Sign in to follow this  
speakeasy

2.7 conversion for my 89 325

hey all, im intrested in the 2.7 conversion for the e30 325, it seems as though shes going to need to be opened up soon, and i figured while im paying my mechanic a fortune to do it i might as well go the conversion... does anyone have any experience with them, or even know any good tech sites? any information would be appreciated!

Guest Andrew

200 hp ? .. why bother. For the same price you could get more power, hell even buy a japper motor to drop in there with way more hp.

Who are you paying to do it?

wat ? <_< jappa motor .. no .. sure it wil be fast but its like sacralige its like a rice powered euro car its just as bad as goin out and buying a honda civic and putting bmw badges on it as well as a type R one

arhhh its just wrong

go 2.7 bmw engine!!

hmmmmm....i say if the engine goes fast it goes fast...doesnt really matter....not all jappas are rice....make some damn good engines...i would be keen on a SR20DET swap.....4 cylinder power! but i dont know what i will be doing eventually, am interested in the 2.7 swap, could make a Alpina B3 2.7 Replica

personally, if I were to do an E30 again (a coupe maybe) I would go with the big block 6.

M30 3.5l, Ideally a M88 (S38, or DOHC M30, depends what you want to call it).

They probably aren't that $$$ (M30). Nice, leasurely, powerful driving.

There is too much $$$ involved in building/rebuilding engines, just replace it.

i think in the end it comes down to a matter of personal opinion cos personally i dnt like the fact of putting a japanese engin in a european can it kinda ruins the fun of a pure euro .. but if its wat u like i say go a head

I totally agree with Bimmerboy. Jap engines in a BMW ? Goes against my grain !!

Edited by 37 South

like imagine going to the dealers to get something for ur car that reqires dem to go under the hood and imagine the embarassment u will feel wen they see u hav a japansese engine

glenn...im interested in the idea of the m30...been thinking bout it for a while...not that im going to do it anytime soon but hey....graham bellars is doing one isnt he? i love the idea of so much torque, how much does the m30 weigh? the s38 was in the m1 wasnt it? i imagine that would be nigh on impossible to get one.....although now glenn is going to tell me that it came out of another bmw that is very common???

wat ? <_< jappa motor .. no .. sure it wil be fast but its like sacralige its like a rice powered euro car its just as bad as goin out and buying a honda civic and putting bmw badges on it as well as a type R one

arhhh its just wrong

go 2.7 bmw engine!!

You are clearly a genius.

Its utterly wrong. Its like a frankenstein car.. or even better..

DO YOU WANT TO BE DRIVING WITH THE ELEPHANTMAN?

I think not.

Stay true, go bmw!

i think in the end it comes down to a matter of personal opinion cos personally i dnt like the fact of putting a japanese engin in a european can it kinda ruins the fun of a pure euro .. but if its wat u like i say go a head

I sorta agree. A Jap engine wouldnt be my first choice for a bimmer, or Euro cars (SR20 in Morris minor wouldnt be bad), then again, from what you said earlier, I doubt you've driven any good jap engines Edited by E30_318i

horrible is that rotary powered merc.....hideousness at it worst......BMW's powered by jappas....arent really rice....i know this has been done to death but rice to me isnt japanese full stop....its making your car look ghey......the japs make some bloody good engines.....SR20DET, RB26DETT, amongst others.....reliable and powerful.....purpose built for forced induction....all good attributes....there a realistic alternative here in NZ where all we get is jap imports....parts are cheap and plentiful...it may not be everyones cup of tea...but if it goes fast...who really cares?

But is a bmw without a bmw engine, in fact a bmw?

The engine is obviously the most important part of the car. The heart..

I'm with BimmerBoy, 37 South and DNZ on this one.

Not that I don't respect what Glenn etc have done, he seems to have a truly amazing car, each to their own, I just go with BMW engine in a BMW, Honda into Honda etc...I agree, the engine is the heart of a car, and therefore the most important factor.

