Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

The only place I know of that has a working Hoffman machine is in Hamilton (they are apparently over $80K to buy) - the one that was in Auckland is broken now. I have heard a rumor there's a guy with one in a big truck that goes around prestige vehicle places to mount tyres (still trying to find out who he is) - he apparently has a pretty trick machine.

I am lead to believe although have not confirmed that Michelin in Newmarket might have something very similar that can mount without damage. Otherwise ask where the GTR guys are getting their 20 inch runflats mounted.

Mobile Tyre Fitting

Could be this chap - photos depict some higher-end cars - but the machine is red (Hofman's seem to be blue from my research). Thanks again Tom

Michael - I'll keep an eye on it for sure. Thanks for the link, I didn't know where to start looking!

Tristan - lol, I'll give you a call when planning the trip!

Mobile Tyre Fitting

Could be this chap - photos depict some higher-end cars - but the machine is red (Hofman's seem to be blue from my research). Thanks again Tom

Could be .... wish there was a better photo of the machine he's using, can't quite make out what it is - but does seem like the one I've seen before that does runflats really well.

Will check with my friend if this is the guy!

Could be .... wish there was a better photo of the machine he's using, can't quite make out what it is - but does seem like the one I've seen before that does runflats really well.

Will check with my friend if this is the guy!

Thank you mate, let us know!

I highly recommend the intake thus far! We waited until witching hour last night then went for a drive towards Maraetai. With the windows all closed, you can hear the intake in-cabin from about 4k to rev limit, but only under full load. With the windows open it sounds like the apocalypse. Supersprint exhaust + K&N sure is a loud combination.

It really picks up faster in the higher rpm's (over 5k), seemingly without losing any of that delicious mid-range torque. The only problem was running out of road - I'd love to see what sort of speed these M3's could do unlimited in the right environment.

Does a Hofmann machines means those that got a disc for breaking the tyre bead as oppose to the normal machines where it got a L shape metal and the operator slip a pry bar into the tyre? I've seen that kind of machine at Beaurepaire Grey Lynn (next to Lamborghini show room and Pit Stop).

The rear wheels have arrived, and are looking nice!

Posted Image

Now to find some good tyres.

I drove down to Tauranga today with some of the NZHondas lads to have a go on the Dyno at CDM. It's a hub dyno (rather than a rolling road), so the wheels came off and they hooked the contraption up. It made 221kw, and a bloody racket.

I really didn't know what to expect, having never been to a dyno before and not knowing the standard output of the car at the hubs. Google tells me that 220kw is just under 300hp, which is quite good going when you take into account some drivetrain loss. I have the dyno printout thing I can scan and post up if anyone's interested.

Those that were asking about the noise from the new K&N intake, have a look at video 3

M3 Dyno Run 1 (Rear)

M3 Dyno Run 2 (Rear)

M3 Dyno Run 3 (Intake)

I've also registered for the Gumboot Rally in a couple of weeks' time - will post up some photos once the car is stickered up and ready to go.

Edit: And a couple more photos from today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by CSET

Very nice, Christian. Looking forward to seeing those CSL wheels mounted up. Planning to space them out?

That sounds very angry - like

Heh me too, I'd never heard it outside before - sounds quite different in the cabin!

Very nice, Christian. Looking forward to seeing those CSL wheels mounted up. Planning to space them out?

Thanks mate. I'll mount them up without spacers to start with, then have a look afterwards if there's room for a little more poke. I am a little nervous as the previous wheels rubbed quite badly under load (with 25 profile tyres too!). Aside from TradeMe, do you know of anywhere I can get good quality spacers?

Excellent! Solid output there thats for sure.

Sounds like it's about standard output, which I'm stoked with - shows the engine is still in great condition.

Not got any experience with spacers but if I were to buy some I'd be looking at either Macht Schnell or Rogue Engineering. Two names that pop up frequently with spacers!

Hi all!

