Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

Kiwis paying more for used cars in 2012

We are getting ripped on new cars too.

Just got back from USA, the new Ford Focus ST is US$ 27 K, which is about NZ $ 34k

But, they are $ 52 k at the dealers !

Yes I know there is GST and freight etc, but really, nearly 20 k more expensive!

Amazing the effect 200+ million consumers can have on competition!

I was at Turners today, watched 32 cars go through. 2 sold. The rest were no bids, or low bids and there were some decent cars. Even the 2 that sold were relatively cheap. Looked like a buyers market.

lol is that your first time in the US? - that is like that for everything, clothes, electronics, shoes, furniture, food etc

Yea, noticed supermarket food is real cheap, as are name brand shoes, clothes etc.

The balance is in the rent prices and the fact the service workers are on US$ 7 an hour only ( which is why they rely on Tips ! ) No holiday pay, sick days etc either, unless you are management or lucky !

US is awesome for shopping...

Have you seen CUSCO's? that place is like the warehouse on steroids!

Bulk everything!! I bought a luggage set for $100NZD. They have pallets of Dom Perignion ... Rolex watches ... you name it.

Plus they have food 'tastings' at each food isle.

Just the outlet clothes shopping savings alone pay for the flights and accommodation.

I would struggle to find any more soul in a big old German boat than I would a Toyota Corolla, in fact a manual Toyota Corolla has plenty of character and is fun around town.. but each unto heir own i guess.

i sometimes wonder why you even frequent this forum.You seem to like every other car except BMW

For the interesting conversation about cars. I love a good BMW.

Doesn't seem to apply to new car pricing though.

10 years ago the 540it sold for about $160000. A new 550 sedan (tourings only come in 530ds @ about $147000) is $167000 odd. A relative bargain ha.

Yup, the joys of the new car game, each new model has to be faster, lighter, cleaner, safer, more economical, more features and yet go on sale at the same, or a lower price than the out-going version!! How long do you think that can continue??

Oh yeah, and the new model has to come out quicker than before, and have an LCI, and twice yearly model updates, and more colours, and more options.... :blink:

Yup, the joys of the new car game, each new model has to be faster, lighter, cleaner, safer, more economical, more features and yet go on sale at the same, or a lower price than the out-going version!! How long do you think that can continue??

Oh yeah, and the new model has to come out quicker than before, and have an LCI, and twice yearly model updates, and more colours, and more options.... :blink:

Well it happens with every other product out there why not cars?

They have pallets of Dom Perignion

Just an ordinary weekend at my house... :blink:

+1!!

3 years ago an LED 3D TV was pie-in-the-sky stuff. They cost about $10K. I got a 42" one a few months back for less than a grand brand new. Home technology depreciates faster than cars even. You just lose a lot more money on an expensive car!

Not quite.

US is awesome for shopping...

Have you seen CUSCO's? that place is like the warehouse on steroids!

Bulk everything!! I bought a luggage set for $100NZD. They have pallets of Dom Perignion ... Rolex watches ... you name it.

Don't you mean Costco, got one near me, however no Rolex watches and no cars, but plenty of Dom Perignion!

Fantastic store.

I think this just has more to do with the NZ trend of buying a house and sticking stuff on tick.

Banks are just back to their old tricks again and people are buying property and cars after the dip of 2008. Confidence is back with avengence

Used car prices are not increasing! The reality is that cheaper cars are not being imported as much as they were as dealers can't make any margin. There have also been a lot of higher priced used cars for sale - look at all of the UK imports.

If anything I think used car prices have taken a hit. New cars have never been more attractive. For under $25k you can now get a brand new car with things like bluetooth, 6 airbags, ESP and in some cases service plans etc.

Yea, noticed supermarket food is real cheap, as are name brand shoes, clothes etc.

The balance is in the rent prices and the fact the service workers are on US$ 7 an hour only ( which is why they rely on Tips ! ) No holiday pay, sick days etc either, unless you are management or lucky !

Rent is significantly cheaper than NZ, and most full time salaried employees get paid time off and sick leave (althuogh not as much as NZ).

I struggle to find anything here that is not significantly cheaper than in NZ (at least where I am), although I don't like having to pay for Kiwifruit.

Whoever mentioned Costco. It is awesome, we go about once a month, and you can buy anything you want there for next to nothing.

Rent is significantly cheaper than NZ, and most full time salaried employees get paid time off and sick leave (althuogh not as much as NZ).

I struggle to find anything here that is not significantly cheaper than in NZ (at least where I am), although I don't like having to pay for Kiwifruit.

Whoever mentioned Costco. It is awesome, we go about once a month, and you can buy anything you want there for next to nothing.

^+1

I love shopping in the States. Last trip I bought bottles of polishing liquid and pads which could had cost 3x more in NZ.

A study by Turners for Turners about Turners.

Haha truth.