Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

Awesome. Looking forward to getting my one... Think I'll buy when in the US and save on shipping though. Bugger about the boot surround but glad you got it in place anyway.

Awesome. Looking forward to getting my one... Think I'll buy when in the US and save on shipping though. Bugger about the boot surround but glad you got it in place anyway.

Good idea re: shipping, planning on bringing back a container by chance? :D I'd love to go to the US - maybe one day.

The surround is quite easy to replace. Had a similar issue with the M5 one, as the surround is a few cm wider in the e39 than the e46.

That came out pretty good - I have the same US boot but thought that it wouldn't work because the boot is patterned for LHD as is the plastic base section - looks like it sits ok though

To anyone wanting to mimic what Christan has done here - I have an Alcantara boot (and standard knob - cam with my short shift kit) which I will part with for beer money

• Like 1

Onya Paul - these parts are not at all cheap, so this is a really generous offer people. Good on you mate.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Onya Paul - these parts are not at all cheap, so this is a really generous offer people. Good on you mate.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Agreed. If only was for E92.. Haha, I'm in the process of doing this now. Was about to buy a leather boot then realised I had one in the garage which I bought in August and totally forgot about.

In here to refresh my memory on what adhesive you used... Silicone sealant. Cheers!

Yep that’s the one Tristan, superglue was less than useless on fabric for me. Just be really careful with the silicone sealant, as it dries clear so will make an irreversible mess of alcantara!

Checking in with the to-do list:

COMPLETED:
Fit bumper plinth
Remake personalised plates
Hard wire Radar detector
Tint glass & roof wrap
Repaint rear speaker covers
Replace wheels & tyres (twice now!)
Fit front lip spoiler
Repaint steering wheel plastic
Fit K&N intake
Fit black fender gills & replace badges
Fit ZCP gearknob & alcantara boot

GENERAL MAINTENANCE
Rear subframe fixed
Starter motor reconditioned
Spare key remote fixed
Gear lever play fixed
Bushes replaced
Belts replaced
Oil release value replaced

YET TO DO:
- Suspension: I really like the H&R springs, but as it is not a daily anymore I can probably get away with some good coilovers. Thanks to Tom & others, I have every real option under my nose! This one is a longer-term change, when the current shocks are up for replacement. Simply changing the LCAB’s & tyres has completely transformed the handling of the car, so I’ll be holding off any more changes for the meantime until I’m 100% used to it!
- Fix rear window tint not sticking to the dot matrix. I’ve asked a couple of those ‘in the know’, and there’s not much that can be done about it. Still undecided whether I’ll just remove the tint completely. Seth has done a very good job of the tint, so it’d be a shame to remove it all. I’m pretty OCD though, so it’ll bug me unless I do something. Hmm.

We’ve achieved a fair amount in the past year, and I’m pretty much done with the many-times-modified to do list now …! From here, it’s going to be weekly maintenance & replacing worn parts as and when I come across them.

Speaking of OCD, I’m also keeping to a paint protection schedule; wash every week, degrease & wax with Meguiars deep crystal canaruba every 2 months, and a Mothers clay & Meguiars Tech Wax sealant every 6 months. I’m getting this down to a fine art now, and have saved up & spent a fair amount on getting the best product & applicators available. I’ve regularly washed all other cars I’ve owned in the past, but without any real understanding of paint protection, and the paint often scratched, discoloured or faded over time. I’m pleased to say the paint is looking as good as when I bought it from Team Mac last year, here's to keeping it that way!

With M TOY happily cleaned & tucked away I turned my sights on the daily during the long weekend.

May I present quite possibly the cleanest Corolla in the world. Mind the (wheel) gap.

1_zpsc5f81e7a.jpg

Great little runners Christian, I just picked up our 9th Corolla for our Royal Oak Ray White team today haha.

Yours must be the 1.5 1NZFE version? they're quite nippy but do suit being manual rather than auto!

Edited by Michael.

Yep, I saw your fleet in the carpark last night mate haha! I parked next to one of the older ones (I don't think it was your one tho didn't see your name).

Yes 1NZFE, gutless as #%! being the auto but even so uses next to no gas. It's now on 59,xxx kms, added 30,000k's in a year from my commute. Has cost me $30 in repairs in that time.. no brainer.

I've now spied something else I'd like for M TOY, to continue on the black-and-grey theme. That lack of spending lasted about a day

m9hRzRElLGW5tUPbm5fA4Vg.jpg

Seems you can get these in a multitude of styles and materials.... Watch this space again.

Yep, I saw your fleet in the carpark last night mate haha! I parked next to one of the older ones (I don't think it was your one tho didn't see your name).

