Sign in to follow this  
Gobby

Looking to buy a new radar detector

Hi guys, looking to buy a new radar detector (30 points away from losing my license :wacko: ). I pretty much want whatever's the best at the moment. I know that the Valentine One is supposed to be no.1, but is it obsolete now? My mates have been going on about the Beltronics STI Magnum, anyone have any experience with that? Your opinions would be much appreciated. Also cheapest place to buy? Cheers,Raj

You update the software with the valentine, so in effect even though it looks like its from the 90's it will never be obsolete so to speak.

You update the software with the valentine, so in effect even though it looks like its from the 90's it will never be obsolete so to speak.

Yea I've read that you can do that, but can it actually be done from New Zealand? The Valentine One website won't even ship to NZ, so I would be surprised if they don't offer an upgrade facility for us in Kiwiland

Find the later version of V1.

Mind you though it won't make you invincible. Ask me how I know :-)

Guest Ari Gold

BEL STi smokes the crap out of the V1 right now, but then again, so does not speeding. Your call.

BEL STi smokes the crap out of the V1 right now, but then again, so does not speeding. Your call.

+1

[running a Bel STi-R with jammers. still got 100 speeding credits to spend!]

Valentine 1 is the only one to go with. Plus you know what direction the threat is coming from. Ive had many and the V1 is by far the best.

Get Jammers too!

Edited by mossline

I've had extensive experience with both uints.

My mate has the STI w jammers I have a V1.

About a two years ago we had a argument which was better. So there was money placed on the deal and we researched the subject

firstly you have picked the two best units on the market. By far. Either will do the job.

from reading the reports and they are pretty much the same. We both could find consumer reports that showed our radar was slightly better in this conditions or that. If pure straight line detection distances is all you care about I believe the STI has a slight advantage in that only.

In real world situations they basically work as good as each other.

what it comes down to is personal choice on the features.

V1 - has the directional arrows to tell you where the threat is. Brilliant for knowing if you just passed the bogey. Or if he's following you.

STI - newer looking unit plus you can have the stealth install option which means it totally hidden & secure. (i've had my car broken into twice for my V1). Stealth install takes away your ability to move cars with it however.

Jammers - only really needed in Auck.

my 2c.

[edit - neither of us could convince the other of superiority so bet was off]

Edited by M5V8

What ever you choose, the very best way of protecting yourself is a inbuilt system, i.e 4 front and rear facing detectors in bumpers. After having this and going back to my high end Beltronics, I'd prefer the inbuilt system.

30 point away from losing your license to me suggests radar detectors aren't your solution. Try slow down, the best form of avoiding the law is not breaking....

30 point away from losing your license to me suggests radar detectors aren't your solution. Try slow down, the best form of avoiding the law is not breaking....

very true....

however.

I can't count the number of times I have approached a overtaking lane and about to pull out and the radar has gone off.

I drive at the speed limit, but overtaking I firmly believe the less time you take the better.

The last 10 demerits I got was for going 104 on an open road at 1am on a Tuesday. The 20 before that was for going 112 at 4am on a Sunday coming back from Tauranga. I'm not a huge speeder, I just find it difficult to trundle at what really are slow speeds, along roads especially at night when no one else is around. Cops love it when they get someone young doing something minorly wrong, especially in a nice car, to "teach them a lesson while they're young".

lot of good suggestions in here. Im considering the V1 and the beltronics STi, moreso the former. My question is, while they are better than the competition from cobra etc, are they worth the extra cost? i plan to buy another soon, I have had two cobras now, the first one i blew up hardwiring, and the second i gave to a mate of mine that "needs it more than I do at the moment"

please dont derail this controversial thread and keep that sort of comment to yourself..

Honestly, I used to spend up to $1000.00 every couple of years on new radars. I think I have several thousand in receipts.

I found I sped more with a radar and ended up getting plenty of tickets, Got up to 90 demerits at one stage.