Cheers

I mean imagine it. An M3 without a straight six (or four) is just not right.. Youre taking away the character of the car....

Whats so 'rice' about a f**king skyline, supra or 200SX etc. etc. engine in a bimmer? f**king nothing

Ive seen just as many riced bimmers as civics

I mean imagine it. An M3 without a straight six (or four) is just not right.. Youre taking away the character of the car....

Yeah. Im hoping they arent going to stick a V8 in the next one (from the factory).

Any one that would change the enginein an M3 needs a bullet through the head anyway

Alrighty then, First post from the new computer!!

There are different types of enthusists:

The die hard pureists that don't see outside what the factory gives them.

Those that appreciate what a chassis can do from one manufacturer combined with the engines of another, and build there own vehicle that suits their needs.

Those that just have to rice things out with losts of stickers etc...

As it has been said before, each to their own.

But, if you are asking if a BMW is still a BMW when it has a JAP engine, I'd say yes.

Andrew & ///Dave might back me up on this one, my E30 doesn't drive any different to any other E30, when you are in the drivers seat every thing is the same, it is just smoother & you don't have to worry about whether you can overtake that car infront of you!!

Shame about the intercooler though, o'well it works!!

Gus: The M88/S38 came in the Euro Spec E28 M535i and later in the E34 M5's, it is a 3.8l DOHC 300+ hp (360 or 340 from the E34 M5's with 6spd's!?!?!), I don't fancy anyones chances of getting one.

Just a straight M30 from a E34 535i, would be very nice in a E30, 250hp 315Nm I think.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm....315 nM of torque.......that would be soo nice to drive....although after what happened tonite i dont think i need any more power just yet :(

and there is heaps of 535s around isn t there?....ive seen a lot....would it work with the e30 gearbox? theres not many manual e34's

I don't think you'd want to use the E30 GB with 315Nm!!

Find a 5spd from a E28.

The M30 came in a few different forms early ones (E28) had large bores & short strokes (= revvy), but they apparently had probs with HG's in the 2nd & 3rd (E34) variations they had long strokes & smaller bores.

The old M30's came in 2.8l also.

I think on www.e30.de it has a big speal on the M30 engine, Otherwise I have a link at work to it.

By revvy I mean as revvy as a 3.5l 6 can be!!

What happened tonight Gus, more sideways attacks on innocent pieces of kerb!?!?!?

yeah...i may as well bring it up before andy or dave do....did another taupo in a kerb this time..not pretty....left rear bottle cap f**cked...left from ok..driveable..left front inner track rod bent...still working out how to replace that...and unknown at the rear...havnt got there yet...dont really want to! will post some pics later

oh the joy

Guest Andrew

Alright, here is how I see it.

If you can AFFORD to do any work to get more power with BMW parts then go ahead an d to it. I'm saying why waste money here, the goal at the end of the day is power.

Now I sat in glens car, this motor was smoother than any m20, you will never use m50 and smooth in the same sentence either. It was incredible. It drove better than a bimmer + it had more power than anyones car on the board. It would even put M3ANs m3 to shame and it only cost $7000 bucks.

The m30 is great and all, but this is one motor I would not want to put it. It does weight quite a bit more than the m20. Those of us with e30s know they are already pretty damn tail happy at the best of times. Sure you can hack up the firewall and move it back a little, but I like to keep things simple.

As far as i'm concerned the only "Fast" BMW is an m3 (e36, e46). The others all are OK, most will do a 0 - 100 in 7 - 9 seconds. Although I wouldn't measure a bimmer by its 0 - 100 times :P

There is nothing rice about a factory jappa, most of them are good cars, and will own (dare i say pwn) our cars in a straight line due to thier short gearing. They don't break often and will take a punishment.

If i could afford to I'd do the 1jZ swap like Glenn. But for now its just turboing the factory motor. OMG with a skyline turbo.. is that rice?