Yes 1NZFE, gutless as #%! being the auto but even so uses next to no gas. It's now on 59,xxx kms, added 30,000k's in a year from my commute. Has cost me $30 in repairs in that time.. no brainer.

I've now spied something else I'd like for M TOY, to continue on the black-and-grey theme. That lack of spending lasted about a day

m9hRzRElLGW5tUPbm5fA4Vg.jpg

Seems you can get these in a multitude of styles and materials.... Watch this space again.

Group buy? I need to replace mine as damaged during an act of stupidity - keep me in mind

Group buy? I need to replace mine as damaged during an act of stupidity - keep me in mind

Will do Paul, have yet to do my research and will probably save towards Xmas, so look to purchase in the New Year.

Will do Paul, have yet to do my research and will probably save towards Xmas, so look to purchase in the New Year.

This guy (AJ from "Happybuyitnow") seems to have a reasonable reputation on the UK boards. He apparently has his own M3 which he test fits his prototypes on before manufacture to ensure an acceptable fit.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78302

Price ain't bad either.

Thanks Tristan. I've been looking around at a few options, and think I'll go the full-carbon route for the diffuser rather than half-painted or brushed silver.

In the meantime, I've bought an indoor dust cover for the car from Germany. This should hopefully stop all the dust and grime building up on the upper surfaces when I'm tooling around the garage.

$(KGrHqV,!hUFC!dYCf)WBQiT5s0fFg~~60_12.G

The rear window tint film is really bugging me. I didn't think it would, but it seems I am more OCD than I'd like to admit.

My options:

- Remove the rear window tint, and leave the side window film on

- Remove all tint from the windows

It'd be a shame to remove it all, because Seth has done such a good job on the tint. That dot matrix it such a pain in the ass. Ideas very welcome!!!!

The rear window tint film is really bugging me. I didn't think it would, but it seems I am more OCD than I'd like to admit.

My options:

- Remove the rear window tint, and leave the side window film on

- Remove all tint from the windows

It'd be a shame to remove it all, because Seth has done such a good job on the tint. That dot matrix it such a pain in the ass. Ideas very welcome!!!!

Got any pics to show what it looks like?

Got any pics to show what it looks like?

Generic Google imagine but it's like this:

IMG_5250.jpg

Generic Google imagine but it's like this:

IMG_5250.jpg

This has been bugging me lately - i have the same issue on my car (was tinited at Car Folie in the city)

I opted for the carbon supreme when the car was tinted

Has anyone gone back to Car folie on resolving this issue? - that thread you linked Jeff was very informative on sorting out the issue

When I bought my first M3 in 2006 I had this issue. I worked with JG BMW in HB to resolve. What they did in the end was remove the tint on the dots and apply a solid black strip across the dots. It looked a lot better....

This has been bugging me lately - i have the same issue on my car (was tinited at Car Folie in the city)

I opted for the carbon supreme when the car was tinted

Has anyone gone back to Car folie on resolving this issue? - that thread you linked Jeff was very informative on sorting out the issue

Sounds like all that's involved is a bit of hard work and patience - hopefully Seth @ Car Folie will be willing to work with some owners whose cars he's done to resolve and do the job right. I'm very happy with the tints I've had done at Car Folie but neither car has had the dot matrix so it's not been an issue. I reckon go back to him, show him some research and see what he's willing to do. Would be good for his business - especially on modern high end cars - to find a good solution or he'll just generate more dissatisfied customers.

i had the same issue with my old m3, i wanted to remove the tints cause it just doesnt look good anymore but was too lazy to ever do it

would love to know they ever solved this issue

Hmm interesting. I've had a couple of opinions from different tinters - and it's a well-known issue with the e46's. Interested to hear JG BMW's solution MJH.

Seth & his team did a great job on the side windows, roof and my other car. This rear window just seems to be notoriously difficult.

Jeff - thanks I'll have another chat with Seth next week. He's a great guy, and I stick by my original opinion that Car Folie is definitely the best tinter I have ever used, (and I've used a lot).

Today's a bloody nice day. I went up to the park to take some photos. I've taken off the Luftwaffe livery, but had Speedy Signs print me another set just in case I want to re-apply in the future! Rutschig Deutscher is staying on though - has anyone worked out what it means yet?

20131109_122907_zpse56697c4.jpg

20131109_122945_zps1cadc315.jpg

20131109_123104_zps3eb992a6.jpg

20131109_123944_zpsb813dd0e.jpg

20131109_124007_zpsb0d79653.jpg

20131109_124047_zpsa6cd12ee.jpg

Slippery German - Although I'd say it should be "Rutschiger Deutscher"

E:Oh and the car looks great, like always!

Edited by sascha