Sign in to follow this  
maxlatimer

1996 323i coupe

Hi, thought id introduce my self.

I have been looking through all the bimmersport forums trying to weigh up the options of what car to purchase, and a decided on a 1996 323i coupe auto.

Being a jap import im aware that it has the dredded jatco gearbox, however it is my plan to save up for a manual conversion.

I have read in a forum post somewhere recommending a good place to take it to (for a manual conversion) in auckland, however i cant for the life of me find it now... so any ideas?

The car drives amazingly, this is my first BMW and i now know what Ive been missing!

However, the only little thing Ive noticed in the last couple days of owner ship is my temp gauge, it sits a couple mm past the middle line. It is constantly at this point... Any ideas? Is this normal? Where does everyone elses gauge sit?

Cheers, I will upload some pics as soon as I get a chance :D

Edited by Paris

The manual conversion on my 323i completely changed my car. Go with a lightened m2 flywheel too at the same time. Pics of your car?

However, the only little thing Ive noticed in the last couple days of owner ship is my temp gauge, it sits a couple mm past the middle line. It is constantly at this point... Any ideas? Is this normal? Where does everyone elses gauge sit?

My temp also sits a couple mm past the middle line, I just assume that is the way it sits. But does yours go down? Or slowly move up while the car is warming up?

My temp also sits a couple mm past the middle line, I just assume that is the way it sits. But does yours go down? Or slowly move up while the car is warming up?

Hi lawrence,

umm from what ive noticed so far (only had the car two days), once it gets up to heat, it sits a little past half way and stays there for the whole time.

Ive been told by 'Brent' that most jap imports sit at the temp so nothing to worry about.

But i took it down to my local mechanics, and they pointed out a common problem with the 323's, the viscous fan has got loose and has no resistance left in it, still works but from what im told if im sitting in traffic (which auckland is full of) especially after a long run, that it might over heat.

Ive read alot about removing the viscous fan all together and replacing it with an electric fan?

Hi lawrence,

umm from what ive noticed so far (only had the car two days), once it gets up to heat, it sits a little past half way and stays there for the whole time.

Ive been told by 'Brent' that most jap imports sit at the temp so nothing to worry about.

But i took it down to my local mechanics, and they pointed out a common problem with the 323's, the viscous fan has got loose and has no resistance left in it, still works but from what im told if im sitting in traffic (which auckland is full of) especially after a long run, that it might over heat.

Ive read alot about removing the viscous fan all together and replacing it with an electric fan?

Hi

I have had my 330 for just over a month and have my fair share in the auckland traffic and found no issues with temp increase, I noticed the placement of the needle as well first day and kept a close eye to make sure no issues. If you do the fan swap let me know how it goes

The viscous fan clutch has peculiar characteristics to test... Have a good read online for how to test one and at what temps. Just because you manage to spin it doesn't mean that it is bad.

off- topic: How was elecs?

The viscous fan clutch has peculiar characteristics to test... Have a good read online for how to test one and at what temps. Just because you manage to spin it doesn't mean that it is bad.

off- topic: How was elecs?

If thats the case, Ill have a read and get a second opinion.

***And turns out the exam is tomorrow arvo :huh: haha***