Sign in to follow this  
sascha

VW Golf (vs corolla)

Hey guys,

My mum's finally put her prado up for sale and she wants a smaller car. It will be mainly for city driving, but needs to be nice for long trips too. 4WD would be good to get up the mountain when the roads aren't too nice but not sure if it's worth it with possible fuel economy sacrifices for the rest of the time?

She's really been looking for a ~2002 model Corolla, but the nice ones seem to be around $9k with approx 100k on the clock.

Having a quick look at Golfs around the same price range, there's several for $9-10k late MK4s with very low kms:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-511840628.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-511797252.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-511840634.htm

Can anyone comment on maintenance costs of a golf vs corolla?

Ideally she'd want to spend $8k ish I think, so the above links are just an example of what sort of km's these imports have.

Is there any reason to stay away from these low km imports? With such low kms a service history isn't even that important so what else is bad about imports?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated, she's leaning towards to corollas because of the whole "European cars are unreliable, toyotas are bulletproof", but I'd rather her get a golf because, well, I like them more :)

Wonder where they have come from, that's silly low millage.

Main concern would be condition of perishable rubbers and plastics. And should also note that even with low millage they should have the cam-belt changed, tyres would be quite old also..

Worth a look into though IMHO, you would be buying a high KM Corolla even at 10k.

Mate's Golf just had a oil cooler let go and let gearbox oil into the radiator. Everything toasted, off to the wrecker. Two years ago it needed a $3500 gearbox rebuild.

You cannot kill a Corolla.

"With such low kms a service history isn't even MORE important"

Statement corrected for accuracy. These cars have potentially never been serviced.

Technically any car with a water to oil cooler can let it's oil cooler go and dump water into the device it's cooling

Usually poor cooling system maintenance causes that.

I wouldn't bother with an Auto Golf myself....

I'd buy an NZ NEW Corolla, vs any of those imports.. preferably a manual corolla, but the auto 1.8 ones go okay.

For someone after a reliable car under $10k that they will run into the ground, a Golf isn't a good idea.

You will pay a premium for a Corolla because of the name. $10k will buy you a nice NZ new Pulsar, Civic, Lancer etc. Just make sure you get one with good history etc.

You will pay a premium for a Corolla because of the name.

Another option is the Allex/Runx - as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same as a Corolla but a Jap import with a few different trim bits. The Allex has chrome trim around the windows, the Runx has black plastic.

I bought one of these 2 years ago for the wife - 2004 on 28,000kms, new condition (and I'm picky), 1.5 vvt for around $12k from memory. I recall the equivalent NZ-new Corolla was around $14-16k at the time.

Not what I'd call a 'thrilling driving experience' but perfect for what it is! It's pretty hard to go past this for a reliable a-to-b around-town runner. It's on 40,000kms now; we've replaced the battery and regularly serviced it, oil is still clean and it runs like new.

A free plug for Wilkinson Trading in Penrose - both Wayne and Blair are great guys; they looked after us well, and I still get a personal b'day card from them each year. Almost unheard of these days.

My father in law has three Corollas (2003 versions) NZ New, manuals. I can't describe how much punishment these cars have been dealt with with 12-15 male staff hammering them day in day out. CV joints are all that's been replaced on two. Reliable motoring, but not very refined if that's what you're after and they sound like they are sitting on 5000rpm at 100kph.