Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Bimmersport 2012 Photo Competition

Hey Everyone, we haven't produced a calendar for the last 2 years but due to many requests we are going to put out a 2013 bimmersport calendar ready for you all to buy as self Christmas presents.

Again we want photos of members cars whether they are individual shots or shots with more than 1 car. We are keen to see some more 'group' photos again this year.

We need to pick 13 fantastic photographs and would like you to submit your pieces of art, photographers will be recognized on the calendar and will receive a complimentary calendar. Owners of the cars photographed will be recognised also if appropriate.

Specs for photos are: 8MPX or larger (approx 3600 pixels wide)

email lo res copies of your photos to ollie@bimmersport.co.nz

Final Deadline: Sunday 7th of October

Calendars will go on sale again in November - price to be confirmed.

Just a few tips about taking good photos.

- Take them in as high qaulity as possible. Print standards dictate atleast 300dpi and above 8 mpx.

- Include sexy girls in the photo where possible.

- Dont muck around with colours or anything in photoshop, leave that to us as it going to require the correct balance for print. Also do not crop the photo, leave that to us because we need bleed etc.

- When you take / submit the photos make sure they are not under or over exposed. Think about framing the shot properly. look at the things in your shot and make sure you dont have too much of white or black (unless your going for that look)

- Taking photos on grass is quite tricky, the colour green doesnt go with much and just ends up reflecting onto paint and spoiling colour balance of the photo.

- Taking photos under trees with poor light also can be very hard to get right.

- Would be great if the cars are clean, or extremely dirty/snowy when you photo them :)

check out photos from previous years on the bimmersport facebook page (make sure you like the page)

You have gay members too *puts hand up* what about sexy guys? :P

Edited by _Mark_

Any e30 touring's in Auckland want to do a Group Photo?? or any e30's? :D

Would be mint to get a few e30's to meet up somewhere!

You have gay members too *puts hand up* what about sexy guys? :P

HAHA, that's a win right there.

Good on ya mate. :D

HAHA, that's a win right there.

Good on ya mate. :D

Ta *takes a bow* hahaha...

Any e30 touring's in Auckland want to do a Group Photo?? or any e30's? :D

Would be mint to get a few e30's to meet up somewhere!

I can take a half decent picture - happy to do a group shot for people if needed and happy to chuck my 528 in an E39 group shot!

BTW - tried emailing some pics to Ollie and it says his mailbox is full!

Anyone with a red E39 or a black E60 in Chch.... I'm thinking an awesome "Canterbury themed" evolution of the 5 series group shot.

Count me in, gonna photo the sh*t outa my car.

When doing group shots, dont pack the cars all together or take them from just front on. It makes for a bad photo.

Do something like this.

Posted Image

Sorry phil, stole your photos :D

Also, unless your good at it and know what your doing/have the equipment, taking photos in direct sunlight will usually just wash out the colours. Shade or large aperture (Fstop) with long shutter times can be your friend here (also need a tripod :P)

i have my iPhone 4S thats 8MP so ill be sweet as... it has HDR too Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Have potential award winner for dirtiest...

The one thing i do know with my VERY limited photographic ability is the best time for pic's is the hour (or close to) before sunrise and the hour after sunset. It's called "sweet light" or something haha.

my cars not worthy ,

That's what i thought 'bout my old E34, but gave it a go anyway and what do ya know haha.

post-3653-1342653034.jpg

post-3653-1342653050.jpg

Would be interested to see potential photos posted as well as emailed to Ollie..

:P

correct :)

Basically what your trying to do is capture the highest amount of dynamic range.

What that means is trying not to clip any whites or blacks or any colour. EG not blowing out the sky (all white) or if you do not have lots of it in the photo.

Or if you have a black car, its very hard in sun light to get the details because your cameras sensor is trying really hard to balance the whole picture.

Remember more detail is better than less, we can always colour/contrast the image in post with more information, but if its not there we cant restore it. This is how the movies do it .. light everything and create the look in post production.

Bellicose's photo is a good example of how to balance it all by shooting at 'magic hour'.

At day time I use grad filters to darken the sky so it doesnt blow out.

If you have to take a photo in direct sun light, you dont want the sun facing the lens as a rough rule of thumb, if the sun's behind you your camera doesnt have to fight with the UV light bombarding the camera sensor, causing colours to wash out and become bland. A polerisation filter can help with this but can introduce other issues and sometimes isnt always ideal.

If you guys need any more tips or suggestions around lighting... just ask

Am i aloud to enter a Photo of the C4S? hehe :rolleyes:

Can I enter the Ford? #iwin :blink:

It says bimmersport, not bogansport. :)

I think there's pictures of my E30 somewhere after paddock bashing....

I've upped my email quota but you should still be able to send pics through.

I don't want high res pics emailed to me !!!! screen resolution is all we need for judging, when we select the winners we will request high res pics to be sent through.

Look forward to seeing what comes in, don't worry if you think you are a crap photographer, You never know you might just get a good shot anyway!

don't worry if you think you are a crap photographer, You never know you might just get a good shot anyway!

Tell me 'bout it, $100 digi' from the warehouse, absolute crap stormy morning down at Taranaki port. Got the pic's onto 'puter and they didn't look too bad, flick them off to Ollie and tada....Calender

It says bimmersport, not bogansport. :)

sometimes i wonder

The one thing i do know with my VERY limited photographic ability is the best time for pic's is the hour (or close to) before sunrise and the hour after sunset. It's called "sweet light" or something haha.

That's what i thought 'bout my old E34, but gave it a go anyway and what do ya know haha.

post-3653-1342653034.jpg

post-3653-1342653050.jpg

Love this car!