Sign in to follow this  
lightshine

my opinion on using kiwi shoe polish for bumpers

It sucks. I don't see what is so good about it. Maybe I didn't get the right stuff I saw some people had used kiwi leather dye and some had used the instant wax shine. Maybe kiwi are doing some product rebranding when i went to the supermarket they had a bottle that looked like the instant wax shine polish but had new formula on it and was called wax rich color shine this is the one I got. they also had kids scuff black shoe polish by the kiwi brand.

Anyway it may be a great shoe polish but for bumpers it sucks. It is liquid but goes tacky on application and if you rub it in it goes streaky. I only did a small but then gave up. before i was using an old bottle of simoniz bumper and trim polish and that stuff was awesome. But i cannot seem to find anyone who sells it in nz?

Any other tips or opinions?

Would have thought you'd use the nugget not the liquid...

Yeah.... surely we all understand that shoe polish is for shoes and leeches into the leather, impregnating it with black dye.

BUMPERS ARE PLASTIC, with very very low porosity. Nothing will reverse the chemical process of UV rays. Have the bumpers professionally repainted black.

get your sisters or gf's hair dryer and plug it in and point it at the bumpers and watch what happens, will do what you want

Get Wurth Bumper Dye.

It works a treat, and lasts YEARS! I "painted" the inside plastic on an old suzuki van with the grey stuff, and it was brilliant.

Panelbeaters have used the stuff for years It dries a satin or semigloss finish - on textured bumpers it looks good.

That liquid tire black sh*t is awesome, painted the windscreen and rear window trim that had faded, and my entire roof liner with it...still looks pretty good haha

I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with the idea of painting plastic bumpers I just don't like it. The old simoniz stuff I had had a dye in it and it lasted at least a month. I might look into that wurth stuff. I don't feel anything without a dye will last I have heard the mothers stuff only last a week or two

I don't think I will ever feel comfortable with the idea of painting plastic bumpers I just don't like it. The old simoniz stuff I had had a dye in it and it lasted at least a month. I might look into that wurth stuff. I don't feel anything without a dye will last I have heard the mothers stuff only last a week or two

Plenty of black bumpers are actually already painted black.... Unsure about E30s though, you would think I could remember after owning 6 or 7 of them haha

I removed the trims, used plenty of cutting polish to polish them.

sanded back the bumper, used random bumper/trim paint... Clear coated over the top and reattached the trims, looks good.

Failing that just remove the trims and colour-match them.

Plenty of black bumpers are actually already painted black.... Unsure about E30s though, you would think I could remember after owning 6 or 7 of them haha

only colour matched ones typically found on UK imports and usually NZ new cars too (but not my 316i) are painted, most jap ones are unpainted run of the mill grey-corolla-collered bumpers even on well specced 325i

only colour matched ones typically found on UK imports and usually NZ new cars too (but not my 316i) are painted, most jap ones are unpainted run of the mill grey-corolla-collered bumpers even on well specced 325i

SE models had colour matched bumpers (except the rub strip) and the M-techs (obvioulsy). A good number of NZ cars and most UK cars imported are SE's, but not many 316's were over here, it was mostly 325i's.

SE models had colour matched bumpers (except the rub strip) and the M-techs (obvioulsy). A good number of NZ cars and most UK cars imported are SE's, but not many 316's were over here, it was mostly 325i's.

yes

For exterior trim, solution Finish is fantastic, if a little expensive.

I prep with diluted IPA, apply the product, wipe off after a while and it has my trim looking great for months...

Try some blackwow it is excellent for restoring black plastic trim