I haven't had a radar for 3 years now, do a minimum of 60,000 k's a year 90% open road driving and the only ticket I have have had in that time was going down a hill braking and I got nabbed for 58k.

Agree with the comments about overtaking.

lot of good suggestions in here. Im considering the V1 and the beltronics STi, moreso the former. My question is, while they are better than the competition from cobra etc, are they worth the extra cost?

Quick answer - yes they are worth it.

I had a few cheaper units before. They beeped all the time, alot when nothing was there. What happens is you don't trust it and then when it's right... well you get the picture.

When my radar beeps. It's a cop. maybe two false alerts in 7 years? They are solid in terms of tech.

Secondly is detection time. V1 and STI kill on the detection times. Sometimes I'm driving along it goes off, honestly drive for another 5 minutes before I spot the cop. Amazing distance.

please dont derail this controversial thread and keep that sort of comment to yourself..

Settle petal, it was an entirely fair comment.

Quick answer - yes they are worth it.

I had a few cheaper units before. They beeped all the time, alot when nothing was there. What happens is you don't trust it and then when it's right... well you get the picture.

When my radar beeps. It's a cop. maybe two false alerts in 7 years? They are solid in terms of tech.

Secondly is detection time. V1 and STI kill on the detection times. Sometimes I'm driving along it goes off, honestly drive for another 5 minutes before I spot the cop. Amazing distance.

Cheers for sharing your thoughts, so do you have a V1 or an STI then?

(30 points away from losing my license

I was told by a cop that if you know your going to get busted as the last ticket is going to put you over demerit,rush in and pay the fine but pay say $50 too much.

They will send you a cheque for the overpayment. DO NOT BANK THIS CHEQUE

apparantly theres some wacky loophole in the law that they can't take your license off you while there money owed.

Im not sure if your demerits would expire but if your needing your licence for job etc it apparantly works.

Edited by kwhelan

Cheers for sharing your thoughts, so do you have a V1 or an STI then?

I have a V1. With disabled K & X bands.

I have two cars to use it in. Hard mount in the BM and window mount in my skyline.

(30 points away from losing my license

I was told by a cop that if you know your going to get busted as the last ticket is going to put you over demerit,rush in and pay the fine but pay say $50 too much.

They will send you a cheque for the overpayment. DO NOT BANK THIS CHEQUE

apparantly theres some wacky loophole in the law that they can't take your license off you while there money owed.

Im not sure if your demerits would expire but if your needing your licence for job etc it apparantly works.

they have closed this loophole. years ago. don't bother. they log your demerit as soon as you pay. too many ppl used it. lol.

Guest Ari Gold

Settle petal, it was an entirely fair comment.

Agreed. I made the same comment a six posts in and no one said a word.

I have a V1. With disabled K & X bands.

I have two cars to use it in. Hard mount in the BM and window mount in my skyline.

I should also point out...

Ka is the main frequency used by all police cars & older film speed cameras.

K band is what the new digital speed cameras use.

X band is what every freakin thing runs on (garage & auto doors etc.etc).

I block both K & X to stop false alerts.

K band is used by some other devices as well as the speed cameras. So there is increased chances of false alerts on this frequency.

Since camera vans are pretty easy to spot I'd rather my radar is quiet and only sounds on the Ka band when it's definitely police contact that serves up demerits.

K band is used by some other devices as well as the speed cameras. So there is increased chances of false alerts on this frequency.

Since camera vans are pretty easy to spot I'd rather my radar is quiet and only sounds on the Ka band when it's definitely police contact that serves up demerits.

This is how I've set mine up. The camera vans are normally in the same place, either a wine red or grey Hyundai van. They stand out like nothing else, K band disabled thanks.

Thats exactly how mine is setup. Just need to do the rear headrest stealth instal to stop those cheeky f**kers breaking into my car. (mid day at bunnings in Lyall bay, little wankers)