Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

I'm a little late to the party with this tune, but finally got around to it. Added shift lights, removed speed cut and selected the most aggressive 'pop & crackle' option as I wish to retain my cats for WOF (or what's left of them). Can confirm that Supersprint exhaust + this tune is something else indeed...! There seems to be a fair bit more you can do with this software, but it's of little interest to me/it sounds pretty risky raising redlines etc. 

2vmWbg0.jpg

Followed this guy's guide, using BMW flash and ECU worx software:

• Like 2

"I wish to retain my cats for WOF"

You don't need cats to pass a WOF, they are not a requirement here :)

Edit: I'm wrong here, see below...

Edited by Matth5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Oh great, I heard otherwise; that if they are factory fitted then removing them will fail WOF! Goes to show one shouldn’t believe what ones told, thanks mate! 

4 hours ago, Matth5 said:

You do need them for a WOF if they came from factory with one, been like that for a long time

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-emissions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They do not read codes or perform an emissions test, and a check-engine light is not a WOF item.

So while it may be a requirement in writing, it is not checked and you will not fail a WOF. 

I've passed my last two WOFs with catless downpipes, and a check-engine light.

Just because you pass a WOF without them doesn't mean that the OP will.

I can guarantee that it is checked but not every inspector is going to know the location of the cats in every vehicle so it can be something over looked. If they have any doubts then they can fail you 

• Like 1

Hmm well I even asked the last WOF place if it would be an issue and they said no, I didn't hide it. Well I don't doubt you, guess I was wrong, but I think more places will pass it than not. You can always ask them beforehand if it'll be an issue, and go elsewhere if it is. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t worry about failing a WOF due to being catless - I’ve never had an issue on multiple cars over the past 10 years or so ??

I've never taken my cat to a testing station, passed every time.

• Like 1

Reasons for WOF failure from NZTA website

A vehicle (other than group L vehicle or a class MA or MC motorsport vehicle with a valid motorsport authority card) that was first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 May 2010 and manufactured from 1 January 1990 has a catalytic converter removed where there is evidence that one was originally fitted, and there is no written evidence issued by an entry certifier that the vehicle passed a prescribed metered emissions test in this condition

Edited by andrewm

Edited my original post so it doesn't mislead anyone. So it is legally a WOF fail, but you probably wont have much trouble getting a WOF regardless...

Some minor updates. Removed & replaced side glass tint (front & rear) with super light & legal 50%, poor tinter had to work around the rollcage. Got a bit sick of the gangster dark tints, they're great for privacy but you simply can't see outside at night (which is when this car gets driven mostly). I need to finish off one side window and remove the rear windscreen to re-tint, too hard basket for now. 

4UXbCCS.jpg

Old quarter glass:

aMBJP7g.jpg

New quarter glass:

y4kkf4s.jpg

End result, still looks classy but not super dark. Also painted front splitter again. 

gS8QKvk.jpg

Finally got around to getting some proper wing mounts designed & made, some renderings from the designer below. The hollow parts will face inboard, should look quite good. 

speNZsf.jpg

GXZbhXP.jpg

XOF4ShQ.jpg

You guys might be interested to see, I'm getting some new wing struts made from 6061 aircraft grade aluminum

PHPYth1.jpg

KXqui61.jpg

• Like 2

Pro tip: if you're planning on removing tint, do it before you weld in a rollcage ?

This is a job I've been putting off for a LONG while.

YqUJoi1.jpg

rtAGL2j.jpg

L7SHMdU.jpg

h4sgfZM.jpg

xRU5aX7.jpg

Does the Steam help with safe removal from rear window, without dmamging the de-mister filaments ? 

40 minutes ago, hunter said:

Does the Steam help with safe removal from rear window, without dmamging the de-mister filaments ? 

Yep. Leaves much less residue over. Downsides are it can lift fabrics (as it loosens glue). 

Steamer, plastic blades and prepsol made this job much easier than it should have been. 

• Like 2

How hard / risky was it?

I want to remove my tint, but its like 15+ years old and I'm scared of damaging the demister. I'd pay someone to do it, but scared they might too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m325i said:

How hard / risky was it?

I want to remove my tint, but its like 15+ years old and I'm scared of damaging the demister. I'd pay someone to do it, but scared they might too.

It's not hard but if you haven't done before definitely see a pro. If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd say Seth at Tint Lab (used to be Car Folie). He has extensive experience in this - I know, because he did my rear screen a few times way back when. If you want to get a hold of him, www.tintlab.co.nz or just come and see me (his new shop is at OCD). 

• Thanks 1

New wing struts ready to go, need to (finally) fit up the GTR vents and new bonnet & bumper. Dusted this car off after a lockdown under cover, drove it in to work & planning next steps for the build. With the rebuilt engine, new diff & drivetrain parts now installed this car 'should' handle a little more power. 

K9ESQST.jpg

sYCXJnD.jpg

• Like 2

Progress..! I've swapped over the bootlid to the OEM facelift one & disassembled the spoiler in prep for GT Refinishers to mount up my new struts. 

5UjDE42.jpg

mTvmdrn.jpg

Also ordered a new rear diffuser from Fancywide in Russia. 

e46-m3-sideskirt-splitter-4-e15567775339

DSC05067.jpg

Also had the glass tinted in super-light 50% film to help protect the interior trim by Seth at Tint Lab. This is well within legal limits (being much lighter than 35%), and looks quite classy whilst not sacrificing heat rejection or UV protection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m325i said:

More pics of the tint? 

Here you go, I'll take some side-ons in different light next time I take it out. 

ZO0cd0U.jpg
ji6o0O2.jpg
7VrSGoh.jpg

• Like 3

These wheels are now off to the professionals to repair and repaint properly...! The plastidip has lasted a couple of years, but they're pretty tatty. Working on the colour at the moment. 

cbiEACd.jpg

• Like 1