Sign in to follow this  
CSET

MB 500SEC AMG

I've had a sweet spot for the 560SEC for a long time. I've heard some horror stories around fuel consumption and reliability, but it's pretty hard to get away from the classic autobahn-stormer looks.

Mercedes Benz 500SEC AMG

I thought this would be a good discussion starter, for both the ridiculous price and the fact the salesman can't spell to save himself. Something a bit different as well.

Has anyone owned one of these in the past?

IMHO, a ridiculous price.

I think they're a great looking car, but have had two friends with them who have both had ignition (relay?) failures, at a cost of $3k each, plus delivery time for parts.

The last one of these I saw on TM was about $17k. Left hook isn't great either.

True AMG from the 1980's in that condition is worth it IMO.

You have to remember that this was a time before AMG was a division of Mercedes/Daimler. So there are much less of these around and AMG was more of a bespoke tuning house.

thats the one that went through turners damage auction a little while back .

cant remember what was wrong with it , may have just been lapsed reg etc

etc etc , had quite a bit of interest , bidding war .

i think it went upwards to 15k or more ,

cant quite remember

First off I loath that dealership., heard they aren't very respectful of the cars or road rules.

Beautiful car though... off the photos it looks to be one of the tidiest I've seen. Some one I know had one and they are sure impressive.

$30k though.... Kinda of agree with Nathan, but somehow it's probably too much in this market.

You have to remember that this was a time before AMG was a division of Mercedes/Daimler. So there are much less of these around and AMG was more of a bespoke tuning house.

yep had a bit of trouble selling my benz too. in those days, its the equivelent of AC Schnitzer or Hartge, which a BMW guy will pay 30-40% more for the same model over an M Version. in a way, Mercedes buying it devalued the badge.

also check this mitsy

Posted Image

Posted Image

whoops went off topic

First off I loath that dealership., heard they aren't very respectful of the cars or road rules.

Yip, Same here. Would not buy from ever

Neat cars, and surely the ignition can just come from any old wrecked W126 sedan? Best riding/ quality cars Mercedes ever made apparently.

Theres a green on green on green one for about $50k as well

old man owned one back in the 80's..was only a few years old then though so wouldn't know.

I know nothing about them but fark thats a good looking piece of machinery...Id have it

The plate says it all - GLM-Good Luck mate!!!!!

I've had a sweet spot for the 560SEC for a long time. I've heard some horror stories around fuel consumption and reliability, but it's pretty hard to get away from the classic autobahn-stormer looks.

Mercedes Benz 500SEC AMG

I thought this would be a good discussion starter, for both the ridiculous price and the fact the salesman can't spell to save himself. Something a bit different as well.

Has anyone owned one of these in the past?

One word "BAD-ASS"

I have a 1000SEL. Similar running gear...didn't really use to have a sweet spot for Mercs but this era is amazing!!!

Lets compare price to what people ask for E30 M3's and E24 M6's which are far less rare on our shores... This car has to be hands down more valuable even if not as well known as every recently-moved-to-Remuera kid's unoriginal dream: the M3

Guest Ari Gold

If we're talking rude bwoy Mercs, we need to go black and wide:

W124 500E, the Merc 4.9L V8 330HP tuned by Porsche: http://www.garagecurrent.com/mercedes-benz/eclass/141/

W124 300E with the 3.4L twin cam http://www.garagecurrent.com/amg/ec/132/

The baddest mother f**ker in the valley, the 190E 2.5-16 Evo II http://www.garagecurrent.com/mercedes-benz/190/161/

I've only ever seen one in NZ, and it was at Titirangi Golf Course on Christmas Day - my old man and I played 18 holes in the morning before heading to family crimbo. I was gobsmacked when we went back to the car and this thing that looked like it had just dropped in from outerspace was sitting in the car park. I was 16 at the time and this was back in 2000, so no cell pics sorry (bad etiquette on a golf couse you see).

THE HAMMER: If you don't know, acquaint yourself. http://www.garagecurrent.com/amg/ec/216/ The hammer was the first hot AMG. Came in both 4dr and even rarer 2dr versions, and blew the doors off anything those posers at Stuttgart had to offer at the time. Recipe was simple: take 300E, add V8, bore to 6L, go and chase supercars.

As with the BMW M5, AMG started with a midsize car, the $39,000 Mercedes-Benz 300E. For $17,000, AMG would transplant the 5.6-liter M117 V8 of the Mercedes 560 SEC under the hood of the E-Class and then bolt on DOHC cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder, stretching the performance envelope from 177 horsepower to 355 hp.

For a further $39,950, AMG would bore out the engine to 6.0 liters and blueprint it, then match it up with a revalved four-speed transmission, a Torsen limited-slip in the largest available rear differential, and a stouter rear subframe to withstand the twist, not to mention a full kit of exterior and interior trim pieces. Once you emptied your pockets of your last $14,170, you'd get the lower AMG suspension with more aggressive damping, and 17-inch wheels with 215/45VR17 front and 235/45VR17 rear Pirelli P700 tires. Then you'd need another $18,000 to bolt it all together. AMG stationery quotes a top speed for the Hammer of 190 mph. Actually, it says 'over' 190 mph. As near as we can figure, the AMG Hammer would cost you $161,422.

I have been told that this has had a pretty bad crash, pretty sure it's the same one.

Be okay to drive/own if you have a pound of coke in the glovebox.

Personally I have never been a fan of Mercs, but that 500SEC is the one shape and style of Merc that I quite like. Never seen one with a "widebody" kit on it, even that one of the Prince of Monaco doesn't have the wide kit from what I can see in the photos.

Price does seem a little steep, yes it is rare, but how much of a market is there for these? E30 M3s are more expensive for a reason - there are more of them, but they are very, very sought after.

As for that 190E 2.5-16, I know all the history, I know it's a DTM homologation special but I just hate them - they look so plasticky with all the add on bits, boy racer Honda + a kit type material. Plus the base 190E was such an awful, boring old man's car.

Actually i do own one. Fantastic piece of engineering.

You really are a Smart A**.

Why don't you try not putting others down, stop baiting people and keep your mouth shut Ari or what ever your name is.....

Here is the link Mercedes 1000SEL LINK

Here is some more info for you: http://www.1000sel.com/index.php?option=co...=9&Itemid=8

I guess there is truth in that 1000SEL is not an official Mercedes model but a badge developed by the various coach builders out there.

Personally I am a big fan of 1980's over the top bling and that website is full of it. :blink: