Sign in to follow this  
speakeasy

2.7 conversion for my 89 325

Guest Spargo

Let's have a bit of perspective here people! The only bimmer where a swap is economical is an E30. Sure people have done done so wtih other models, but the costs far outweigh the gains. It all boils down to this: The only reason this is a discussion is that the only 2 swaps worthwhile involving a BMW engine (S38 / S50) cost close to 20g all up! Sure after that you have a cheap supercar (sub 4.5 0-100), but the problem is that E30's are cheap cars, and their owners are cheap asses (not saying anyone here is, just read R3vlimited for proof)

So an E30 gets a swap to jappa power, because its cheaper to do, and every other model utilises a form of forced induction, retaining the factory, because its the best way to do it.

I don't mind a bimmer with a jappa engine or indeed any car with a swap (proof: one of my mates has a datto with a 400hp at the treads SR20, and another has a B18c powered mini with a B16a head)

But before you criticise the jappa power, know that a dohc turbo is better than a sohc atmo, anyday of the week.

Gus

I am thinking that you will be a panelbeaters dream, I bet that in a few years time you would have bent every part there is to bend on a car, which is fine so long as you stay in one piece.

Cheers

haha....no panels bent! sorry all panel beaters! however....this is offset by the fact my diff is probably gone :(

ahhhh! what did i start?! all the methods have there pros/cons. and each to his own.

im somewhat a purist, i wouldnt want anything that wasnt german in my baby. but thats just me. in reply to all those talking about 3.0 litre 5 series conversions and the like, sposedly the 2.7 is a realtivly easy conversion and quite common in europe, if it were done properly it would be as reliable as any bmw it also dosent require changing the engine mounts or using new/different parts or shifting stuff round the engine bay like fans oil coolers etc and of course you can still use the gearbox and i dont know how many of you have tried to find a good used 5 speed but its an absolute f**king joke.

i was quoted from one established parts dealer 2 years on the waiting list, and its like 3 and a half grand or more from bmw. the less work and parts to find the better, im not made of money. also andrew said you shouldnt measure an e30 on its 0 to a 100 times which is so true, its about driving it. i dont know weather or not ud actually notice but a big heavy six up front would completly change the feel and balance of the car. or so ive been told....

anyway, 200 bhp in a 1100kg car would be a hell of a lot of fun... its getting into some pretty compeditive power to weight ratios. to who ever asked whod i get to do it, i'd ask gavin bellars to do it, but i know hes getting sick of me going in and getting carried away with my crazy rebuild plans ;)

(p.s. i really dont know anyore than what ive read about these conversions, so im no authority on the matter)

Guest Andrew

ahhhh! what did i start?! all the methods have there pros/cons. and each to his own.

im somewhat a purist, i wouldnt want anything that wasnt german in my baby. but thats just me. in reply to all those talking about 3.0 litre 5 series conversions and the like, sposedly the 2.7 is a realtivly easy conversion and quite common in europe, if it were done properly it would be as reliable as any bmw it also dosent require changing the engine mounts or using new/different parts or shifting stuff round the engine bay like fans oil coolers etc and of course you can still use the gearbox and i dont know how many of you have tried to find a good used 5 speed but its an absolute f**king joke.

i was quoted from one established parts dealer 2 years on the waiting list, and its like 3 and a half grand or more from bmw. the less work and parts to find the better, im not made of money. also andrew said you shouldnt measure an e30 on its 0 to a 100 times which is so true, its about driving it. i dont know weather or not ud actually notice but a big heavy six up front would completly change the feel and balance of the car. or so ive been told....

anyway, 200 bhp in a 1100kg car would be a hell of a lot of fun... its getting into some pretty compeditive power to weight ratios. to who ever asked whod i get to do it, i'd ask gavin bellars to do it, but i know hes getting sick of me going in and getting carried away with my crazy rebuild plans ;)

(p.s. i really dont know anyore than what ive read about these conversions, so im no authority on the matter)

OK your a purist.

Your not getting a lot of power for $$ though. I'd be looking to turbo the 2.7 at least. 200 hp isn't a lot at the end of the day.

no i still reckon a rotary is still sacrilige any thing thats not bmw been put in a bmw is sacrilige but im mainly purist wat do i know

aha i know what you mean :P I had a turbo mazda about a year ago and i was considering an engine swap, but i was adament it wasnt going to be anything but a mazda motor

a rotary would go against everything bmw stands for.

There HAS to be a reason only mazda does em, and even then the RX8 is slower than an RX 7 *cough* HELLO TORQUE? HELLO??? *cough*

maybe because the rx7 benfits from a turbo? if the rx8 had that snail bolted on mazda wouldnt be able to sell it in europe, due to the strict european fuel emission standards.

184kW from a n/a 1.3L engine? not bad

For a 2.8ltr conversion, give Graeme Clyde a call at German Auto Components (GAC) in Christchurch.

Such conversions rock!

