Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

BMW ISTA - ICOM Security Dongle backup- how to

I posted this up on another forum, but thought I would also share it here. Some of you maybe in possession of a working BMW ISSS that includes ISTA/D and ISTA/P. Most of these systems either require a cloned hardware ICOM or a virtual emulator ICOM to work. With the ICOMs these will come with an USB security dongle - basically a USB flash drive - this can be easily damaged or lost. So I set out to find a way to clone the USB security and have wrote up a how to in case anyone needed to make a backup.

As most will know some of the ICOM emulator comes with an USB flash drive dongle as copyright protection. Whilst you can do an image snapshot of the ICOM VM when the emulator is running and just revert back to it without needing the dongle plugged in, there's always that fear in the back of your mind that you might lose that USB Dongle or that it might break., rendering the emulator useless. Especially so if the Vendor that sold you the emulator isn't very helpful at all.

So I spent a little time finding a way to create a clone or duplicate of the dongle - and thought I would share the know how here.

Basically the security is two tier based. The ICOM emulator checks for the "Volume Serial Number" (easily changed with software) and the Hardware Serial number (much harder as it requires flashing the USB chip), both of which must match the security check built into the ICOM emulator before it will start up and do the "rollback".

Here's how you duplicate the USB dongle> I will not provide the software required, just a general knowledge of how to do this - as each USB dongle is different and has a different chip set, YOU WILL NEED to find the correct USB factory flash tool to do the necessary cloning.

Mine was based on the SMI chip set SM3257AA

First use a tool called ChipGenius and note the information in red below:

Posted Image

The serial number shown is the Hardware Serial Number - this is the key component looked at by the ICOM emulator security check. WRITE THIS DOWN as you will need to flash your back up USB flash drive with this exact same serial number.

The Chip Part number is VERY important, as it dictates which factory tool you need to find and download to do the flashing of the Hardware serial number.

Next use an USB Image Tool like below that will duplicate the Volume Serial codes into your backup USB flash drive:

Posted Image

Use Device Mode and create a back up image of the security dongle.

Now plug in your spare USB flash drive and do a restore from the image created:

Posted Image

Next check that the Volume serial code has been replicated between both flash drive:

Posted Image

Now to the harder bit. Use the correct factory flash tool from the correct hardware "chip set manufacturer" and for the correct "chip part number"

Run the software and press F5 to scan the USB.

Posted Image

As you can see in red the Hardware serial number and the IC part number - save this as a copy just in case you screw up - so you can flash the drive back to factory.

Next go to settings: There's usually a passcode to get into the program - this is usually either 123 or 320

Posted Image

This will bring up this next screen: Load the default.ini file

Posted Image

Circled in red are the parts you need to change to match the Hardware Serial in the original USB Dongle.

Posted Image

After the changes:

Posted Image

Click "OK" to go back to the flash screen - Click the Start (Space Key) to start flashing the changes into the back up USB flash drive.

Posted Image

Let the program do its thing and you should get a big [OK] come up to show that the process was successful and complete

Click "Scan USB" again to check that the USB flash drive has indeed been flashed with the new Hardware serial number:

Posted Image

And there you have it - a backup cloned USB Dongle that is exactly like the one you were supplied with.

Some notes:

1. Double check that you have used the correct factory tool to do the flashing - you can render your USB drive completely useless if you don't.

2. Double check the Chip Part number!!! MSI chips are the easiest to work with and the tools more intuitive.

3. Avoid Phison chip sets I've damaged two USB drives trying to burn new hardware serial numbers into them - the factory tools for the Phison chip sets are just harder to crack for some reason.

Good luck.

Edited by M3_Power

Interesting sorry but dated.Why dongle?No need.

Do you have access EMA? do you want?

Should really touch base :blink:

Interesting sorry but dated.Why dongle?No need.

Do you have access EMA? do you want?

Should really touch base :blink:

What on earth is access EMA?? I have never heard of it and none of the popular BMW ecu related forums have anything on it.

I am well aware there is a version of ICOM out there that doesn't require the dongle, but a lot of thr ones been sold are sold with one.

What on earth is access EMA?? I have never heard of it and none of the popular BMW ecu related forums have anything on it.

I am well aware there is a version of ICOM out there that doesn't require the dongle, but a lot of thr ones been sold are sold with one.

Sorry just trying to help

EMA=Expert Mode Access

Sorry just trying to help

EMA=Expert Mode Access

Are you refering to the XP mode introduced in ISTA-P 2.43??

I am trying to understand what you are getting at with your replies?

XP mode is apparently just a simpler menu to prevent inadvertent access to important modules that dumb technicians aren't suppose to mess with- so not really "expert" as such.

Are you refering to the XP mode introduced in ISTA-P 2.43??

I am trying to understand what you are getting at with your replies?

XP mode is apparently just a simpler menu to prevent inadvertent access to important modules that dumb technicians aren't suppose to mess with- so not really "expert" as such.

I think what I am trying to say is the dongle and your posted work around is fine,but why go there if you dont have to.

Hopefully no one is using out dated software and on a vm based copy system.

I would hate to see a $80k plus vehicle go tits up.

I would not try any prog/coding on vm ware at all.

Just saying!

Great post though

I think what I am trying to say is the dongle and your posted work around is fine,but why go there if you dont have to.

Hopefully no one is using out dated software and on a vm based copy system.

I would hate to see a $80k plus vehicle go tits up.

I would not try any prog/coding on vm ware at all.

Just saying!

Great post though

Maybe because I don't have a Dongle free version of the ICOM??

There are pros and cons between a native installed system and a vmware system - most of the time the issues arising with the vmware stuff is more often than not related to setup and user understanding of vmware - I've personally never had an issue at all and I've been using it for a while.

If I am honest, anyone that uses the USB port to do coding and program is a bit crazy - it can be done without issue, but it can also go very wrong very quickly.

If one is limited to only doing diagnostics and occasional system resets the vmware stuff is actually better - to name a few - ability to take snapshots, ability to reset if the system hangs, ability to run emulators, ease of adaptability with various cables ect ect.

Wait till you have to update the firmware on the ICOM and it doesn't go to plan, there goes your thousand dollar system - happens all the time.

Personally I don't do any coding, way too risky over an OBD2 cable, serial port or USB.

Edited by M3_Power

There are pros and cons between a native installed system and a vmware system - most of the time the issues arising with the vmware stuff is more often than not related to setup and user understanding of vmware - I've personally never had an issue at all and I've been using it for a while.

If I am honest, anyone that uses the USB port to do coding and program is a bit crazy - it can be done without issue, but it can also go very wrong very quickly.

If one is limited to only doing diagnostics and occasional system resets the vmware stuff is actually better - to name a few - ability to take snapshots, ability to reset if the system hangs, ability to run emulators, ease of adaptability with various cables ect ect.

Wait till you have to update the firmware on the BMW ICOM and it doesn't go to plan, there goes your thousand dollar system - happens all the time.