Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

On 20/09/2016 at 8:53 PM, CSET said:

Pretty keen to try a set of NT-05's given how I use this car (and how few km's I got out of the INVO's I might as well!). Always keen on suggestions?

I was going to go for NT-05s but then found a good deal on Hankook RS3s so I grabbed that set. Can't comment on performance though as I haven't been to a track with this set. Supposed to be good though :)

• Like 1

Sweet have ordered some new parts from BMW!

OEM CSL front brake rotors (345cm instead of 325 stock).
CSL carriers for bigger front rotors
OEM CSL rear rotors
Edit: I'm already running OEM CSL textar pads, which have heaps of life left in them. 

Aftermarket stuff I've also ordered (it's not all OEM, but then again neither is the aero):
Goodridge braided lines
Decent Motul brake fluid

I didn't order the rear calipers (with the slightly larger piston) in the end. They were really expensive, and tbh I doubt I'm a good enough driver to notice the minute change in bias. 

Next up: new 18in tyres, then maybe replace shocks. I've also requested prices for CSL front and rear swaybars (both are uprated over original M3 ones 30.8mm and 22.5mm respectively).

869134_x600.jpg

Edited by CSET
  • Like 1

Where did you order the parts from?

10 minutes ago, zero said:

Where did you order the parts from?

BMW for the csl bits. I found the image online.

Holy crap that would have cost you a packet.

Why did you not buy from schneidman or fcp or similar?

On 10/2/2016 at 10:39 AM, CSET said:

OEM CSL rear rotors
Edit: I'm already running OEM CSL textar pads, which have heaps of life left in them.  

No such things ... rear rotors are identical to stock M3.

The so called CSL pads also just stock M3 pads. It's a confusion developed over different pad supplier between Euro M3 and USA spec M3s.

The true CSL pad (you won't find the part numbers on the ETK system as it's not on there - was provided to owners on a sheet of A4 copy paper on a print out) are a rebranded Pagid Yellow pad.

I would do the rear calipers. It is noticeable under hard braking ... very noticeable.

Also the CSL swaybar sizing is a little misleading as the diametre isn't consistent through the whole bar. For the money I'd go aftermarket adjustables or the motorsport variant.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M3_Power said:

No such things ... rear rotors are identical to stock M3.

The so called CSL pads also just stock M3 pads. It's a confusion developed over different pad supplier between Euro M3 and USA spec M3s.

The true CSL pad (you won't find the part numbers on the ETK system as it's not on there - was provided to owners on a sheet of A4 copy paper on a print out) are a rebranded Pagid Yellow pad.

I would do the rear calipers. It is noticeable under hard braking ... very noticeable.

Also the CSL swaybar sizing is a little misleading as the diametre isn't consistent through the whole bar. For the money I'd go aftermarket adjustables or the motorsport variant.

Thanks for that mate ?

Car is on stands now, good chance for an underguard detail. One of my rear CSL wheels apparently had a very minor buckle according to my tyre guy, so I had this sent away for repair & to have the barrel repainted a while ago. Now it's back and cured I thought I might as well redo the ceramic coating the rest of the wheels too. It's been a year or so since the last wheel coating, so about due for replacement anywho.

29961646944_a77a32773b_b.jpgBrakes1 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

29997395653_60f74065a4_b.jpgCoated2 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

30514362272_619f2ef44a_b.jpgCoated1 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

The second CSL brake carrier has arrived from BMW too, so I picked up some race fluid and proper line tools at the same time. Might install my BMW Performance SSK I bought a while ago too, as there's another one I have my eye on - if this doesn't fix the slop in the shifter I'll go aftermarket. It's supposed to reduce throw by 20%-ish, but I'm only really concerned with play. I've replaced the plastic bushing below the shifter twice which made it a little better, but there's still a very small amount of play in the shifter while in gear. While not a major it just feels sloppy and a bit cheap.

Same as this, except I didn't order the alcantara boot or knob from BMW (I have a new weighted ZCP already)

bmw-shortshift-kit-for-e46-m3-genuine.jp

• Like 1

I took my old Car Folie carbon supreme tint film off last week as I've never really been happy with it (mainly the application around the rear glass which I had Seth remove after trying a few things). It just didn't look great having side windows tinted without rear.

After sitting in the sun for a day it was enough for me to get some new tints put on today by Nick at Autotintz. Holy sh*t stuff driving a car without tints in summer. 

On his recommendation I went for super-reflective silver film - I stuck to 35% because law. IMO the lighter colour really suits the combo I have going on. 

30383794154_928691e9b3_b.jpgMtoyTints2 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

30837708450_e21ebc2606_b.jpgMtoyTints1 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 1

How much heat rejection does your new tints provide? looks very clean as always :D

Doesn't even look tinted from those pics. How's the radio reception with them?

21 hours ago, M3AN said:

Can't remember last time I turned the radio on bro haha. The film is metallised so I doubt it helps reception, but I'm not much of a radio listener so it doesn't worry me. Here's a shot from the side today in different light

31218485835_da79c14fcb_b.jpgMtoyTints3 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

Edited by CSET
  • Like 3

On 24/11/2016 at 7:04 PM, M3AN said:

I can't pick up AM at all, FM is OK. [bought the car with tints]

• Like 2

I'm really liking this tint film. It's quite strange, outside it's really light & reflective and indoors it looks quite dark & opaque (both pics taken today):

mIMHtCg.jpg

RjqDybg.jpg

It's been a productive few weeks: As well as all the detailing & ceramic coatings I've added new spacers & tyres, brakes, service and changed the bootlid to give the big wing a rest and change it up a bit. All ready for summer!

• Like 2

Looks smooth without the big wing, real smooth. 

• Like 1

The inside of the wheels look amazing.

Have you installed the new brakes yet?

• Like 1

Cheers lads. Yep new brakes are in, along with braided lines and new rear pads as of y'day. I also debadged and re-polished/coated the standard bootlid y'day (because OCD).

I'm actually dailying this car at the moment while my normal babymomma suv is in the shop getting fixed. Some f**khead decided to whack into it and drive off without leaving a note. 

30845570125_9fdb1d6bae_b.jpgIMG_9888 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

I actually miss this car, it's so easy to potter round in!

30046513873_a67e8a62de_b.jpgLol5 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

30641155406_31a977bbe9_b.jpgLol1 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 1

Pics of brakes installed?