Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Range Rover Classic

Just wondering if anyone has any stories to tell in regards to Range Rover Classics, particularly the mid-80s Vogue models?

I'm looking at a couple of them with the aim of a ) towing things, and b ) doing a bit of off-roading possibly in the future (it looks like good fun).

I've heard a bit about the usual downfalls, being rust, electrical problems and oil leaks, but as thats no different to any other car I've owned it hardly puts me off.

Also it'd be a second car, not a daily driver, so if it was off the road while I fixed it for a few weeks it's no drama.

Anybody got any input? (Also not looking for comments along the lines of "they are sh*t, buy japanese")

I think they are great looking vehicles, but with the way 25+ year old cars (4x4s) especially are treated in NZ I wouldn't touch one unless it was a sub 100k mint 1 owner type of deal.

A few years back I got bored of my 540i and test drove a few 4.6 HSE mid 90s models... very cool, but I decided it wouldn't be a car I could live with, later of which I spoke to one of my dads colleagues that had one and he enlightened me on what had gone wrong with this - needless to say it put me off that idea. But in light of this I suppose the 80s versions would be better due to their simplicity compared to the 1990's models, most of the issues the guy above had were electrical.. with a side serving of suspension and cooling issues. :ph34r:

Personally if I was after such a 4x4 vehicle I'd buy a Hilux double cab ute / Hilux surf with a lexus V8 in it, but of course they are Japanese.

Edited by Michael.

+ 1 for hilux with 3L diesel. Although Japanese, reliability is something you want in a tower/offroader.

Very, very capable off-road vehicles, even the old eighties versions.

You nailed most of the downsides, but realistically I think you will only find 3.5ltr V8s in that vintage, and that was an engine that could suck the gas on a roller skate, let alone in a big 4x4. A friend owned one when we were at uni and moaned about the cost of fuel for it even then, when it was just over a pound a GALLON!

Yes there were diesel versions around back then, but only sold in low numbers (mainly to farmers who could run them on DERV - tax free diesel) and the 2.25 ltr lump was a bit of a dog to put it mildly.

If you are serious about towing with it, then diesel really should be the way to go, I believe there are quite a few common re-powers with later model diesel engines (as the original engines do tend to overheat and warp heads I think) which might be the go. 80s Rangie looks, good off road, and reasonable towing economy.

Very, very capable off-road vehicles, even the old eighties versions.

You nailed most of the downsides, but realistically I think you will only find 3.5ltr V8s in that vintage, and that was an engine that could suck the gas on a roller skate, let alone in a big 4x4. A friend owned one when we were at uni and moaned about the cost of fuel for it even then, when it was just over a pound a GALLON!

Yes there were diesel versions around back then, but only sold in low numbers (mainly to farmers who could run them on DERV - tax free diesel) and the 2.25 ltr lump was a bit of a dog to put it mildly.

If you are serious about towing with it, then diesel really should be the way to go, I believe there are quite a few common re-powers with later model diesel engines (as the original engines do tend to overheat and warp heads I think) which might be the go. 80s Rangie looks, good off road, and reasonable towing economy.

I should probably mention I'm not too worried about economy, I won't be using it as a daily driver, and in fact my daily uses 3L/100kms so it will more than make up for it.

I'm looking at both Autos and Manuals, although I understand the Manuals are more reliable, it seems the Auto gearboxes are more common, and Manual conversions are relatively cheap.

Not interested in a $10k Hilux, they are massively overpriced and there is no way I can afford any Toyota that can actually tow. I can however buy and fix a cheap Rangie. Reliability doesn't really worry me, as I am pretty decent at fixing things myself (eventually) and have AA Plus to cover breakdowns ;)

really too heavy for serious offroading. Me and My dad used to go 4x4ing a lot (we had a purpose built Nissan powered Suzuki SJ410), from memory there was only one LandRover i ever saw that left the park up fields and got mucky. Same as LandCruisers. Though if you were meaning more along the lines of taking to the beach or on a farm light duty 4x4 stuff they are good, and as you say towing a trailer, they are good. as said above the Rover engines arent the most bullet proof.

Talk to Jon at JKS hes got a bit more experience with them etc.

