Sign in to follow this  
Dyl

Toyota GT86 - opinions?

Ive been looking closer and closer at the Toyota GT86. I really like it. I think its looks are great, the drive I hear is brilliant, the price is great, 5 years free service and warantee blah blah blah......

but is it another RX8/350Z and be uncool or worth bugger all in a year or so? Im intersted...

They look absolutely fantastic! The powerplant was a mistake, just a modern version of the EJ20 so they're not a quick car.

It has isofix Greg haha.... a sad day for us men when that makes a difference LOL

I haven't driven one, but this might be of use:

(if only to watch something entertaining).

It has isofix Greg haha.... a sad day for us men when that makes a difference LOL

Most modern cars do now :lol:

Drove one recently but not for any great length of time. I think they look great, both inside and out. You can see that a lot of time and thought has gone into various aspects of the design. Forget about trying to fit anyone in the rear, there is absolutely no room.

I thought it handled very well but was dissapointed with the acceleration off the mark. Mind you, I was driving the heaver auto model. At 8 odd seconds 0-100 its definitely no rocket ship but from what I felt, it would be fantastic to drive on tight, windy back roads!

Attached are a few photos of the one I drove. The photos of the slightly damaged 86 happened during a Port Hills test drive. I reckon it'll buff right out.....

post-1591-1350976691.jpg

post-1591-1350976698.jpg

post-1591-1350976702.jpg

post-1591-1350976708.jpg

post-1591-1350976714.jpg

post-1591-1350976723.jpg

post-1591-1350976730.jpg

post-1591-1350976738.jpg

Mostly heard positives about this car other than the acceleration.

I think these are certainly cooler than RX8s or 350zs.

Interior seems to look very nice.

Personally I would wait for a FI version then it would be an AWESOME car.

Down the bank huh ? .. haha Was that you behind the wheel. Dealership test drive ?

Down the bank huh ? .. haha Was that you behind the wheel. Dealership test drive ?

Definitely not me Josh!

A driver, of a unnamed nationality took it for a test drive with a salesman. They took a corner too wide, hit some grit on the road, lost it and went down a bank hitting a couple of trees on the way down.

At least we know they pass the crash test lol

the engine cover says Subaru??????

A driver, of a unnamed nationality took it for a test drive with a salesman.

I think that says it all Brett haha

Wasn't there an article on how its the successor of the e30 M3? I hope it doesn't meet the same fate as the celica did; Porsche for school teacher's

the engine cover says Subaru??????

Yep, that's why they're interesting ;) It's not a corolla with a pointy front and a low roof. It was a "joint" collaborataion with Subaru and Toyota. RWD too :D

147kw from a 2.0 NA isn't too bad, and the manual version claims 0-100 in 6.1 seconds. I'd imagine there's a lack of mid range torque. I'd be more inclined to go for the Subaru version. Especially when a turbo version becomes available.

I think that says it all Brett haha

Wasn't there an article on how its the successor of the e30 M3? I hope it doesn't meet the same fate as the celica did; Porsche for school teacher's

i read that too. but then they said that about the M1/135M/1M whatever its called too. would have thought this 86BRZ and that would be totally different cars in real life.

whatever, id still rock an 86. ill have to put the word around my family to get a collection jar going for my 21st. one can dream :rolleyes:

edit:

Yep, that's why they're interesting ;) It's not a corolla with a pointy front and a low roof. It was a "joint" collaborataion with Subaru and Toyota. RWD too :D

yep i realise that. but M60B40 range rovers have land rover badges not BMW ones, fords and mazdas have the right ones on. for a 50k car, i would have thought detail like that would have been done properly.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Jeez, what a fate for that red 86. What wheels are those on the non crashed one? They're brilliant. I drove the auto demo and was underwhelmed with the performance. I'm driving a manual trd next monday. Should be better...

yep i realise that. but M60B40 range rovers have land rover badges not BMW ones, fords and mazdas have the right ones on. for a 50k car, i would have thought detail like that would have been done properly.

It was done properly. It isn't one manufacturer using anothers engine and badging it as their own, it is a true collaboration, made by the both of them. The Subaru one says Toyota on it as well.

Better than all the cars out there with Mitsubishi electronics, and Mitsi badges everywhere under the hood!

Jeez, what a fate for that red 86. What wheels are those on the non crashed one? They're brilliant. I drove the auto demo and was underwhelmed with the performance. I'm driving a manual trd next monday. Should be better...

I thought the wheels on the non crashed one looked quite good too. From memory they were a TSW wheel. I can find out the exact model if you wish.

Id like to hear what you think of the manual TRD model. Id say that'll be a completly different kettle of fish!

Edit: TSW Nurburgring Rotary

Edited by 3 SERIES

It was done properly. It isn't one manufacturer using anothers engine and badging it as their own, it is a true collaboration, made by the both of them. The Subaru one says Toyota on it as well.

Better than all the cars out there with Mitsubishi electronics, and Mitsi badges everywhere under the hood!

oh yeah, now you mention it, my Volvo 940 Turbo wagon i used to have had a Mitsubishi turbo, not sure about intercooler etc though

hmmm have been a bit unimpressed by the skinny tires theyve put on it so people feel more on edge because of the lack of power.

I think you can do better dylan.

I've only ever seen the Subaru version here. I'm not sure if there is a Toyota version on sale here (but then I've never looked either). I think for a small car, they would be pretty good.

Ive been looking closer and closer at the Toyota GT86. I really like it. I think its looks are great, the drive I hear is brilliant, the price is great, 5 years free service and warantee blah blah blah......

but is it another RX8/350Z and be uncool or worth bugger all in a year or so? Im intersted...

Like you will keep a car for 5 years :P

They are fun, not practical but fun, pure selfish fun.

Love the idea of them, shame they're so frightfully ugly.

Ps, RX8 is not uncool.

I could never ever bring myself to pay money for one. Completely doesn't interest me.. maybe it's the fact 12 year old girls hype themselves over it.