Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

23 hours ago, Michael. said:

Yay shinny stock muffler :P 

indeed, that's certainly cleanliness beyond the call of duty!

• Like 1

OEM muffler swapped on, the tips are so teeny. It's a fair bit quieter, but still really raspy. Can finally hear the intake tho. Going to work on center section later in the week after Anzac day. 

41637009341_5dcd46b18e_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

26769178077_8dda71b4f4_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Compared to Supersprint:

26769177987_701ea24849_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

39802498920_30f2a3469b_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 2

Looks awesome. 

No more wing or will that return when you get bored?

By the way the stock M3 exhaust is actually an impressive efficient system, it often gets a bit of slack for the tinny noise but for the interior it produces a good resonance and allows you to enjoy the glorious intake which is one of the best characteristic of the S54 engine. 

See extensive PDF from an engineering standpoint of the factory exhaust, one of my favorite M3 reads! 

BMW_M3_Exhaust_System.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Michael. said:

Looks awesome. 

No more wing or will that return when you get bored?

By the way the stock M3 exhaust is actually an impressive efficient system, it often gets a bit of slack for the tinny noise but for the interior it produces a good resonance and allows you to enjoy the glorious intake which is one of the best characteristic of the S54 engine. 

See extensive PDF from an engineering standpoint of the factory exhaust, one of my favorite M3 reads! 

BMW_M3_Exhaust_System.pdf

Thank you mate that was an interesting read! 

Not sure about spare bootlid, but as it's such an easy bolt on-off I can change my mind and have it all swapped over in an hour or so. 

• Like 1

Fun fact: who knew there are two different sized center sliding trays for the e46..? I bought the cup holders and coin tray a while back, then the longer slider as a replacement option recently

39873112080_8b98b7176c_b.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Here’s the longer slider installed (standard seats and ZCP weighed gearknob back in now too):

39873116830_016ecb4de3_b.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

I am keeping the armrest-less console and carbon interior trim as it looks good and is a pain in the ass to change around the door handles. Same with the alcantara hand brake handle. I also picked up a couple of OEM air filters for when I swap K&N 57-series intake back to the standard airbox.

Edited by CSET
  • Like 2

I think I’ve answered my own question, pretty sure this console is for the phone kit. Awww yeah, early 2000’s car phone come at me. 

Off to get the cats re-installed today. Exhaust will then be 100% stock, for the first time since new from the sounds of things. 

I’m actually really enjoying the changes, for the moment at least. 

Edit: actually it may not be a phone console. The plot thickens..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0cuJwUJPhw-ka8lzTzNf

Edited by CSET
  • Haha 1

Cats are in and rasp is gone. It's so damn quiet, can barely hear exhaust. But intake ... oh my. The intake. This is a good sounding motor.

I also go these in today's courier, final piece of the OEM puzzle ..! 

26923941677_071581052f_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 4

Mmmm intake noises! 

It would feel like a different car.

Should be able to see it glisten down the road with that grille :D 

• Haha 1

Anyone know the paint code for the OEM CSL wheels, by chance...? I've been matching by eye, pain in the ass mixing each batch slightly differently. Looks WAY off in the photo, but this is the closest actual match on the wheel I have done. 

40997960325_6e98e735a2_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

40998005805_7d9a098d99_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

^^ before sanding flat & polishing of course. 

Polished up my Supersprint mufflers after a few years of use, pretty good result..!

28096854598_794a557a58_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

41967934021_41cd5ecf75_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

28096854538_3a77d5f6b5_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

41923757702_9189f6e552_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

41923757752_e848fc7823_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

41967933801_595cca51cf_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

41967933841_d0a4472e11_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 3

Christian, what products and methods did you use to clean the muffler?

It looks great.

21 minutes ago, zero said:

Christian, what products and methods did you use to clean the muffler?

It looks great.

Cheers man, super easy if you have the tools. Metal compound (I used Truckers Pride liquid heavy cut) with steel wool then machine cut with heavy compound and pad on a DA machine (I used Rupes Bigfoot, coarse pad and HC400 but others will get same result). It's not perfect, but pretty good for an hours' work. A refine polish will make it much better, but tbh I'm only doing this for my own benefit. 