A former colleague of mine had one of these with the 3.5l V8 & super thrifty auto trans. He was scared to take it into town from Howick/Pakuranga as it was damn near the same cost in fuel as paying for a taxi... He also had a problem where the rear cylinders carboned up when used in traffic for long periods - and it was pretty much a pistons out job to rectify (cost him a bomb to fix, and was a common problem apparently).

These will be a desirable classic in a short time. Stuff the running costs and have some fun. Go for it!

Just wondering if anyone has any stories to tell in regards to Range Rover Classics, particularly the mid-80s Vogue models?

I'm looking at a couple of them with the aim of a ) towing things, and b ) doing a bit of off-roading possibly in the future (it looks like good fun).

I've heard a bit about the usual downfalls, being rust, electrical problems and oil leaks, but as thats no different to any other car I've owned it hardly puts me off.

Also it'd be a second car, not a daily driver, so if it was off the road while I fixed it for a few weeks it's no drama.

Anybody got any input? (Also not looking for comments along the lines of "they are sh*t, buy japanese")

Hi Paul

Try to get one that hasn't seen too much off road

get it checked over, on a hoist etc

check for suspension play, driveline backlash and oil leaks

have the engine compression checked, cylinder leak and TK Test

No anti freeze = no sale, steer clear of these ones

avoid high milage ones, they chew out cams,unless it has been replaced and recent head work

remove the oil filler cap, they tend to be a grubby engine, but look for carbon build up, a good sign of a lack of services. I've seen many rover v8 oil pickups stick in an inch of carbon struggling to draw oil.

check it for rust, tailgate , around the tailgate, bulkhead, chassis etc

The type of rangie you will get is also limited to your budget, you pay for what you get.

They are great off road, its down to tyres tyre pressure and the driver

give me a call

cheers

Jon

Edited by JKSE

Cheers for that Jon, will give you a call if I get stuck. Just put an offer in on a 1987 Range Rover Vogue Auto, so we will see.

Has been a city dweller most it's life.

Only 180,000kms.

Seems well serviced.

Really good tyres, and good shocks.

Hopefully it'll be a diamond in the rough, but we will see, worst case I'll flick it off.

Edit: Offer Accepted. I just bought a Rangie :blink:

Edited by huff3r

Cheers for that Jon, will give you a call if I get stuck. Just put an offer in on a 1987 Range Rover Vogue Auto, so we will see.

Has been a city dweller most it's life.

Only 180,000kms.

Seems well serviced.

Really good tyres, and good shocks.

Hopefully it'll be a diamond in the rough, but we will see, worst case I'll flick it off.

Edit: Offer Accepted. I just bought a Rangie :blink:

Great stuff

Nice work!

Always have my eye out for a Vogue LSE soft dash

They will definitely come when it stops raining. And perhaps after I've cleaned it. I've been too busy driving it and listening to the burble... (It has no stereo. It doesn't need one either.)

Pics as requested. Need to give it a clean, then I might try taking some better ones.

post-3253-1347428273.jpg

post-3253-1347428283.jpg

post-3253-1347428296.jpg

post-3253-1347428304.jpg

needs more low

I was thinking more high.. But then the GF won't be able to get in!

I was thinking more high.. But then the GF won't be able to get in!

lift kit and swampers, now your talking! kiss goodbye to any fuel economy it currently does have though! i wouldn't say no to an RR

lift kit and swampers, now your talking! kiss goodbye to any fuel economy it currently does have though! i wouldn't say no to an RR

I won't mention how cheap I got it then, don't want no jealousy :unsure:

It seems 15l/100kms is about the best it'll do. $50 from Henderson to Hamilton :blink:

Also, does anybody know where I can get a 2-bolt flange fitting towball, like the one currently on it? As I'd like to make sure I have both a 1 7/8"s (which I assume it currently is) and a 50mm.

Probably going to have to go see a towbar installer or something I'd imagine.

Need to give it a clean.

Heresy. Add more mud for that badassed "I've got a Rangie and I'm not afraid of using it" look.

Pics are cool

Don't clean it.

The classic ones look butch, the new ones look PANSY!

If you clean it, it might start looking pansy.

Cool ride, wicked sound, feel like a boss driving one of these!

Best axle articulation of any 4x4 (if the same setup as the 3 door?)