turn into closer lane

The image you've put there would suggest vehicle A has a turning lane which it has entered into, can you advise where the car is supposed to go if it isn't doing a U-Turn, the opposite street is portrayed as a one way...

Legally, vehicle A is not allowed to turn straight into lane 2 (farthest lane) it has to turn into the first possible lane, THEN indicate to turn into the farthest lane.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

The image you've put there would suggest vehicle A has a turning lane which it has entered into, can you advise where the car is supposed to go if it isn't doing a U-Turn, the opposite street is portrayed as a one way...

Legally, vehicle A is not allowed to turn straight into lane 2 (farthest lane) it has to turn into the first possible lane, THEN indicate to turn into the farthest lane.

Yes, A has a turning lane. It would be a choice of doing a u-turn or just a simple right to where B is coming out from.

I would disagree that it is illegal to turn straight into lane 2. This because even further down the road there is a gap in the grassy island which a u-turn could be performed. Most people do not perform a u-turn in this "gap" is because: (1) it is not wide enough for the length of the car meaning the back of the car would poke out and this is slows down the WHOLE lane of traffic behind you as you wait for the opportunity to turn. (2) there has NEVER been a no u-turn sign set up where A is turning on my diagram. In fact even the police u-turn there.

Yes, A has a turning lane. It would be a choice of doing a u-turn or just a simple right to where B is coming out from.

I would disagree that it is illegal to turn straight into lane 2. This because even further down the road there is a gap in the grassy island which a u-turn could be performed. Most people do not perform a u-turn in this "gap" is because: (1) it is not wide enough for the length of the car meaning the back of the car would poke out and this is slows down the WHOLE lane of traffic behind you as you wait for the opportunity to turn. (2) there has NEVER been a no u-turn sign set up where A is turning on my diagram. In fact even the police u-turn there.

Cool, so we've established he's doing a U-Turn, however, it is illegal to turn directly in to the farthest lane, you must turn into first available lane, then indicate & give way to vehicles in the farthest lane. We've actually been through this one before on this FORUM. Whether or not there's not enough room or your vehicles turning circle won't reach turn into lane one is irrelevant.

It's not 100% the same, but this picture demonstrates the same thing below :

Posted Image

Edited by The Diesel Guy

just ken block that $hti :lol:

just ken block that $hti :lol:

The safest journey is one that isn't taken at all.

Haha

Rode code says "You are normally allowed to make U-turns, as long as the road is clear in both directions and it is safe to do so. Make sure you have enough room to complete the turn and don't create a hazard for oncoming vehicles." I would think in executing your U-turn you create a hazard for car B, so you may not proceed with your U-turn until it is safe to do so. I think if you had a collision you would be regarded to be more than 50% responsible...