For those of you wanting to drive "riced BMWs" why don't you go to www.wanttobe seendrivingabmwbutcan'treallyaffordit.com

Cheers,

J

Guest Shadowliner

okay here goes .. I first learned about this site while passing a car when I saw a bimmersport sticker on it.

well since then knew there where purists here in NZ.

reading along this group of messages I see most of you guys have not really seen bmw's in action.

I agree in most of the guys when they say be a purist instead of foreign transplants.

So lets get back to the original topic... the guy wants to stick in a 2.7 conversion.expense wise it might alot but worth the convert with the right things done.

I had a 2.7 alpina and I managed 300kw normal aspi.

sticking in an m50 is also an alternative.

if u can find a m power motor in nz then its all the better.

personally I would go for a replacement.

links for e30 bmw

Http://www.bmwe30.net

good luck

Guest Andrew

"I had a 2.7 alpina and I managed 300kw normal aspi. "

That is just plain full of sh*t. Thats more than a V8 M5.. more than BMWs best straight six in the M3 and you got 300 kW normaly aspirated on a 20 year old motor.

SURE

the last one that my workshop did is a red e30 with the play hot325 it is 320kw

Speakeasy you still keen to do this if you we can organise a time thei week or this week end and you can meet the guys at my work shop

Guest Andrew

the last one that my workshop did is a red e30 with the play hot325 it is 320kw

Speakeasy you still keen to do this if you we can organise a time thei week or this week end and you can meet the guys at my work shop

320 kW.. do you mean HP.. at the wheels? at the flywheel?

Its too unbelievable.

I've spoken to the guys at that shop and they never mentioned anything like those figures.

Stewart Motorsport yes?

Guest Andrew

For a 2.8ltr conversion, give Graeme Clyde a call at German Auto Components (GAC) in Christchurch.

Such conversions rock!

For those of you wanting to drive "riced BMWs" why don't you go to www.wanttobe seendrivingabmwbutcan'treallyaffordit.com

Cheers,

J

I can't see a problem with BMW handling and a better motor?

Why pay more for something that will give less returns.

320kw = 430hp - I really, really, really don't think so!

"What's that in your drive way?"

"Oh, my drive train, gear box ......."

The only "transplant" worthwhile in an E30 is to go 2.8ltr and try for c.220 - 240hp.

Otherwise, buy a WRX, have fun, but twist your hat backwards.

Guest Andrew

320kw = 430hp - I really, really, really don't think so!

"What's that in your drive way?"

"Oh, my drive train, gear box ......."

The only "transplant" worthwhile in an E30 is to go 2.8ltr and try for c.220 - 240hp.

Otherwise, buy a WRX, have fun, but twist your hat backwards.

why not M50 modded.. why not turbo.. why not S50?

Why is the m20 2.8 the only worth while setup? How much does it cost again?

Turbo.. approx 140 - 160 kW on stock motor.. cost $3000 - 4000

M50 swap - approx 120 - 130 kW cost $10000

m20 2.8 built cost.. $15000 + all up?

don't get me wrong.. I'd love to do a 2.8 built and turbo that. But i'd sooner do a 1JZ swap for half the price and more power.

Such conversions rock!

Cheers,

J

Is the 2.8 conversion a modified m20 or a stock m30 ? and if its a m30 why not use the 3.5 ?

Guest Shadowliner

That is just plain full of sh*t. Thats more than a V8 M5.. more than BMWs best straight six in the M3 and you got 300 kW normaly aspirated on a 20 year old motor.

SURE

Don't get me wrong but I think someone's gotta spend alota money on you guy.

bmw's power go way higher.I guess your exposure to bmws and their parts is not as much as mine.

I have had a Alpina333, 333b4turbo ,325is and an Alpina 2.7 .

when u have raw power from these vehicles there is so much to do.

do me a favor do some research on wild bmw converts and see wat u get

Shadowliner,

I am sceptical of those power figures (but am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, so will leave it at that) but assuming that these figures are true.

But....how well does the stock engine (used as the base for these wild conversions) stand up to the stresses etc that such power would put on them?

Does this power mean that they are terribly temperamental/ unreliable? 300Kw is one hell of a lot of power to make using an old engine.

Cheers

i CANT SAY MUCH BUT THIS LMFAO :lol:. This is a joke, you guys are just joking around. I doubt your figures are correct. But if they are, exactly how much of these engines is near to the original spec. I very much doubt they are daily driver type engines and would require a reasonable amount of work to keep them in top condition. The figure you have given is unrealistic (however it is achievable) BUT as you do not quote whether that is flywheel hp or wheel hp etc. Plus I would be interested in a break down of how that hp was actually reached, what mods to the block head etc has been done. Just saying I have 300kw, dont mean didly squat. (back it up) Logically speaking take alook at the flow capacity of the cylinder head, (even a seriously worked head.) for one of these engines. The numbers dont stack up, unless there is some serious work been done. If that is true it is hard to claim it is really a original engine etc. If you had quoted 300hp it would be a little more believable. So put your money where you mouth is and lets hear the full specs.

Edited by tHrEEtWoFiVe