Sign in to follow this  
gouba

BBS RS insurance valuation

Hi all

tried this in general discussion but figured i might get more luck here.

I'm having a bit of an issue with State insurance regarding my wheels. I have a set of 15 inch BBS RS original rims (7.5inch fronts, 8 inch rears, 1/4 height caps), when i tried to have them listed on my insurance they said they needed to get them valued before it could be approved.

They have come back with a valuation of $600 for the set, the only thing close to that is a set of cheap replicas. I would struggle to find anything cheaper than $1500 for a set.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it? Or know a way to get my wheels properly valued?

Thanks,

Matt

Get them valued by a Mag Wheel retailer or a registered motor vehicle dealer. If you list your location people can suggest an appropriate place.

I got my whole car and wheels both valued at a classic car dealer in Wellington, State was more than happy with that.

Get them valued by a Mag Wheel retailer or a registered motor vehicle dealer. If you list your location people can suggest an appropriate place.

I got my whole car and wheels both valued at a classic car dealer in Wellington, State was more than happy with that.

McGuiness Classics? thier old premesis is same complex as my work

McGuiness Classics? thier old premesis is same complex as my work

Yup that's the one. He was awesome, valued the car at $3k and mags at $500. Even gave me a call the other day to update me on their shift of premises lol.

Yes Roy is his name, hes an incredibly knowledgeable guy on any car you could possibly think of at least 20 years old, i guess thats what happens when you've been doing it for the 40-50 or so years he has. Even spotted my E34 had an S5 body kit on it, most BMW nuts wouldnt even recognise that.

I need him to value my POS... I don't even think you'd buy a sedan as good as my touring for the laughable amount my Insurance company will give me :S

The main stream insurance companies are not intersted in you or your car just your money.

They want a low value on your car so they can write it off, they then auction it for more than they paid you because the parts guys can extract the value you know is in the wheels etc.

They use a "market value" derived from trade me which essentially means any reasonable car is undervalued because it is being compared to all the poverty pack beaten up jap import shitters being flogged off on trademe.

Short answer is if you can do it change to someone like Protecta, Star, John Baker etc.

I have an agreed value policy at 2.5 times what AMI valued my car and it costs me less (the agreed value is in line with a Jerry Claytons Valuation)

Bit of a generalisation. I've got the touring insured through NZI ( through a broker who has handled my families insurance + family business insurance to be fair ) for far more than what they originally thought it was worth, and more than it was bought for.

Also, before I insured through NZI, I got AMI to give me a quote, and they were incredibly good. Spoke to a young lady for about 30 minutes as she went backwards and forwards with someone else in the office about the car, in the end, they had agreed in principal to value the car at what I wanted, pending a valuation from the guy who ended up doing it. AMI was actually cheaper than NZI, but because of the other insurance policies we have with NZI, it works out cheaper overall ( just not on the car ).