We took part in the inaugural Gumboot Rally the past weekend (www.gumbootrally.com) - and had a blast! Drove some amazing roads down and around Taranaki and the Waikato, including the Forgotten Highway. I highly recommend this event; it went off without a hitch and the organisers did a grand job of planning the route & challenges. There were prizes for the best themed, so I got in touch with Speedy Signs who made up some German crosses & VW decals for MTOY.

The Suzuki Swift below came out best-themed - it looked incredible in person. We were the overall winners of the rally in MTOY, lucky number 11! The prizes were amazing; I now have a fair sum to invest in some good tyres for the new wheels!

There'll be some more pics to come, but here's some I had on my cell phone:

Gumboot1_zps3a394b33.jpg

Gumboot2_zps266bd6f7.jpg

Gumboot3_zpsf4b8b776.jpg

Gumboot5_zpsb29cdec9.jpg

Haha sure did mate - still buzzing! There were a couple of VW's in the rally, nothing like a little friendly competition.

Haha love the German cross on the car.

Where is this 'forgotten highway' you spoke of??

Are you can keep the Luftwaffe livery? Looks pretty tough! haha

Awesome, I really like your M3 Christian, the best colour, sweet wheels, and the front lip really sets it off!

Are you can keep the Luftwaffe livery? Looks pretty tough! haha

I hadn't planned to, but it is growing on me for sure! Speedy Signs printed me out another set, so I can remove the ones on there if I'd like. I may remove the VW logos though - they're a bit on the nose.

The prize for winning the rally is $$ towards tyres - so I can finally afford some good tyres for the CSL wheels! Will get them fitted up and post some pics when I can.

The only chrome left on the car after removing the wheels is the side-fender gills. This would look a little out-of-place with the black/grey theme, so I've ordered some black ones from overseas. I also have a ZCP gear knob and alcantara gaiter turning up shortly - can't wait for these two!

Awesome, I really like your M3 Christian, the best colour, sweet wheels, and the front lip really sets it off!

Thank you mate! I'm really happy where it's at now

Where is this 'forgotten highway' you spoke of??

It's a very cool road! There is one corner I remember, I think it's actually signposted as a 10 or 15 km/h corner, it goes left AND uphill at the same time - the only way I had to get my VW bus around it was to keep the power on, and leave a cloud of tyre smoke around it :D otherwise the twist in the road meant no traction.

Stopped in the republic of Whangamomona for a while too. Worth a trip if you're heading that way and got a few extra hours to go that way.

• Like 1

Dammmmn. This car is like sex on wheels. I haven't read through the whole 10 pages, but mind if I ask what you paid for it?

I'd love to get myself something similar, but have a sinking feeling this is far outside my price range :(

OK tyres are now on the way, so watch this space for the new BBS rims! Picked up a set of Nitto Invo's, they've had glowing reviews from guys running these on M3s overseas.

Plus that tread pattern.... :wub:

invo.jpg

Dammmmn. This car is like sex on wheels. I haven't read through the whole 10 pages, but mind if I ask what you paid for it?

I'd love to get myself something similar, but have a sinking feeling this is far outside my price range :(

They're still coming down in price! I picked mine up from Team MacMillan, so it's not really a good yardstick to use to compare price against a private sale. There's a few on TM for low $20's (on higher k's, granted).

Beware though - I've found parts can get quite expensive, so the capital cost is only a small part of the investment...! If you're really stretched to buy one, it may be worth saving until you can afford the maintenance (to save disappointment if something breaks). Otherwise, get a cheap daily runabout - it's worked really well for me this way; I'm not dependant on the M3 for work this way!

I live about 5 minutes walk from work - I'd just end up walking!

Shame though, $20k is outside my price range by a solid 5 - 8k. Oh well, maybe in a few years!

If you're dead-set keen on an M3, you could also look at an e36 shape? Have a read around the forum, there's heaps of info on them. Awesome cars.

I saved for my M3 for a number of years, it was well worth the wait!