If you're stuck for products, we stock most of this stuff at www.unitedcarcare.co.nz (shameless self plug).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

What are you going to do with the super sprint? 

Keep with all my other spares for the meantime mate. It’ll go back on the car in the future no doubt. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 1:59 PM, CSET said:

Anyone know the paint code for the OEM CSL wheels, by chance...? 

I Have a litre of the actual paint for this wheel ... it’s $700+ per litre. So my recommendation is to just mix it yourself as it’s quite a special paint.

1 minute ago, M3_Power said:

I Have a litre of the actual paint for this wheel ... it’s $700+ per litre. So my recommendation is to just mix it yourself as it’s quite a special paint.

Only you would Tom! ?

1 minute ago, M3_Power said:

I suspect that's why he needs the paint code... :)

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

I suspect that's why he needs the paint code... :)

It’s not a coded paint otherwise I’d give it to him.

Also it has a dark coloured undercoat which I don’t actually have. But you can get away with spraying just the colour.

Edited by M3_Power

It will have a code, even if it's not on the container.

Can you establish from the label who made it for BMW?

maybe I should clarify, the code doesn’t appear to have a cross reference to another generic colour code from other paint suppliers. It also doesn’t have a published formula.

anyways, the actual colour is discussed here in this thread in detail in Greek, it was confirmed by people in Munich that worked on the CSL originally - it is not WA55 or A55 as many seem to think (supposedly BBS source)

The original paint is Italian made by Lechler as discussed by Alexk in this thread below

http://www.bmwfans.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=15847

there is also apparently a good match from ppg for this colour which was used for the MV Augusta Wheel which is 

PPG 35204189

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, M3_Power said:

maybe I should clarify, the code doesn’t appear to have a cross reference to another generic colour code from other paint suppliers. It also doesn’t have a published formula.

anyways, the actual colour is discussed here in this thread in detail in Greek, it was confirmed by people in Munich that worked on the CSL originally - it is not WA55 or A55 as many seem to think (supposedly BBS source)

The original paint is Italian made by Lechler as discussed by Alexk in this thread below

http://www.bmwfans.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=15847

there is also apparently a good match from ppg for this colour which was used for the MV Augusta Wheel which is 

PPG 35204189

Thanks Tom, you're right $700+ for a couple of stone chips is ridiculous. 

That site makes mention of code 144 (Felgensilber Metallic) which seems to be a more generic BMW wheel silver, I'll try that in the meantime. 144 includes some purple and blue (albeit very minor quantities), interesting! Will post up what it looks like. 

2 hours ago, CSET said:

Thanks Tom, you're right $700+ for a couple of stone chips is ridiculous. 

That site makes mention of code 144 (Felgensilber Metallic) which seems to be a more generic BMW wheel silver, I'll try that in the meantime. 144 includes some purple and blue (albeit very minor quantities), interesting! Will post up what it looks like. 

I’ve never tried 144, but other guys have tried WA55 and A55 with slight modifications with good results.

The original original colour for the csl wheels that came with the car is the one AlexK mentioned (as many UK csl can attest to), there is speculation that later production wheels from BBS were painted with A55 or a variation of it. I actually should try and confirm this as I have a set of never used later production csl rims (2015) that from memory did look slightly different to the original set in terms of colour.

I can go on about these wheels but suffice to say there’s a few variations of them out there from BMW and BBS independently.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Just now, M3_Power said:

I’ve never tried 144, but other guys have tried WA55 and A55 with slight modifications with good results.

The original original colour for the csl wheels that came with the car is the one AlexK mentioned, there is speculation later production wheels from BBS were painted with A55 or a variation of it. I actually should try and confirm this as I have a set of later production csl rims (2015) that from memory did look slightly different to the original set in terms of colour.

I can go on about these wheels but suffice to say there’s a few variations of them out there from BMW and BBS independently.

The variations in paint between years may explain why BMW are so closed about the colour.. I’d be keen to see them in comparison, mine are definitely older (2013).

15 minutes ago, CSET said:

The variations in paint between years may explain why BMW are so closed about the colour.. I’d be keen to see them in comparison, mine are definitely older (2013).

I blame EU for putting the environment above colour consistency for paint : P

i think if you look up A08, silver grey there’s something like 12 different variants for it from Glasurit, all in the name of environment : )

• Like 1