Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

15 minutes ago, Funkyflynz said:

Cool, are they doing a custom tune or is it just to check fault codes and program them out?  

I'd planned to just disable the o2 sensors before & after the cats mate - not sure whether there's much to be gained from this motor tbh. That said, as it's booked in anyway and there is no codes, we'll see what happens..!

I wonder about the value of tunes as well, but there seems to be a consistent flow of positive feedback from those that get tunes.  HellBM have a $400 tune for the community that apparently nets a few more HP's.   But from what I have read the best mod is to put in 4.10 gears.  Really keen to see how you get on.

3 hours ago, CSET said:

I'd planned to just disable the o2 sensors before & after the cats mate - not sure whether there's much to be gained from this motor tbh. That said, as it's booked in anyway and there is no codes, we'll see what happens..!

Pre are used for fuel trim so not a good idea to remove/disable 

Plenty of HP left out of the stock tune.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HaNs said:

Pre are used for fuel trim so not a good idea to remove/disable 

Plenty of HP left out of the stock tune.

Hey Hans, as i read it manufacturers will tune an engine to run much richer than required for optimal performance, this is so its safe and meets emissions, for cats to work they require a fairly rich mixture.  Thus removing cats and leaning out the mixture will net gains for most modern engines correct?  Be interested to hear your experience on this.

Not wanting to hijack CSET's thread, but would you recommend an off the shelf after market tune?  or is a custom tune the only way to go?

Edited by Funkyflynz

5 hours ago, Funkyflynz said:

Hey Hans, as i read it manufacturers will tune an engine to run much richer than required for optimal performance, this is so its safe and meets emissions, for cats to work they require a fairly rich mixture.  Thus removing cats and leaning out the mixture will net gains for most modern engines correct?  Be interested to hear your experience on this.

Not wanting to hijack CSET's thread, but would you recommend an off the shelf after market tune?  or is a custom tune the only way to go?

Id suggest to go read about Stoich and air fuel ratios. Have a look at what AFR makes the most torque and what is best fuel economy. Also lowest emissions.

Cats are an after treatment and AFR should really be measured before them. 

Off the shelf is ok. Custom is better. 

On 6/4/2017 at 8:14 AM, CSET said:

Welp seemed I was wrong! There was apparently a flat spot from 2 - 3,500rpm, and it had thrown a code having the cats removed (despite no CEL yet). NZPT have addressed both of these things and had a play with some other bits and bobs that I won't even try and understand. I've yet to drive the car past moving it back & forth, but according them it's a fair bit better at low rpm. They're quietly confident they've gained a little power & torque from it too, but it won't be a huge amount. Looking forward to when I can get a chance to drive it! 

20 minutes ago, CSET said:

Welp seemed I was wrong! There was apparently a flat spot from 2 - 3,500rpm, and it had thrown a code having the cats removed (despite no CEL yet). NZPT have addressed both of these things and had a play with some other bits and bobs that I won't even try and understand. I've yet to drive the car past moving it back & forth, but according them it's a fair bit better at low rpm. They're quietly confident they've gained a little power & torque from it too, but it won't be a huge amount. Looking forward to when I can get a chance to drive it! 

I would assume if its been tuned they should be able to show you a printout of the HP and Torque curves before and after, surely they don't tune it based on their "bum dyne" do they?

Had a good little home project tonight, retro-fit an M Performance shifter & boot to my e46. The brackets from the M2 are quite different to the e46, so it took some fiddling but I got there in the end. Here's a pic & a vid (I have a BMW Performance short shift kit installed now too). 

35293483262_e8517a9f63_b.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 2

New project underway! I'm having a diffuser setup for the underbody designed, starting at the rear. I pulled the bumper this morning - it was pretty dusty under there. I suppose 100km of gravel on the last rally had it's downsides...! I hope to have a mock up designed over the next couple of weeks, then manufacture & fitting before we start on the front. Good fun!

34685661273_906339de23_b.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

35109140830_ae1e190875_b.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 1

Been pretty quiet on this build for a while, ran a bearing back in June so it's been up with Kayne Barrie for a rebuild. Couple of shots while the master was at his work:

36484703931_dc1842c2ce_b.jpg20884884_1507597005930171_650205220_n by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

36453597682_cb94c63418_h.jpg20904324_1507597182596820_1871693703_o by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

36897602610_b2b1baef7e_h.jpg21684668_1535529916470213_553786645_o by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

37122573932_3f9b7ac147_h.jpg21845349_1535529956470209_768997783_o by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

New crank, gaskets, bearings etc.

