Sign in to follow this  
jeff002

WTB bmw touch up paint

Anyone know where I can buy it?Few stonechip on bonnet.Want to fix it but dont want to spent too much.

Anyone know where I can buy it?Few stonechip on bonnet.Want to fix it but dont want to spent too much.

The dealer sells paint sticks in true BMW colours. There are a bit like using twink. Fine for stone chips.

The dealer sells paint sticks in true BMW colours.

Huh?

What do you mean "true BMW colours"?

Any paint shop that does touch up colours in either bottle/brush or aerosol can can do "true BMW colours"

Sh1t, i've got a mixing bank in my shed with all the tinters and i can make up "true BMW colours". All you need is tinters and the formula.

OP, shop around before you go and get stung by a dealer.

What colour is it?. colour type is on the left front suspension strut engine bay.

I got touch up paint from the dealer once before, wasn't expensive - can't remember how much specifically.

Huh?

What do you mean "true BMW colours"?

Any paint shop that does touch up colours in either bottle/brush or aerosol can can do "true BMW colours"

Sh1t, i've got a mixing bank in my shed with all the tinters and i can make up "true BMW colours". All you need is tinters and the formula.

OP, shop around before you go and get stung by a dealer.

With all respect to people like yourself and people in the trade you'd know about the art of mixing paints and also the challenges matching some factory paint colours from various make (like current Kawasaki motorcycle paints with pearl effect for example).

In my veiw the dealer sticks are cheap enough for touch ups and a bit safer than risking someone's version of a factory colour. I think it might have been under $50 last time.

With all respect to people like yourself and people in the trade you'd know about the art of mixing paints and also the challenges matching some factory paint colours from various make (like current Kawasaki motorcycle paints with pearl effect for example).

In my veiw the dealer sticks are cheap enough for touch ups and a bit safer than risking someone's version of a factory colour. I think it might have been under $50 last time.

Yes but.............the dealer will have the "prime", which is the first variant of 'that' colour and may very well be completely wrong.

For instance, Delphin met'.

One "prime" and 2 variants, one darker (D) and one yellower (Y).

post-3653-1341720368.jpg

If you go into the dealer and ask which one is which they would look at you like you're on drugs. But you'd be p1ssed if you got the wrong one.

Plus the touch up from the dealer would be as the colour was sprayed at the factory and doesn't take into account any fading or changing of the colour, or any respray which may have been slightly off.

Better to get an actual match to the colour of your car as it is now from a decent paint supplier. Should cost far less than $50 as well.

where are you located?

ColourWorks in Auckland does it for 20-30 a bottle (a big twink bottle) depending if you buy aerosol cans or not, colour matched to your petrol flap to factor in fade and aging

Another thing to note.

If ya do get one of the bottles with the brush attached to the cap, don't use that brush, they are stiff as hell and will "pull" the paint when you put it on.

Go to $2 shop and buy a multi pack of brushes, they're cheap crappy one use things but are softer than the ones supplied with the touch up paint.

Yes but.............the dealer will have the "prime", which is the first variant of 'that' colour and may very well be completely wrong.

For instance, Delphin met'.

One "prime" and 2 variants, one darker (D) and one yellower (Y).

post-3653-1341720368.jpg

If you go into the dealer and ask which one is which they would look at you like you're on drugs. But you'd be p1ssed if you got the wrong one.

Yup - always makes me laugh when someone wants a second hand #### colour door - when there are several variants of the said #### colour.

This example confirmed by the painter I use to touch up my race car - he once repainted the guard in the wrong code of Lachsilber - was quite noticeably lighter shade to the rest of the car. He was going to redo but I told him not to worry - 1 - it is covered with decals & 2 - it was bound to need to be done again at some stage.

Guess what :( - famous last words...

363/5 /5 -Looks like you can buy the actual colour variant from the dealer then

This might be why my Drivers door is yellower than the rest of the car.