Sign in to follow this  
Dyl

Toyota GT86 - opinions?

Guest Simon*

Love the idea of them

This. Light, RWD, LSD - so much promise

In the flesh however I have to admit they're a bit disappointing.

Is the TRD version worked at all or is it just bodykit, suspension and wheels (a la M-Spec)?

drove one a while back and it handled amazingly, didnt go very fast but defintaly corners great. and toyota have done a good job on the auto gearbox to, shifted fast and when you told it to, no delays. just waiting for subaru to bring out an sti version, subaru have never realeased a non turbo sti and at my guess they will continue that. Ahh the benifits of working at a dealership.

and the engines not a ej20, its a completely new engine realsed eariler this year in the new designed forester, its not got fancy vvt on both intake and exhaust (i think, might only be intake on some models) chain drive, and alot more, thats just the ones i can remember. and its called an FB20

...but do you think that an STi version would be m,ore expensive than the GT86.... and god forbid the TRD?

The great selling point of the GT is the $48K price tag. The TRD is $65K which is a hang of allot for bigger brakes, two extra exhaust tips and a smaller spoiler. And its no faster

Not a true TRD then, should have all the TRD go fast bits, diff etc.

Has the BRZ been released here yet?

No BRZ yet.... i think the TRD also has some better suspension and wheels but engine and drivetrain is the same. I'm still loyal to toyota though. Not a "fan" of the BRZ as much.... not withstanding its the same bloody car haha

No BRZ yet.... i think the TRD also has some better suspension and wheels but engine and drivetrain is the same. I'm still loyal to toyota though. Not a "fan" of the BRZ as much.... not withstanding its the same bloody car haha

No point bothering with the TRD then, slow is slow, no other way of spelling it out. BRZ turbo would be cool, front engine, rear wheel drive, Limited slip diff, true sports car.

Or are Subaru 4x4ing it?

Buy a BRZ Sti when it comes out and swap the badges? haha. I am assuming they would fit perfectly

only half read this article, not sure if its Toyota themselves or some aftermarket crowd, but this might just become the definitive turbocharger versus supercharger battle

GT 86 Supercharged

Hi,

Does anyone know if they are built buy Subaru or Toyota?

From what I have read sound like they have Subaru engine, suspension and floor pan is from Impreza and injection is Toyota.

Toyota are trying hard to link it with with the AE82 but I suspect the Subaru badge might be a higher value item for resale.

Dave.

Thanks Nick, missed that (AE86)

The ones I used to work on were the front wheel drive NZ new AE82 GT lift back and AE82 GT hatch back, superb cars with a real willing 4AGE engine.

Dave.

Edited by 87M3@NZ

Hi,

Does anyone know if they are built buy Subaru or Toyota?

From what I have read sound like they have Subaru engine, suspension and floor pan is from Impreza and injection is Toyota.

Toyota are trying hard to link it with with the AE82 but I suspect the Subaru badge might be a higher value item for resale.

Dave.

They are both built entirely by Subaru.

I was also a fan of the NZGT AE82, have had a few and they are great fun cars, this new 86 is very good, have had a good drive of one and thoroughly enjoyed myself, driving position and seats are perfect and the chassis balance is very nice.

So much hype, uglier than a bag of assholes and the 0-100 time might as well be measured by a calendar not a stop watch. My near on 13 year old 320d is only 2 seconds to 100kph slower!

Personally; not for me :(

So much hype, uglier than a bag of assholes and the 0-100 time might as well be measured by a calendar not a stop watch. My near on 13 year old 320d is only 2 seconds to 100kph slower!

Personally; not for me :(

2 seconds is a long time in a 0-100 time... The difference between 5 and 7 for example, one is rather average and the other is just a tad impressive.

Personally I like them both, and if they stick around I may even buy one in a few years time. (Once I manage to leave the rat race! ;) )

Was just about to say that.

True but when we're talking 8 seconds in a "sports car"

If Chris Harris is a fan, who am I to argue?

The specs on paper are very similar to a 328i; ~1300kg, ~150kw, RWD, coupe etc. Yet it is obviously in a different league. From everything I have heard its all bout the 'non measurables' that make it great.

True but when we're talking 8 seconds in a "sports car"

Only the auto which will be fine for hairdressers. The manual seems to be a full 2 seconds faster.