Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Opinions on lcd or plasma.

Will do, i think it stinks when companies like this (D**k S***h in this instance)have a corporate strategy to minimize refunds or returns. They employ every trick in the book to avoid their CGA responsibilities.

I dunno, I'd be wanting to buy a new TV after 4 years anyway.. Sounds like it's had a good run to me, anyway.

When I was buying my new Phone (HTC One X) they tried to sell me extended warrenty's.... "now, you can.... "NO"... are you sure.. it's "no!" and that was the end of that!

My biggest gripe with the CGA would be twats that buy a $600 compaq piece of sh*t for something it was never supposed to do in the first place.

Edited by antil33t

I dunno, I'd be wanting to buy a new TV after 4 years anyway.. Sounds like it's had a good run to me, anyway.

When I was buying my new Phone (HTC One X) they tried to sell me extended warrenty's.... "now, you can.... "NO"... are you sure.. it's "no!" and that was the end of that!

My biggest gripe with the CGA would be twats that buy a $600 compaq piece of sh*t for something it was never supposed to do in the first place.

The issue is how long should an item you buy last for. In this instance it should last for a period that a reasonable consumer would expect. Older CRT TV's last 10 years easy so why should 4 years be a "good run" on a top of the line model?

How long do you expect your new phone gadget to last for? 6 months? and whats that got to do with some twat buying a compaq?

Are you not able to run a business with 35 staff, use the $600 compaq for 12 hours a day accounting and kids personal use every day?

How long do you expect your new phone gadget to last for? 6 months? and whats that got to do with some twat buying a compaq?

I think what Mike is trying to get across is the fact that some people go in to purchase a half assed product designed for the task but not designed to endure the level of task requested i.e above. I've seen it heaps with what I do, someone buys a $600 laptop, then expects it to run a major business and have the kids use it after hours, then they complain when it fails at 12-24 months.

Years ago you couldn't buy a $600 laptop for example, so you can't compare the time frames they should last for. You couldn't buy a 29" TV for less than $1500 back in the day, so they were made well and in some cases were made in Japan, that is a buyword IMO. Things today are cheaper for the same size/thing so IMO you can't compare them.

It's like buying a Toyota Camry to tow with saving money, whereas with the amount and level of towing you require you should have bought the Toyota Landlooser. Customers whinge about the CGA & being fit the for the purpose, whereas IMO fit for the purpose should work both ways.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Don't rely on pricing that even your employee will give you. It's all rigged! I'm told I get cost + 2.5% from Noel Leeming Group, but that's the cost loaded into their system only, not the true costs they actually pay the manufacturer, I've caught them out countless times ending in countless arguments!

I needed 2x networkable printers for a job I was doing last week, quoted $283inc GST from supplier, my cost plus 2.5% from Bond & Bond was 360inc GST. Go figure.

I NEVER believed it. They sent us all emails (I work at the Hospital up here) stating it was cost plus 5%. I know they get rebates after certain $ values and all that, so their invoiced cost price isn't the "real" cost price, but by my calculations at the time, the 100% store sold it to me for nearly $400 less than the Harvey Norman "cost" price! The 100% store was still making money on it somewhere (and I don't begrudge them that!)

Fisher and Paykel ended up replacing that oven on my request (eventually) under CGA, then when the new one was just as useless (turned off when using high temps, which I do for particular things, or self cleaning as per the manual :rolleyes: ) they eventually refunded the price I paid - It only took a year! They didn't have any parts in stock and refused to air freight them in. When they did arrive, it was still faulty after the "repair". Hence my refund request. They would have had 2 used 900mm freestanders to sell off after that :wacko:

Moral of the Story. Fisher and Paykel is NO LONGER a reputable brand and will NEVER be purchased for my house again, even though it used to all be F&P. Their customer care is useless, which is bizare, as I deal with F&P MEDICAL who are amazing and do more than you expect all the time!

I brought a Falcon Toledo 90 in the end, which retailed for nearly what I paid for my E39 :blink: Far superior though and no problems, plus I can run it at 250C for hours and it just keeps going, plus I can touch the door while it's doing it!

