Sign in to follow this  
slasH

Abs unit repair

Hi guys, few weeks ago my dsc light came on intermittently and that eventually lead to the abs light coming on and then leading to limp mode (trans fail safe)

As I suspected I got this confirmed with bm workshop to be a faulty abs/dsc unit, due to the hefty replacement costs im looking to get this repaired if possible (as i saw this is possible through some research)

I searched on these forums for similar problems but the last one i saw was way back in 2008 lol.

Is there anyone still around that repair these units?

If so can you please let me know of their contact details

Thanks in advance

:)

Can help with a replacement.

regards Ray

Can help with a replacement.

regards Ray

ABS engineering in Tauranga.

$200 for the last DSC unit i sent them.

Rebuilt.

Not worth buying 2nd hand as the fault occurs all to often and you will be doing the same repair in 6-18 months.

thanks got the unit back repaired. there is some instructions

disconnect battery before install and check pump earth before reconnection

how do i check the pump earth? its a fully enclosed unit :S?

thanks got the unit back repaired. there is some instructions

disconnect battery before install and check pump earth before reconnection

how do i check the pump earth? its a fully enclosed unit :S?

Use a Multi-Meter and check at the plug (Ohm's test). There is two wires that are noticeably larger than the others.

One is a positive feed..the other is the earth.

*May pay to probe the plug with a sewing pin...not the Multimeter probe as it may damage the female terminal int hte plug*

Edited by Winckel

ok im guessing its the external plug since u said the "multometer prob may damage" thanks!

awesome all fitted and abs/dsc lights gone, will test drive it soon and hope for the best :D. Thanks for all the help!

but ever since i picked it up after i gave it to the workshop for testing i noticed that the top row of leds on my stereo had disappeared (thought it was due to abs unit) but now that hasn't come back.

il have to look into it, any ideas?

Hey guys.. thought i should use this same thread.

The fault appeared again! 3 years later..

last time cost me $220,

sent it off to anything electronic again

this time iv been told

in 2012 the repair carried out was for a minor problem, it has now developed a more major problem in two different areas requiring extensive repair costing $365.

just wondering if there updated Bosch units where this issue has been fixed for good? or is it going to be a $300 or so repair every 2/3 years?

Whent he exchange rate was better, I got a brand new unit for NZ$480? or $580? from mafshop.de

is the brand new unit also going to have similar problems, or have these issues been fixed for good? I might consider this option if that is the case.

Whent he exchange rate was better, I got a brand new unit for NZ$480? or $580? from mafshop.de

ouch, $700nzd for a new unit..

https://www.maf-shop.com/en/abs-control-unit

Edited by slasH

is the brand new unit also going to have similar problems, or have these issues been fixed for good? I might consider this option if that is the case.

Well, our first one lasted 14 years, so the replacement should be roughly as good B)

None of the repairers I spoke with inspired any confidence.

I have no problem with the repairers I use because we communicate and know what can & can't be repaired. Some units can be repaired, some can't. Some have been played with by morons and can't be re done. The repairer also needs correct info on the fault codes so he can confirm the fault is actually in the control unit and not else where.. collectively we work together

Well considering the exchange rate at the minute - that's not bad pricing. Was much cheaper when i got mine a few years back.

There are different circuits that fail in them, some not repairable (as mine was not)

Surely the $380 you have been quoted to fix this one puts $700 into perspective.

I have no problem with the repairers I use because we communicate and know what can & can't be repaired. Some units can be repaired, some can't. Some have been played with by morons and can't be re done. The repairer also needs correct info on the fault codes so he can confirm the fault is actually in the control unit and not else where.. collectively we work together

Word! The units have a habit of lying with their fault codes.

Am also havnt the same delemma at the moment on what to do with mine.

Edited by euroriffic

Had some help from the technician there,

was helpful in my decision to have it repaird, might be helpful for you too.

Just wanted to ask a few questions regarding this unit before proceeding with the repair to try understand the problem

1. I am a bit confused with this module. I could be wrong but when I researched it online the first time and understood that these units are faulty by factory standards and it only emits this problem once, and once its been repaired the problem should not happen again?

The failure of the internal aluminum connection links that can develop with these units is well documented as you have seen. When your ABS controller was here in 2012 the only fault diagnosed was with the main Earth connection. As the other aluminum links showed no sign of degrading is was decided not to replace them hence the lower cost at the time. In the ensuing three years some of the other links have started to fail.

2. Is it the issue of cracked soldering bosch wires in the modules leading to broken connections emitting error codes or something more than that?
Due to the fact that we can see failed aluminum links in your unit I am assuming that this is the cause of the faults you are having with your ABS. These units are also prone to software issues as well that requires re-flashing of the programming, but we are not able to deal with those.

3. whats caused this to happen again.
The failed link fault is caused by vibration/heat stress over a prolonged period.

4. How can I prevent this?

.There is nothing that can prevent this fault other than replacing the links.

5. Is it likely to happen again after this times repair
This particular fault is unlikely to happen again once all the links are replaced, but this does not mean you will not have other faults that may develop with this module

6. Am I better off buying a another unit for cheaper and recode it?

.Are you better off buying another unit? If you buy a second hand unit you may well be buying into the same issue, as for a new one the cost is between $1200 to $2000 unless you are able to purchase ex overseas but then there is risk with that as well.

7. Have Bosch updated these units with this issue fixed for good?

To my understanding Bosch have not updated these units as they are now obsolete and no longer used for later model BMW's.

Edited by slasH