Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

Having driven both the E36 feels more responsive and the 46 more of a refined power delivery.

To me anyway.

I like raw!

That is what I've heard as well from other sources, but it would be interesting to find out what people think here on the forum after trying both E36 and E46. Especially M3 wise.

Edited by swordfish

Not a lot of people here probably have.

Be interested to drive them one directly after another.

^^^ So E36 felt far worse than E46, is that what you are saying?

Let me rephrase - E36 Z3M Coupe. Sorry for the confusion.

No, I'm not saying it felt worse (let alone far worse) - just different in terms of power delivery and handling. I'm sure they'd be on-par with each other performance-wise, but they go about delivering it quite differently (if that makes sense?).

I'd love to own one if I could justify & afford it..!

Edit: Same as this, the breadvan:

Posted Image

Edit 2: I'd definitely be keen on going for a ride in an e36 M3; I haven't before, and they've always been one of my dream cars - I just love the shape. Was looking at a mint blurple one in WGTN when it was up for sale a while back - I think it was owned as a personal car by the dealer.

Edited by CSET

Yeah Jeff Gray owned that car.

Not a hell of a lot power difference surprisingly.

I've driven the E36 M3 Evo and E46 M3 back to back (one right after the other), and to be honest I actually thought the E36 M3 had better steering feedback and felt lot more 'raw' when compared to the E46 M3.

Power delivery however the E46 M3 trumps the E36 M3 in my opinion. Smoother, more willing to rev and felt less strained for me.

I've driven the E36 M3 Evo and E46 M3 back to back (one right after the other), and to be honest I actually thought the E36 M3 had better steering feedback and felt lot more 'raw' when compared to the E46 M3.

Power delivery however the E46 M3 trumps the E36 M3 in my opinion. Smoother, more willing to rev and felt less strained for me.

I wouldn't be surprised on the steering feedback - I have often thought the steering on the e46 m3 feels a bit on the light side. I think the CSL has a different steering rack, may tighten things up a bit?

Had a trial fit of the new lip spoiler and it's rather low....! May be a concern for daily use, but only one way to find out. Will take it to someone who knows what they're doing, as I don't want to hack the bumper to bits trying to fit it - any suggestions?

I wouldn't be surprised on the steering feedback - I have often thought the steering on the e46 m3 feels a bit on the light side. I think the CSL has a different steering rack, may tighten things up a bit?

Not really a lightness or heavy issue with the steering - heavy doesn't always = more direct steering feedback.

I guess a better word for it is probably lazy - the E46 M3's steering definitely felt a lot "lazier" compared to the E36 M3 and the feedback and feel through it becomes a little vague.

CSL has a faster rack in a lighter car, so in actual fact it is lighter again compared to the E46 M3, but mostly owing to the steering ratio, it has a much more positive feedback and lot less lazy feel to it.

Edited by M3_Power

Not really a lightness or heavy issue with the steering - heavy doesn't always = more direct steering feedback.

I guess a better word for it is probably lazy - the E46 M3's steering definitely felt a lot "lazier" compared to the E36 M3 and the feedback and feel through it becomes a little vague.

CSL has a faster rack in a lighter car, so in actual fact it is lighter again compared to the E46 M3, but mostly owing to the steering ratio, it has a much more positive feedback and lot less lazy feel to it.

Aha that makes sense now - thanks!

Not to mention DOT rated semi slicks, they make a huge difference on their own!

Now another question is how different is earlier version of E36 M3 to an Evo one...

Suff all.

This thread needs more photos.

First to spot the location wins the prize. Disclaimer: there may not be a prize.

Plinth fitted on the front - looks good, and I hope it will stop the front bumper getting as damaged from low-speed impacts. I park in malls/carparks/all over the place, so it can't be avoided.

Any suggestions where to get front lip fitted?

Posted Image

Nice car!

Pity I cant say the same about your parking :lol:

Nice car!

That's how BOSSES park - however the F*CK they want! :ph34r:

it's more down to the silly shape of the spaces, as the car park is round, the parks are not straight but wedge shaped. Been parking there for months and still cant get it right first time.

And that's not how the Bosses park <_< !

That's how BOSSES park - however the F*CK they want! :ph34r:

Is a bit of a silly carpark.

Double side the top rim on then screw through the bottom, how we do it anyway.

Is a bit of a silly carpark.

Double side the top rim on then screw through the bottom, how we do it anyway.

Thanks Greg,

I took your advice, taped the top of the rim and screws on side & bottom, and voila!

What do you think, Bimmersport? Like/dislike? Paint grey/keep black?

M3_Power, pm me your address and I'll send you the prize.

Posted Image

Posted Image