Moral of the Story. Fisher and Paykel is NO LONGER a reputable brand and will NEVER be purchased for my house again, even though it used to all be F&P. Their customer care is useless, which is bizare, as I deal with F&P MEDICAL who are amazing and do more than you expect all the time!

IMO they never were a reputable company. They used to be a byword and I couldn't see why, their gear was rubbish reliability wise, when they left Mosgiel for Mexico the only issue I remorsed over was the fact that kiwis lost their jobs. When I remodeled my kitchen a year or so ago, it was done with Westinghouse and Bosch and I cannot complain about any issues what soever.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Will do, i think it stinks when companies like this (D**k S***h in this instance)have a corporate strategy to minimize refunds or returns. They employ every trick in the book to avoid their CGA responsibilities.

Step 1 - try to fob customer off onto manufacturer.

Step 2 - refuse to accept return of faulty goods unless customer signs form accepting costs

Step 3 - out source assessment of faulty goods so that floor staff have no authority to resolve defects

Step 4 - Tell customer that their product has reached the end of its life anyway.

Step 5 - only accept complaints via email.

Step 6 - query the genuineness of the customers crappy thermal printer receipt that fades after 6 months.etc, etc

new tv, thanks D**k S***h

with 3d there is the active and shutter glasses ??.

With 3D there are 2 systems, active which have active shutter glasses and you get full HD, or as LG has done on it's LED TV's, you can have passive 3D, and use the glasses from your local movies theatre. There is one MASSIVE drawback with this though and that is 1/2 the lines are for one eye, the other 1/2 are for the other so basically 1/2 HD.

At some point there will be 4K TV's, but even when they arrive they are likeley to carry a premium price for some time. A few of the latest hometheater receivers are including 4K upscaling, they would have to as there is no 4K content. I read that a standard Bluray would not be able to hold a normal movie at the 4K spec - there is just too much data. So we will need new players, and if you download the contetnt they will be huge files, much much bigger than a normal HD movie file. Even with digital broadcasting the signal will require a lot of bandwidth as again there is so much data. So is it something to hold off buying now for? - no way (unless you love being 1st on the block to own something, and have money to burn - they will be pricy).

Extended warranties, yes pricey but i have to say with how technology is now days its worth thinking about. Your court fees are what $150 odd? a warranty on a $1000 Tv is around that kind of money for +4 years and they will normal come to you and fix the unit on-site.

Working in retail you have to believe in what you sell but tbh i dont like them, Ill offer it as thats my job but im not going to push anyone into something they dont want. Its there money at the end of the day. If it breaks i can say hay i did offer it.

The first models of the LCD and plasma Tvs had a very bad life time we are talking 2-5 years max. But with NEO plasma and LED Tvs they have been able to bring down the heat and the amount of components so less things to go wrong. As well as updating how the panel itself works.

Bought an extended warrenty with the POS Sony SXRD 60" TV on the recommenedation of the Harvey Normans sales guy. Glad we did - thing failed with 3 separate and well documented faults after the standard warrenty eexpired. Replaced as the other was consided a lemon with a new Sony 55 inch. It is not an equivalent TV but better than the old faulty one.

Got to watch those sales people though, selling high end monster speaker cable, HNMI cable, and subwoofer cables on bottem end systems where there is absolutely no decernable difference for 99% of people. Caught one the Harvey Normans sale staff using the RCA video in, and showing the HUGE different made by the monster HDMI cable. Was serriously unimpressed when I let his awed older customers into his nasty little trick, and pointed them in the direction of the gaming consoles where you could buy a perfewctly good HDMI cable for about $40. They also sold my sister inlaw over $600 of damn monster cables when she bought an a 42" HD TV, not full HD, just the minimum spec ones they can claim are HD, a end of line Yamaha sound bar which came with a sub cable, and another brand DVD player (not a bluray). Confronted the sale guy who claimed it was a high end system so I got the manger, and asked him if what my sister in law had bough was in any way "high end", he admited it wasn't. I did a blind test with my sister in law and family with the $120 worth of cables we bought from d*ck Smith (including an additional VGA cable for her PC). No one could see or hear any difference.

Edited by jimbo