36557145762_3693772f6a_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

36726841975_b2e2b98d70_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Kayne replaced the clutch and got the guys at Autospeed Engineering in Pukekohe to recondition the head:

36453597342_ff5534ab65_b.jpg20891530_1507597055930166_44621757_n by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Back now, and looking pretty good sitting in decent company..!

37316859486_cd40bab789_k.jpgIMG_3720 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 6

Does it feel any different after the freshen up?  

56 minutes ago, Funkyflynz said:

Does it feel any different after the freshen up?  

It's definitely quieter, no rattle on cold start (Kayne refreshed Vanos too) and generally runs a lot smoother. It does seem to pull a bit harder, tho that might be due to dailying a Kia for the past few months (anything would seem fast in comparison..!)

• Like 1

Kayne is the man.

Why did you replace the crank? Was your old one stuffed?

22 minutes ago, zero said:

Kayne is the man.

Why did you replace the crank? Was your old one stuffed?

Yep, must have been bad for a while

Yikes, a new crank would have cost a small fortune.

Good job Christian, not exactly something you plan to fork out for, but at least it future proofs the engine for another 10 years+ and helps with resale value, if you part with it at some stage. 

Now to take it for some good open road drives! 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 7:44 PM, Michael. said:

Now to take it for some good open road drives! 

First decent drive over the weekend, drove to Napier and back! Everything went well. Did some mild maintenance once we got there. Replaced battery (it's been a bit rubbish for a while), cleaned wheel speed sensors after they threw faults & fixed reversing sensors. Took a boot full of junk down, which ended up coming in quite handy.

37636801230_6d454600a2_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr]

37174054203_9737819505_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

37636809830_175d5a0efb_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Engine is running very nicely, tonnes of torque in the low & mid range and the fuel efficiency is heaps better. 650kms from a tank...! Best I had in the past is mid-500's. Chuffed. 

Edit: shot of it back together shortly afterwards. It's dirty, but it's not that bad given it drove to Napier and I didn't wash it down there..! If that doesn't convince you on ceramic coatings, I don't know what will haha

37184475784_d186f200ad_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Edited by CSET
  • Like 2

Nice one, what do you put the additional power and economy down to?

17 hours ago, Funkyflynz said:

Nice one, what do you put the additional power and economy down to?

Probably a mix of the work done and the comparison with daily driving a Kia 4wd slug for a few months. 

• Like 1

Had the windows tinted on Wednesday by Autotintz with a dark layer under the Infinity OP 35% metallic film - hadn't seen this done before so was a bit of a gamble, but result is pretty good.

38202838096_0bbeb5349d_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

26481229899_f2e0cda1ec_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

38225699532_7a9230f800_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Swapped wheels & bootlid last night in prep for summer - back on with the CSL 19's and carbon ducktail lid. 

37566010264_7d6fcddf2c_k.jpgMTOYPark by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

26501282729_958677a030_k.jpgMTOYPar2 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

37566056854_fb9ffb2bd6_k.jpgMTOYPark3 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 2

Luv the car without the wing Christian. Saw it, and heard it out at Villa Maria a couple of weeks ago :thumbs-up:

Edited by *rUstY_nUts*
  • Like 1

That tint looks real nice. 

I need tints, after I had to rip off my 11% tint that my car came with (from Japan) when it failed a WOF :(

Would you recommend that kind of metallic tint? How is it with phone/GPS signals? I like the reflective look and I would like my (black with black interior) car not to be like an oven after being parked outside in summer :)

And your M3 will have frameless windows on the front as well, does the tint still look ok on that at the edges? Not worried it'll peel off? 

Edited by Matth5

13 hours ago, Matth5 said:

That tint looks real nice. 

I need tints, after I had to rip off my 11% tint that my car came with (from Japan) when it failed a WOF :(

Would you recommend that kind of metallic tint? How is it with phone/GPS signals? I like the reflective look and I would like my (black with black interior) car not to be like an oven after being parked outside in summer :)

And your M3 will have frameless windows on the front as well, does the tint still look ok on that at the edges? Not worried it'll peel off? 

Hi mate, I ran 35% Infinity OP for a year or so (check pics previous few pages) - that was legal and looked good imo. Can't remember turning the radio on in that time so I'm not able to comment on reception. Phone and GPS seemed to be ok. No lifting on edges that I could see, only reason I added to it was that I want it darker/ less see-through.

95%+ heat rejection will be gained from most films regardless of the opacity by the way, so 'darkness' doesn't necessarily equal more heat rejection. Suntek have a good website which explains this. 

• Like 1