Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

New leather colour

As part of my E39 restoration project I'm planning on recolouring or reupholstering my (currently black) leather interior. I won't be changing the carpets, mats or roof lining. I've narrowed it down to two colours with a few pros and cons to each and wouldn't mind a few opinions to help me decide between them. My car is Cosmos black.

If you think both are horrible and want to let the world know how horrible you think they are... save it, I'm not interested. Useful and considered feedback only please, folks:

Option 1:

Cinnamon

Posted Image

Pros - it's my favourite interior colour; it'll look great with my walnut trim

Cons - it's light so harder to keep clean (thought that's not a biggie); the blacked out exterior will not look quite as good if the interior is light-coloured; the roof lining is grey so it may not go as well with that.

It looks beautiful in this E39 wagon

Chateau red/burgundy

Posted Image

Pros - will look great with the black exterior and work well with the grey roof lining and black carpet; darker colour so won't look dirty as easily.

Cons - the walnut trim won't look as good with burgundy IMO (and I really like the walnut trim) - may need to tint/wrap the trim or replace with piano black.

Edited by jeffbebe

since you asked:

if it was mine id go option 2, but id like to see option 1 done so thats my vote.

:P

Chateau red/burgundy- all the way :P

6 - 2 in favour of Cinnamon so far. Incidentally, how mint is the guy's 530 wagon in that bimmerforum post?!

Edited by jeffbebe

^ A real credit to the owner, and I hope he's not a clean freak, because it'll get dirty again real quick lol

Have you seen this?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....=35545&st=0

To go to those lengths restoring, he clearly is a clean freak!

No, hadn't seen that post but was something I considered doing myself but haven't had much luck finding a decent tan interior. Also, the caramel/cinnamon interiors have been a long-held dream of mine so decided that's what I'd try and do.

Obviously this is all very subjective, as YOU have to like it!

I LOVE our grey leather with the aluminium looking trim, but I'd pick you'd HATE it based on what you say you like.

Of the two choices above, I'd go cinnamon too. The burgundy one looks a bit washed out or something. It needs more red, or more depth or something.

I'd take the cinnamon over the "normal" tan - that tan looks wrong in a dark E39 (especially black exterior ones!) and feels old man-ish. The cinnamon looks luxurious, not sporty, but not granpa and his pipe either. It's a nice strong colour, without being frightening like some "individual" interiors are!

Go Cinnamon!

Obviously this is all very subjective, as YOU have to like it!

I LOVE our grey leather with the aluminium looking trim, but I'd pick you'd HATE it based on what you say you like.

Of the two choices above, I'd go cinnamon too. The burgundy one looks a bit washed out or something. It needs more red, or more depth or something.

I'd take the cinnamon over the "normal" tan - that tan looks wrong in a dark E39 (especially black exterior ones!) and feels old man-ish. The cinnamon looks luxurious, not sporty, but not granpa and his pipe either. It's a nice strong colour, without being frightening like some "individual" interiors are!

Go Cinnamon!

I'm fast becoming an old man and my car's a 528i not an M5 so I'm definitely going for luxury over sporty. I do quite like the grey leather and titanium trim but the thing I love about my E39 is that touch of old-school luxury and I think they grey and silver looks more modern. The exterior looks sporty enough I want the interior to go with my flat cap, tweeds and tan driving gloves!! haha

Black and cinnamon will also match my dog - which is, of course, very important!

post-16586-1351202337.jpg

As part of my E39 restoration project I'm planning on recolouring or reupholstering my (currently black) leather interior. I won't be changing the carpets, mats or roof lining. I've narrowed it down to two colours with a few pros and cons to each and wouldn't mind a few opinions to help me decide between them. My car is Cosmos black.

If you think both are horrible and want to let the world know how horrible you think they are... save it, I'm not interested. Useful and considered feedback only please, folks:

Option 1:

Cinnamon

Posted Image

Pros - it's my favourite interior colour; it'll look great with my walnut trim

Cons - it's light so harder to keep clean (thought that's not a biggie); the blacked out exterior will not look quite as good if the interior is light-coloured; the roof lining is grey so it may not go as well with that.

It looks beautiful in this E39 wagon

Chateau red/burgundy

Posted Image

Pros - will look great with the black exterior and work well with the grey roof lining and black carpet; darker colour so won't look dirty as easily.

Cons - the walnut trim won't look as good with burgundy IMO (and I really like the walnut trim) - may need to tint/wrap the trim or replace with piano black.

Burgundy for me but maybe because this would look good in mine - who is going going to do this done for you and whats the cost?

Oooooh... the vote could go either way! starting to change!

It would match your dog nicely! and not look old manish in cinnamon.

the good thing with leather is that it is easy to keep clean.I would go mid to dark grey myself...not too dark mind

A little off topic but did 528is come with the sports seats or just the comfort seats?

Burgundy for me but maybe because this would look good in mine - who is going going to do this done for you and whats the cost?

Looking at a whole range of options from recolouring to reupholstering. So far best deals have been from Newton Road Auto Interiors on Newton Road for new leather and Fibernew for recolour. Haven't decided which I'm going to opt for. Recolour is significantly cheaper (about half the price) but I've had conflicting opinions about recolouring black leather - some say it's impossible, while others say it's no problem.

When/if I get it done I'll post full results. Might do some of the work myself too, if I recolour, so will take plenty of pics.

A little off topic but did 528is come with the sports seats or just the comfort seats?

Mine has comfort seats (which personally I prefer to sports as it allows the top half of the seat adjustment) but it's an early (1996) model. Not sure if later 528s had sport options. They probably did.

the good thing with leather is that it is easy to keep clean.I would go mid to dark grey myself...not too dark mind

Grey is very practical but if you lived in Ponsonby you'd be a bit sick of grey. Every other car is a bloody grey Audi with zero personality... And they all paint they're frickin' houses white or grey to match too. Dull. Life needs a bit less practicality and a bit more colour and fun if you ask me!

Grey is very practical but if you lived in Ponsonby you'd be a bit sick of grey. Every other car is a bloody grey Audi with zero personality... And they all paint they're frickin' houses white or grey to match too. Dull. Life needs a bit less practicality and a bit more colour and fun if you ask me!

You should have mentioned that earlier.....

Posted Image

You could change your user name to Jeffbeebee

Edited by Allanw

You should have mentioned that earlier.....

Posted Image

You could change your user name to Jeffbeebee

Wow. That certainly stands out. Would look more at home in mini than a bimmer.