Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Front wheel drive concept ?

They lost me at scented aircon and broom broom noises through the speakers.

They lost me at scented aircon and broom broom noises through the speakers.

I didn't get that far... were you bored?

had to come i guess,its the only way to package cars if you want the maximum bang for buck internal space.

All the changes in bmw these days make you think that maybe they should have years ago introduced a sort of sub- brand under a different umbrella? Best of both worlds etc without having to dilute anything

All the changes in bmw these days make you think that maybe they should have years ago introduced a sort of sub- brand under a different umbrella? Best of both worlds etc without having to dilute anything

Thought thats what the Mini was

Mini is a brand that BMW felt like purchasing.... It would be as sacrilegious to introduce a 5L coupé under the MINI brand.

Mini is a brand that BMW felt like purchasing.... It would be as sacrilegious to introduce a 5L coupé under the MINI brand.

it would be sacrilegious to have a FWD BMW too.

Yawn. Agree BMW should have started a sub brand years ago.

Spotted a cute 116i today, had white detailing and was orange... but was RWD so must be good ;)

I think BMW have enough sub-brands already, MINI, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, M GmbH, M Performance, i, don't think any more are required.

I guess it's called progress.. if you want lowest emissions and best fuel consumption then you need the lowest mechanical resistance from the drivetrain which = front wheel drive unfortuantely.

Definately does not mean the end of RWD driver's cars, just FWD on this Hybrid version is all. :rolleyes:

This must be their response to the new Mercedes A Class - the target market is almost exactly the same according to this article.

Let just hope it does not end up being the pig that was the first Mercedes A Class. That was a fail for MB.

I was in a dealer meeting last week and to be honest, its all about volume, BMW needs to increase its sales volume to keep competitive in the marketplace, therefore it needs to offer cheaper easier to reach vehicles for more people.

I was in a dealer meeting last week and to be honest, its all about volume, BMW needs to increase its sales volume to keep competitive in the marketplace, therefore it needs to offer cheaper easier to reach vehicles for more people.

Pity they can't apply that concept to the sale of spare parts for all their range of motor vehicles. We pay far to much for spare parts in this country and this applies to most european makes.

I think BMW have enough sub-brands already, MINI, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, M GmbH, M Performance, i, don't think any more are required.

It's not sub-branding, just extra model line.

If Audi can have with A, S and RS with 2 and 4 door version in one model family, I am quite happy for BMW to have FWD & RWD 1-series.

This kind of starts to build on the Toyota BMW relationship that was mentioned on a co development with Toyota and BMW on a new Supra, now we know what BMW will be getting back from Toyota in return, a Corolla/Prius with a BMW badge.

It makes sense for BMW to try and expand when they are up against the VW/Audi, a company who plans to be the worlds biggest car brand before 2020, you can see why Toyota would want to help BMW to prevent that!

Lets hope they price it right down under so we can justify buying them, I know you lot pooh pooh the idea but I would totally buy one for the wife if it was priced well, would have to be around 50k though and have point of difference and greater features than a Ford Focus, Mazda 3, VW Golf or Renault Megane costing 15k less.

Does it matter what they built to meet market pressure as long as they keep building top notch high performance luxury road cars at the other end of the scale?