Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

^^ thanks again mate, I've filled out the forms & will be sending them off with a cd (I know right) of photos next week. Fitted base of rear seat back in tonight & the other race seat to check everything fits, looks good!

43522731021_baaced12a1_b.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

In the meantime I've found a guy who will make me a custom steering wheel without core transfer, so I've designed one up I'd like and sent it through tonight. Better yet, it's made from an OEM wheel so it'll fit perfectly and take the standard airbag! I've ordered one similar to this, but with black alcantara on the top & bottom portions of the wheel & a grey center stripe. 

43473532152_521ea78bae_z.jpg22c348801f0a4a9398614724413cd749 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Here's my super-technical drawing:

41712449410_f239a13770_b.jpgE46 Wheel by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Will see what it's like when it arrives and post results! 

• Like 2

Harnesses mounts in!

29773575328_c39e008492_c.jpg37767215_10155751680601375_7252271047750189056_n by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

28758681767_76ef26662f_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Waiting on hearing back regards homologation & log book then I'll go ahead with cage paint, rear interior panels and authority card. It's been quite a process..! 

I spent a bit of time on the rear wing last week, removed decals and polished the bare carbon underside. I'll fit it up over the next few days. 

43554875352_df1967bc30_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

42697834655_d1fcc3a5b1_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

41794195500_27a0a61257_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Looks so much better, cleaner. 

What does everyone rate as the best gearknob? 

I have a weighted ZHP on there currently, which is ok but not super-ergonomic - and I'm in the middle of replacing all the leather with carbon fiber or alcantara so it looks a bit out of place. I also have a carbon/alcantara M2 shifter, which looks the part but it doesn't feel good at all (way to small for my hammy fist). 

Has anyone had any experience with any of these, and if so, opinions? I'm not too worried if it's a bit taller, as I have a shortened 330d/m performance shift lever in there. 

1. Rogue Engineering Delrin

del_zhp.jpg

2.) TWM Performance "A6"

A6-Leopard-Gunmetal-Finish-Shift-Knob-by

3.) Black Forest Industries billet

789388_x600.jpg 

OK scratch all that I've bought a Storm one. Will post results. 

Just now, qube said:

well that was quick.. a whole 16 minutes

No use mucking around ?

• Haha 1

The Storm one is a beast. The weight is crazy.

I'm staying OEM, so waiting for a new ZHP to arrive...

• Thanks 1

Steering wheel has been made to my spec, check it out. 

29897836978_9b3d7941c6_b.jpg43052077644_b3f132023d_b.jpg43768349121_6b2a2d2c4d_b.jpg43768349261_1f52e11d62_b.jpg

Looks good! Will take some more pics when it’s here and I have put it on. 

• Like 5

Personally would have preferred a full alcantara wheel as im not a fan of the perforated leather but the job itself looks top!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, qube said:

Personally would have preferred a full alcantara wheel as im not a fan of the perforated leather but the job itself looks top!

Sure looks like they did a good job!

Yeah I'm a bit off-put by full alcantara as the wear points don't take long to look rubbish, and the upkeep is pretty intensive (this from a fair amount of experience..!). It was quite a dilemma because I wanted alcantara on the wheel to suit the rest of the interior (and what's going to happen soon) but leather is much, much easier to maintain...! 

Hence I had to get it custom made - I couldn't find anywhere that'd do exactly what I wanted off the shelf. Let's see what it looks like when it arrives!

I've seen heavily worn alcantara wheels, but I've had mine for 2-3 years and it's still mint. (I am careful though to have clean hands though). 

You seem to have flirted with going back to OEM/stock, and then swung back full street racer?

On 7/20/2018 at 7:56 PM, CSET said:

In the meantime I've found a guy who will make me a custom steering wheel without core transfer...

The final result looks very good, can you provide contact details?

41 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The final result looks very good, can you provide contact details?

Yep I ordered it through AZA Auto in the Ukrane - search them on Instagram bro they do some crazy good stuff. My carbon fiber guy is over there too a bit further south in Bulgaria (found his workshop on google maps before I bought my first lot). Heaps of epic trim places in Europe

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, m325i said:

You seem to have flirted with going back to OEM/stock, and then swung back full street racer?

Yeah, a week or two stock was enough to remind me what I prefer at this age & stage ?

• Like 2

Got the okay from Motorsport NZ that I can go ahead with roll cage paint! It'll take a couple of weeks to get the paperwork back, but sounds like we're ok for homologation and logbook..! 

In the meantime I bought an extinguisher bracket from KAP Industries in Australia. It arrived today so I fitted it up with my single-strap extinguisher (I'll need a new one with 2 straps for motorsport). Fits nice and snug, and being black it's kinda subtle which I like. 

42973766555_d999dd1e86_k.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Wheel is still on it's way from the Ukraine, and I'm expecting the Storm gearknob to be here shortly too. I also bought some more safety stuff today, some proper clamps to go around the harness bar and stop the harnesses moving, and some nomex gear. 

• Like 2

Got the car back from the painters today. I went with sterling grey to match the shell, looks good! Once it's fully dry I'll reinstall the interior side panels, seat base and carpet, then get the retrimmers on the case for any bits I can't do. This is going to look factory once it's finished :)

44041220521_cd3e6db129_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

2 hours ago, CSET said:

Got the car back from the painters today. I went with sterling grey to match the shell, looks good! Once it's fully dry I'll reinstall the interior side panels, seat base and carpet, then get the retrimmers on the case for any bits I can't do. This is going to look factory once it's finished :)

44041220521_cd3e6db129_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Saw this today when picking the E60 up. That grey is pretty fantastic. What's the paint code?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, francoisv said:

Saw this today when picking the E60 up. That grey is pretty fantastic. What's the paint code?

Thank you for your custom! 472 Sterling Grey Metallic. Looks nice in the sun, pretty tough to mix touch up for tho. Grant and Ben at GT Refinishers did a great job paint matching the cage tho! 

Just now, CSET said:

Thank you for your custom! 472 Sterling Grey Metallic. Looks nice in the sun, pretty tough to mix touch up for tho. Grant and Ben at GT Refinishers did a great job paint matching the cage tho! 

You're the 3rd person to have to tell me about GT Refinishers. I may have to go see them tomorrow. But yes, cage and overall car looks great in that colour.

My flat bottomed wheel arrived today, looks good! Quality is tops

42269330500_8ac59133b4_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

42269330700_ae7af77783_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

30210230038_d937fc532c_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

30210229968_481c74a956_c.jpgUntitled by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

They even included the top button trim piece. This is awesome because I now have a spare: my carbon fiber guy in Bulgaria requires this part sent so this could be on the cards next..! 

IMG_0726-1024x683.jpg

• Like 1