Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Tattoos.

I read an opinion piece in the NZ Herald, and then the comments afterwards about people in New Zealands thoughts on tattoos. I was actually pretty shocked to read that, probably, in the majority, the comments were negative and against them.

I am putting this here to see if the Bimmersport community also feels this way. I like to think that there is a pretty good cross section of NZ's society on here.

I have been here in California for nearly 4 years now, and I don't know anyone who would have that negative reaction. I have a large tattoo on my right forearm, and work for a very prestigious boutique IT and project consulting firm. Even my boss, who is pretty old and very conservative really like my tattoo, althuogh I am not allowed to have it exposed at work.

In fact a group of us were sitting around the pool on Saturday (maybe 6 or 7 of us) and only one in the group didn't have a tattoo. We were all professional people too.

Anyway, your thoughts? (I have attached a bad photo of mine - I'm at work and don't have any better ones here)

post-43-1344963524.jpg

I personally dont have any and would probally never get one but I don't have a problem with them, along as they're not something stupid and in a sensible place. Alot of my friends have them as they have some sort of meaning to them or represent something. A friend of mine has his family crest on his upper arm, as does the rest of his family. And then my missus has two on her back, just a butterfly and some shape thing. Don't think they mean anything to her, just something she wanted but outta sight, outta mind

I personally dont have any and would probally never get one but I don't have a problem with them, along as they're not something stupid and in a sensible place.

+1 ^^ What he said.

they are perfectly fine when they mean something

a silver fern is awesome when your overseas

i despise people who get them to impress people

you can always tell these people because they will be something stupid that will be irrelevant in 6 months

movie or song quotes, or sh*t like "party hard" etc etc

i also still think its reasonable for employers to expect them to be covered.

Many people are still complaining that they have to cover up their sleeve tattoos etc.

The polled opinion in the herald probably proves why we should cover them at work

I have a couple. Big one on my back, and recently I went to thailand, got boozed, and ended up with another one. Ha. Will probably end up with a few more.

Guest Ari Gold

As long as they have meaning and tell a story I am all for them, and plan on getting some tough guy stickers some time in the future myself.

I don't really see the point, but I don't begrudge anyone who has them, within reason.

i have some ..personal preference ..i think its a form of art ..some may disagree

that meaning stuff is vintage and cheesyish

My mate has the outline of NZ with a tack on Christchurch located on the inside of his forearm. When we were travelling, everyone loved it.

I have always wanted one but never been able to decide on what to get until now. It is a modified silver fern and I will get it started once the football season is over.

I have seen some stupid tattoo's but they are usually attached to stupid people. I think the general public don't mind either as long there is some sort of meaning to it and none of this YOLO sh*t that seems to be the trend at the moment.

I read recently that NZ recently took over from Spain (of all places) as the most heavily tattooed country in the world per capita. Seems surprising there would be so much negative reaction. I'm covered in the things - even a few on my hands, though I haven't gone above my collarbone - and I've never had any negative reactions since emigrating to NZ over 12 years ago. I work with a lot of major international cultural institutions (museums and galleries, etc) where you often find some of the most conservative people on boards and the like, but no one's ever batted an eye... Maybe they're scared! haha

althuogh I am not allowed to have it exposed at work

Isn't that indicative of the underlying attitude though?

I don't mind them, but I can't even keep the same screen saver for a week. How would I deal with a tat?

Isn't that indicative of the underlying attitude though?

In the company I work for, and in particular the CEO, yes, but not of the people I work with. I'm based on a Government client site, and am expected (by my company) to wear a suit and tie every day, even though the people I work with do not.

In the company I work for, and in particular the CEO, yes, but not of the people I work with. I'm based on a Government client site, and am expected (by my company) to wear a suit and tie every day, even though the people I work with do not.

I wear a suit to all client meetings and you can see the tattoos on my hands and chest if I'm not wearing a tie. Nobody seems to care. In fact, in one particularly tense meeting with a Maori organisation the barriers were broken down when the elderly chairwoman of their board started asking me about the meaning and stories behind my tattoos. I went from being a 'crown' representative to part of the whanau in a matter of minutes and it turned the meeting from a combative session into a really successful one!

Edited by jeffbebe

Have a half sleeve going into a chest piece. Most people, even workmates I see every week don't even notice I have tats unless I mention it, even though it is visible. Maybe I'm just too dark :ph34r:

Cant be bothered reading all posts. But I have 3 tattoos and getting more. My attitude towards them are I prefer tats with a meaning/story behind them, where as Im not really into "art" eg pictures or designs (unless there is a meaning eg the person draw it and got it done on them). My tats are my family name (dads surname) on one arm & my mums maiden name on the other. And my initials & star sign on my side, my first tat as it was an experiment (small).

My other tats I want are my Daughters name (and my 2nd child, whatever it is).

My dads Plaque eg full name & dob/dod (on the same arm as my surname - his last name).

My mums full name on the other arm.

A tiger climbing up my back of my leg (me, my dad & brother are all Tigers in the chinese zodiac).

And the outline of NZ with New Zealand above it and Aotearoa below it.

However, even if someone has a tat I dont agree with eg art/pics etc I wont judge them or disaprove of that person - I will always comment on someones tats as I expect others to do so with me.

Tats are also common in all walks of life (not just low income earners or gangs etc) heaps of high profile sport stars, actors and even Police have tattoos. Wont be surprised if some Politicians do too. Thats what made my mum get over the fact I have tats, cos high proile people do now too.

Also have a few, all on my torso so nobody see's them unless Ive got my shirt off...etc

Biggest is my family crest.

Some people have pointless tats but that kind of describes them as a person lol...so could be considered meaningful I guess. They're definitely becoming more and more common though

Edited by Lucan

Also in my job, I would say about 80% of all the workers all have at least one tattoo (not including the management and admin as you dont see them much & if they have got them they probly cover them up due to their role at work) but we dont have too as we are "labourers".. And there is over 130 people at my work (all in different departments). Some of them have stupid ones like skulls & flames etc but the majority of them are GC's so you cannot judge people by their tats.

I am however 100% fully AGAINST gang and racist related tats though. I hate them.

I am however 100% fully AGAINST gang and racist related tats though. I hate them.

Me too, although it can be a useful way of identifying and avoiding d*ckheads, though.

we have a tattoo apprentice on this forum ,

maybe get him to do some bmws signs on some of ya guys necks

When I got mine, I was talking to the guy doing mine (the owner of Bonehead Tattoo) and asked him what he won't do, and he said anything deemed racist or gang related.

Interestingly enough he also said that they won't tattoo anyone they suspect has been drinking, due to potential liability issues.

The drinking issue is also because it thins the blood and you bleed more so too messy. But I get the liability part. Imagine them coming back and asking why you agreed to tatto those dogs ball on their cheek! :P

they are perfectly fine when they mean something

a silver fern is awesome when your overseas

I feel sick when i think about the amount of silver ferns overseas (particularly London) they are everywhere and IMHO is nearly as embarrasing as the pissed halfwits who get up on the tables and do the Haka :angry:

Personally I think tattoo's should have some sort of a meaning behind it and not just be something you thought looked cool but like cars... each to their own ;)

I have 3 Tattoos, all done traditionally (Polynesian style) An Armband on my left bicep when i was 16, which got turned into a shoulder and chest sleeve and i also have a band around my quad.

fortunately in the motor industry its acceptable,

this is my latest ink from last summer, will eventually turn this into a full sleeve

post-4759-1344994352.jpg

I myself haven't got any, my partner does, she has a large one on her upper back, not that fussed about it though.