Sign in to follow this  
vanossa

E36 Problem

Hi Everyone. The car is running beautifully but for this.... There is a sudden loss of power in the engine. I commute on the open road daily and it can happen at any location i.e. hills, straights, bends. This has happened more frequently (3 times in last month?) but has happened once or twice only, as long as 6-8 months ago. When i shut down and start up again it seems to correct. The symptoms include, obvious loss of engine power and timing is out at idle. No signals or checks displayed in OBC or 'check' light on dash. Any ideas, anyone? This has always (so far?) happened once the car is underway on the open road. Thanks in advance. PS... I have had it on a scanner

(albeit after market) at a mechanic in Queenstown with no faults discovered. I live in Kingston (a one garage town)

1993' auto, E36 coupe, 155000 miles.

Vanos needs a Seal Kit maybe ........... ???

Paul - E36 328is

Hi Everyone. The car is running beautifully but for this.... There is a sudden loss of power in the engine. I commute on the open road daily and it can happen at any location i.e. hills, straights, bends. This has happened more frequently (3 times in last month?) but has happened once or twice only, as long as 6-8 months ago. When i shut down and start up again it seems to correct. The symptoms include, obvious loss of engine power and timing is out at idle. No signals or checks displayed in OBC or 'check' light on dash. Any ideas, anyone? This has always (so far?) happened once the car is underway on the open road. Thanks in advance. PS... I have had it on a scanner

(albeit after market) at a mechanic in Queenstown with no faults discovered. I live in Kingston (a one garage town)

1993' auto, E36 coupe, 155000 miles.

Thanks mate. I had it scanned today and nothing came up re: vanos. Would a scan show something about the vanos? It was a genuine scan tool this time. I have been holding my cards close to my chest and did not mention :blink: engine problems to the mechanic who scanned it. The fact that nothing of importance was discovered now leads me towards the dirty spark plug theory? Surely some fault code would appear for either vanos or spark-plugs though?

could be the fuel pump packing up.

Thats how mine started to show its on the way out.

Thats how mine started to show its on the way out.

Thanks guys I'll add that one to the list. Will update on the spark plugs check after Saturday's WOF....

Thanks guys I'll add that one to the list. Will update on the spark plugs check after Saturday's WOF....

Passed the WOF :) Seems like it may be the split (air filter housing pipe to throttle body) which I have tape/sealed as a temporary measure, until I source a replacement. A wee bit of oil was observed in one of the spark plug holes, also. So these are the leading causes of the symptoms now. I'll update again if any of the symptoms return post replacement of above.